PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Owners

rktomp
12-27-2003, 01:17 PM
I have a question for all the 22 Classic owners. Does the 22 Classic Chine Walk? If so at what speeds, trim settings, ect.
Bob
Classic 16 owner

boldts
12-27-2003, 02:17 PM
This is a question for one of the Super Charged 22 owners since they obviously have higher speeds to tell you about. My 22 Classic used to porpose so bad, it was no fun to drive at any speed, but WOT when it would finally settle down and run flat. At the time, the prop was a regular Mirage 23". Boat was only running 65MPH on GPS. At the suggestion of some other more experienced 22 owners, I bought a Turbo 1 prop. It has a smaller diameter, so in most cases, you can run more prop pitch.

In my case, I found that a 22" pitch was the best for my boat and it netted 69MPH on GPS. The boat has never chine walked at my speeds. Like I said, there are a lot of faster 22 Classics out there.

If you are experiencing chine walking, I believe it may be more a case of your set-up than the boat itself. I'm sure more qualified members will chime in here. Good Luck and you may want to try a Turbo Props (http://www.turbo-props.com) on the boat to settle her down.

Barry Phillips
12-27-2003, 03:31 PM
My boat is a 02 22 Classic with a 496 Mag, rated at 375 hp turning a 23" Mirage Plus. The boat has a top speed of 70 mph on the speedo. Although there is a slight lean to starboard, which I can correct with the trim labs. I have pushed the drive angle right to the trim alarm with no sign of chine walk, the hull is rock steady. I do not experience porpoising untill 3000 rpm, which can be kept under contoll with the tabs in the down position. The boat seems very sensitive to tab positions though. The port and starboard tab must be kept in fairly close alingment, or the boat will roll up on it's side. Drive angle and tabs need only slight ajustments. A trim tab indicator would be a good investment.

SO-SLO

pmreed
12-27-2003, 07:41 PM
I've got a '99 22C with the 415 hp 502 with a 25p Mirage Plus. I run low 70s GPS. I have encountered chine walk more than once. I seem to get it in the high 60s. Not really a problem, but it will surprise :eek: you the first time you encounter it. You learn to drive through it.

Phil

Air 22
12-27-2003, 08:18 PM
After following Dr. Dan on many trips :D in my 1995 22 Classic 454Mag w/Merc 23 prop I've learned that the 22 is NOT a point and go boat. You have to drive this boat using trim tabs and drive trim.(This is the fun part)
Various water conditions require differnt settings. Probably the #1 thing to do first is find the neutal postion of the drive and the tabs. Simple procedure on the trailer using a level and ruler. Once the positions are found make a reference point on your gauges(colored tape) so when driving u know where neutral actually is. The 22 Classic requires several hours to become familiar w/ especially at higher speeds 60+ or so.(For those w/less driving experience) ....This not to say though in rough water at slower speeds you'd better have it trimmed correctly or it will be a sore :( possibly damaging, wet ride home. The 22 Classic will chine in the 60's mph range if not trimmed right and the problem just magnifies itself the faster you go. Some of these guys have boats that reach 90mph+ eek! plus requiring much larger tabs or K-planes. Any speeds really over 70 mph external steering is recommended but thats another topic. My boat reaches 70-71 and in the beginning i experienced the "Chine Walking" but corrected the problem w/ trim tabs extended properly. This knowledge all came from this site along w/ many exhilirating hours at the wheel following and listening to those who know the "Right Stuff" wink

rktomp
12-28-2003, 06:43 AM
What about porpousing? My 16 likes to do it around 3000rpm, but I can get rid of it with tabs. However, at high speeds, close to wot, when the boat starts to chine walk, I am really reluctant to use any tabs.
Bob

Rootsy
12-28-2003, 11:57 AM
RK,

you can significantly help your 16 by setting it up with a different prop. tabs will help... just drop the left tab at WOT a bit cause your boat will ALWAYS fall left to start the chinewalking (you do have a Right hand propeller right?)...

if you notice, to drive out of the chinewalk you have to bump the wheel right or drive in a big sweeping right arc... therefore counter acting the torque reaction which causes you to fall left... so drop that left tab til she levels out.. you my very well scrub off some speed though... OR you can always trim the drive "IN" to push more hull back into the water and get some strake cutting through to provide some balance... when you are trimmed WAY out on the 16, past the inner strake you are riding on a nice rounded smooth surface... kinda like rolling that round shampoo bottle around in the bathtub eh...

different propellers give different charactaristics of handling, speed and ride...

the 16 is pretty sensative to weight too... with 31 gallons of fuel in my 16 it is like a rock... with 5 gallons she feels like a bobber in big water... nose up nose down...

