PDA

View Full Version : blackhawk to bravo

glashole
07-17-2006, 09:02 AM
has anyone tried to change the outdrive on a blackhawk to a std bravo 1 with good results?

blackhawk
07-17-2006, 09:15 AM
When I had my Blackhawk I talked to a guy in Canada that did 2 conversions and both owners were very pleased. Only lost a couple mph on top and the handing was improved. Idling/docking would be much better as well.

I still think a Blackhawk with a 2" shortie Bravo would be worth a try! :D

glashole
07-17-2006, 09:28 AM
my guy up here is saying that my drive and speed etc is translating into 30 % slip

31 pitch props
72 mph

does this sound right?

MOP
07-17-2006, 09:38 AM
my guy up here is saying that my drive and speed etc is translating into 30 % slip
31 pitch props
72 mph
does this sound right?

With more seat time you will get that number a fair bit higher, you will run near 80. The stock late BB 22's are running low 70's a BH will burn that number. With a Bravo around the docks it will handle better but at speed no way, I miss the handling of the BH it made mine handle absolutely fantastic.

Phil

DAULEY
07-17-2006, 09:40 AM
after blowing up 2 blackhawk drives on my le bh i changed to a bravo and i loved it much more user friendly and only lost about 4 mph
its like running with a shorty on the le because of the high x demention

MOP
07-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Bob I was hoping you would jump in, did you miss the precise handling in the 40MPH range? I sure know I do, on the straight keel it was great!

Phil

blackhawk
07-17-2006, 10:06 AM
31 pitch props
72 mph
does this sound right?

Slip numbers will be very high because the props are surface piercing propellers. Don't compare slip numbers to a non-surface drive like a Bravo.

As far as speeds you should be able to get more out of it but how much really depends on where you boat. Remember, heat, humidity, elevation, salt vs freash water, water conditions, etc all play a role on top speed.

blackhawk
07-17-2006, 10:07 AM
after blowing up 2 blackhawk drives on my le bh i changed to a bravo and i loved it much more user friendly and only lost about 4 mph
its like running with a shorty on the le because of the high x demention

Did you ever try a 1" or 2" shortie? I would be interested to see the results with the combination of the higher X.

DAULEY
07-17-2006, 10:14 AM
are you running it on a standard classic or a le the le had a pad on bottom
you did most of your steering with the k-planes not user friendly at low speeds i was running in the mid 80s with the bh when i went to the bravo it was high 70s i think i saw 81 once with labbed 26 bravo 4 blade
boat was scary with bh until you had some seat time not a boat you would just give someone the keys to and say take it for a ride

glashole
07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
the drive is on a blackhawk boat

not a LE but it is a blackhawk

I have 280-k-planes and am getting to understand the boat

I have only put about 10-15 hrs on the boat myself

it has a built-up 454 approx. hp 415