PDA

View Full Version : Help ID boat

jwlester
07-17-2006, 09:56 AM
I have been lurking in the shadows for some time now. Thanks to everyone for a wealth of knowledge learned. I was at the marina on Fripp Island, SC this week and saw a beautiful classic looking cruiser that I could not place at all. I did not have a camera with me or this would be a lot easier but maybe someone can place it by a poor description. It was maybe a 28-35 footer with classic wood boat lines but was fiberglass. Covered cockpit. The emblem looked like a G with several lines coming off the side. Anyone know this brand? Again, I'm sorry for my ignorance but I was overwhelmed by how classic and graceful this boat was. Thanks for any clues anyone can give and I'm sorry for the shady discription.

Cheers, Josh

Digger
07-17-2006, 10:26 AM
was this the logo?

jwlester
07-17-2006, 11:41 AM
No. It looked just like a capital G with ~3or4 horizontal lines to the side. Sorry this is so vague. Thanks for your responses.

Josh

Digger
07-17-2006, 11:43 AM
might have been "GB" for Grand Banks.. probably would have been their Eastbay series if so

http://www.grandbanks.com

jwlester
07-17-2006, 12:13 PM
No not Grand Banks. Same sort of classic style but a little more smooth and swooping lines. Didn't look to have as much interior space. The lines from the covered cockpit to the aft deck were concave arced down to the rear. Any more ideas anyone? Thanks for the responses Digger...hope this is a game to you and not annoying. Sorry I don't have a picture. I'm searching.

Cheers, Josh

jwlester
07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Lets see if I can make this work. I think it was something vaguely like this.

LGMAZ
07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
It's a Hinckley. $$$$$$

http://www.hinckleyyachts.com/

jwlester
07-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Thats it!!! I guess I was sort of close on the logo. Thanks LGMAZ. These things are graceful. Too bad they come at such a high price. Thanks for the help guys. I'm off to dream some more.

Cheers, Josh

noisynova
07-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Best reason I've ever seen to buy a lottery ticket.:biggrin.:

Digger
07-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Josh no sweat, glad it's been id'd for you. A Hinckley is a great boat, no doubt.

They really torqued me off a few years ago however when they attempted to sue several other boat manufacturers for "trade dress infringement". They were pissed that other mfr's interpretation of the lobster boat express cruiser was too much like their own. Their use of a springy sheerline, lots of tumblehome, plenty of flare, and the cockpit window treatment, in their view, constituted a trademark of sorts. What arrogance. The lobster boat style/picnic boat has been around since the twenties, but Hinckley saw it fit to claim common design cues as their own. Please... their case, by the way, was thrown out.

Same snobbery that reminded me of that great line from Trading Places by Dan Akroyd "Oh sure, like HE went to Harvard" :jestera:

jwlester
07-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Thats rediculous. What I liked about it was that it had the looks of all the classic boats of the 20s-40s, not something original. Oh well...people will always try to make a buck...and they sure seem to be making a few. Great movie by the way...too bad movies and comedy aren't the same these days are the late 70's and 80s. Thanks everyone, I will be lurking more trying to learn what I can about design and whatnot. Enjoy the summer and the weather we are having...the only place it is comfortable is on the water.

Cheers, Josh

lars
07-18-2006, 06:16 PM
The Rivolta Family produces some very high end Yachts in Sarasota, FL. Check out the interesting history of this successful Italian industrialist family.
http://www.renzoyachts.com/History.html