Root - tabless :rolleyes:

rktomp
12-28-2003, 02:56 PM
I currently have a hydromotive 4 blade prop on the boat..It helped tremdously..but still have chine walk at wot..Have boat up for sale,,need bigger..but will try the left tab trick. I am currently looking for a Classic 22, Zx22, or Z22, and am feeling current boat owners as to performace and handling..
Bob

Air 22
12-28-2003, 07:24 PM
The 16/18 Classics are different from the 22 Classic in handling characterisics. "Chine Walking" at WOT can be eliminated/reduced w/ proper trim tab selection as discussed by Rootsy. Without using the tabs most will agree "Chine Walking" will occur especially at high top end speeds. wink You'll have fun w/ your 22 just like in all Donzi's.. :D

Air 22
12-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Most 22 Classics don't go 93+mph wink or have external steering that improves the handling characteristics.... :p Tabs help reduce the problem as Rootsy & Barry pointed out.

Air 22
12-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Thanks Ted.. Recommended by the NTSB b/c of many high speed boating accidents, The U.S. Coast Guard Boating Safety Circular states "chine-walking is controlled by small properly timed, and continuous steering corrections, by trim correction or both. It also helps to have a very tight steering system w/ minimal backlash or wheel play" Yes on the GPS instruction....always luv to here from the experts :p

roadtrip se
12-29-2003, 09:22 AM
Before:
22 Classic with 502 and no hydraulic steering.
68-72. Never ran my tabs unless I had a weight balance issue. Typically tried to resolve the weight issue first.

After:
22 Classic with 500, hydraulic steering, and a shortie. 78-82. Never run my tabs. Actually have modified my tab stops to get the things higher out of the water, as they drag on most stock Classics and scrub speed.

I've been in other "high performance" boats that would try to start chine walking every time you ran them. The 22 is very smooth and predictable, but it is also a component of the driver, their experience at reading what the boat and the water are telling them, and not running the boat so loose that it wants to do strange things.

Todd
"Marking my calendar as one of the rare days that I agreed with Ted on something. biggrin. "

Air 22
12-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Todd...I agree w/ you after more experience a driver can resolve the "walking" IF it occurs. The trim-tab selection is very small only to the point of just barely skimming the H2o but not so much that it drags. My reference was training I recieved in the U.S. Coast Guard and the Boating Safety Circular. We were not reaching 90mph speeds so I'm interested in the fast guys techniques... thank you and Ted :D

rktomp
12-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Question again. Some of you are experiencing porpoising or not with the classic 22? Also, it is interesting some of you have chine walk and some dont, this is strange on the same hull design.
Bob

boldts
12-29-2003, 11:56 AM
My whole porposing problem was fixed simply by changing the prop to a Turbo 1. I never run tabs unless as expressed before, weight issues in the boat or sometimes in a very hard crosswind. The 22 is extremely weight sensitive. You put 3 grown-ups in the back seat, and not only do you need to trim all the way in, but often times use the tabs in a down position until the boat gets up on plane. It has been mentioned that the 22 Donzi Criterion because of it's single bench seat located further back to in front of the engine, carries the bow higher than the Classic model with the passenger weight most of the time in the front 2 buckets. I've seen and experienced this fact, so I don't question it. It works the same way how-ever in any of the Classics. As Jamie Root has said, his 16 gets loose with 5 gals of fuel compared to 30 + gals of fuel.

Time behind the wheel of any boat ia always the best way to learn what it likes and doesn't like. When your testing, just use your safty gear and engine cut-off cord. Learn the boat and then know it's limits.

