PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk performance books

onesubdrvr
07-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Specifically for the SBC

I've read Moore's book, and it's OK, but I think there are alot of books out there that can give more information - specifically on combination of components / etc.

I've got Vizard's "How To Build Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a budget!"
Moore's "Small-Block Chevy Marine Performance"
Vizard's "How to rebuild your Small-Block Chavy"
and Fischer / Waar "How to Hotrod Small Block Chevy's"

None cover F.I.

One of Vizard's books covers some pretty cool combo's, but not for marine use.

And alot of detailed info that's not really useful (ie comparison of rods / pistons) Cast vs Hypers vs Forged vs Shot Peened / etc.

Any suggestions on the authoritive performance book for SB's?

Also, a few of these books are outdated with just small revisions to cover some of the newer components (ie Vortec heads)

Thanks
Wayne

Cuda
07-17-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't thing anybody understands FI.:eek!:

mrfixxall
07-17-2006, 11:16 PM
I don't thing anybody understands FI.:eek!:

did he forget the E:confused:

Moody Blu'
07-17-2006, 11:35 PM
well, not about sbc but related in a way, corky bells book "maximum boost"about turbos is one that is a good read, he goes into detail about forced indutcion more specifically turbos.

I talked with him and built a custom turbo kit for a rx-7 with a killer B motor(mazda 13b rotary motor-ie wankel design) and i can say he taught me alot about forced induction. im thinking about doing some sort of turbo on my boat:eek:

onesubdrvr
07-18-2006, 03:39 AM
did he forget the E:confused:
Ah yes,...sorry, not Forced Induction (although looking for a book there too)

but Fuel Injection (MPI / EFI / TBI / etc.)

Thanks
Wayne

gcarter
07-18-2006, 06:01 AM
Wayne, I've seen a book on Ford EFI, but not GM.

Carl C
07-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Do you subscribe to Hot Boat and Powerboat magazines? A lot of good tech articles and projects show up here and are up to date. Books of this type are quickly out-dated. JMHO:boat:

BUIZILLA
07-18-2006, 06:33 AM
I don't thing anybody understands FI.:eek!:I don't think thats a true statement. In my business there are 3 types of FI people... 1) those that refuse to understand:boggled: 2) those that are too ignorant to understand:bonk: 3) those that are too naive to understand:smash:

other than that, it's easy to understand...

JH :wink:

Cuda
07-18-2006, 07:17 AM
I was more or less refering to so many people who have tons of problems having their EFI systems calibrated for modified engines.

There are also only three kinds of people. People who can count, and people who can't. :)

onesubdrvr
07-18-2006, 08:35 PM
the downside to many of those books you mentioned wayne is that they spend entirely too much time trying to tell you how to identify high performance factory components... in todays aftermarket, that isn't really all that relevent... well it is but not to that great an extent...
as far as fuel injection... no voodoo too it...
EXACTLY,... That's what I was trying to say :boggled: Anyway, my point is, I'd like to see a book that said what Cam / manifold / head / etc combos worked and WHY, so that someone could make an intelligent decision about the type of engine THEY want to build, Obviously we don't want Drag-strip engines for our boats (the Cam restrictions, and RPM range needed to make the power), I'd say Ideally something like a circle track car with peak HP at about 5000-5500 RPM (depending on drive).

For example, no-one uses a Chevy Dual Quad (staggered) manifold but seems like it would make good high RPM power (3-7K rpms) Seems like more work could be done for marine performance - targeting everything to 5k rpm's as a max, with great throttle response above 2k rpm,.....

Anyway, back to my normal empty brain
Wayne

maddad
07-19-2006, 05:54 AM
There is one called "How to build big inch small blocks". It gets into port volumes, cross sections and their affect on the torque curve with regards to how many inches your feeding. I found it interesting. Also spells out cam timing events and which ones are critical for torque/h.p. at different rpm's.

BUIZILLA
07-19-2006, 06:53 AM
There is one called "How to build big inch small blocks". I'd love to find this book, i've heard about it, but never seen one on the stands.

JH

Cuda
07-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Jim, what do you thing about putting a carb on an EFI engine? I know where I can get a long block, but I hear the EFI for it is exorbitant.

BUIZILLA
07-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanx Rootsy.... I just found it on Overtsock.com and bought it.

Cuda, hell yeah a carb will work, just see if the long block is a Vortec or non-Vortec head, get an intake to match and the rest is basic........

JH

Cuda
07-19-2006, 07:41 AM
It's a 525 EFI longblock. Merlin or Dart intake and an 850 Demon carb sound about right?

BUIZILLA
07-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Sure, why not..........

I may just have an intake for it too.....

and a 950HP Holley carb........ oop's, it's not marine specific, but....

:yes: