PDA

View Full Version : A ? of Balance!

MOP
07-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Awhile back we were into 22's and how they porpoise at mid range, ai at the time said I had -0- porpoise! Well not true with 95 gal of fuel on board, I decided with the price of marina fuel I would hook up the forward tank, saving 35-50 cents a gallon is sweet. I mounted a selector valve bought some hose and a filter but wrecked my back and was laid up a few days, any way back to the balance thing. Got up to Kennys (Minxman) cottage at 1K, he volenteered to snake his way into my bilge and finish up the filter and hose install for the job. The out come was loosing a couple of MPH and yup you guessed it porpoising at mid range, now that I have racked about 210 miles and am ready to refuel the porpoising went away. So I will only run a little fuel in the front tank and rely on the aft, so more then a prop issue I have proved it is a weight issue "A ? of Balance"!

yeller
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Porpoising....glad to hear it! Misery loves company. :wink: :biggrin.:

yeller
07-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Probably a combination of weight, prop and CG.

Not likely, but if you ever get the chance to determine your CG, let me know. I'd be curious to see how my hull performed with the exact same CG (althought the weight would be different).

blackhawk
07-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Probably a combination of weight, prop and CG.
Not likely, but if you ever get the chance to determine your CG, let me know. I'd be curious to see how my hull performed with the exact same CG (althought the weight would be different).

I agree it is probably a combo. The added 200lbs to the bow made the prop/hull no longer able to carry the bow. What did the added weight do to the high speed handling? I was running with an 18 and 22 Classic this weekend and I was really surprised how much trouble they had keeping the bow down and running the boat level in the slop.