Barry Phillips
12-29-2003, 12:37 PM
As I mentioned before my 22 dose not chine walk. It's my 2nd Classic the first being a 350 powered 18 with a Bravo 1. The 18 ran 65 to 66 mph confirmed. My 18 did not have tabs, so everything had to be controlled with drive trim and steering inputs. The 18 could chine walk slightly when really flying, but it never felt unstable. A friend of mine has 21' Super Boat Legend with a ProMax mounted on a bracket. This boat can be out right scary above 65 MPH. I think as you need to develop a feel for any Classic, you will counter steer without even thinking about it. As I mentioned before my 22 has a slight lean to starboard which could be caused by the duel battery set up, I'm not sure. I assumed it was caused by the prop torque effect on a longer narrow hull. My 18 never leaned except in quartering wind a water conditions. I'm going try running my 22 with one battery next year to see if it affects the lean. Although it only takes a slight adjustment of the right tab to correct the condition, precise adjustments seem difficult without trim indicators.

SO-SLO

Woodsy
12-29-2003, 04:50 PM
RK...

To answer your question, the 22 Classic does not inherently porpoise. It will porpoise if you over trim the outdrive relative to the speed you are going. ANY boat will porpoise under those conditions.

Woodsy Von Outboard

Rootsy
12-29-2003, 05:00 PM
just for the record ted... i don't have any trim tabs wink

Rootsy - drivin that puppy...

MOP
12-29-2003, 09:58 PM
I have been lurking but staying out of this one!! Never owned one, Never rode in one! Now one is sitting in my yard that I only heard the motor run twice, once to see if it did and once to winterize it and never got it wet. The damn thing sounds great but not enough poop. Tempest is coming out along with the Alpha setup, it looks like a 383 juiced enough to turn the BH will do the pushing. I'm picking everyone brain for the right parts setup. I'm taking in all the pointers and tips and hope to be up and running for spring.

RedDog
12-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Hey Phil - I didn't know you had picked up a Black Hawk drive - it ought to be interesting.

MOP
12-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Red Dog I have not given up on the A drive yet just a postponement, The drive is brand new and I did gather all the major parts. but projected cost and time to finish got me thinking. I had seen Chris's drive and when it popped up on the 1 day special I grabbed it, and picked up a brand new complete transon setup with rams. I will put this together for next season with a new SB stroker. But like I said I am not totaly done with the A drive, it is something I have wanted to play with for many years and without doubt the most reliable fastest drive anyone can run. If I do let it go I have promised it to a member and have two buds pissed that they can't have it. Lets see how I like the BH time will tell.

Pismo
02-07-2004, 04:43 PM
'96 Classic 22 with 502 MPI, best ever is 74.5mph on GPS with no walk, no tabs, stock steering, stock everything. 25" Mirage Plus right at rev limiter 5050. Perfect cool fall weather, fresh water, low load, bouncing of rev limiter. Need bigger prop.

Cheers
SL

Speed-Racer
02-07-2004, 09:46 PM
In calm water at WOT our 16' chine walks....if I remeber correctly a touch of the right trim tab stops it, which ever works for you.

Is there anything BigGrizz doesn't know....

smilsky
02-10-2004, 02:48 PM
I have a question for all the 22 Classic owners. Does the 22 Classic Chine Walk? If so at what speeds, trim settings, ect.
Bob
Classic 16 owner

I have had my Blackhawk chine walk in the mid to high 70's. No idea as to trim settings, too busy hanging on.
Larry

Fish boy
02-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Don't have a 22, but have been fortunate enough to drive a few (as well as several other performance boats I/O and Outboard). The 22 is one of the best handling perf boats anywhere at any price!

As with any performance boat, you can't just steer them, you have to drive them. There is a learning curve, but nothing a little seat time will not easily overcome. Get to know your boat, and those little issues that occasionally pop up will stay little issues rather than turn into problems. Just my $.02

Fish

BigGrizzly
02-10-2004, 08:42 PM
With the rounded bottom it wil chine walk aroundlow mid 80's if you let it. it is a balancing act. if it gets too far out it won't com back. the sane goes for an 18 and the 16, but at lower speeds. I do own all three and have learned to cope with it. Myt boat 22 80 and under runs straigh and true. and is a joy- Yes I do have twin ram full hydraulic,