PDA

View Full Version : Motor got too hot.

yeller
07-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Went for a solo ride today. Was just starting to wind it out real good when the Guardian system (496HO) dropped the engine power. I pulled back the throttle and shut it down asap. Turns out the bolt holding the belt tensioner came loose and I dropped the belt. Engine got too hot...that's why the Guardian reduced power. Man...sure glad that thing works or I probably would have heat seized the engine. :eek!:

Got the belt back on and it still pumps water and runs cool.

Question is.....what should I be checking after something like this happens?? Even though it still pumps water, should I be pulling the pump for inspection??

Lenny
07-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Nice one :yes: Way to watch the guages :yes:

Saved you a ton of money.

The rest of the "smarter ones" will chime in I am sure... :)

MOP
07-17-2006, 05:56 AM
I doubt that any thing got hurt those systems seem to be doing exactly what it was designed to do, if it is pumping well and has had a pup job fairly recently I would noy worry about tearing into it.

gcarter
07-17-2006, 06:11 AM
Glenn, remember with your closed cooling, your engine is still full of coolant. Since the coolant has a very high boiling point, you have a bit of extra protection. You might even have a bit of thermosyphon circulation going on.
Since your system operated as designed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Digger
07-17-2006, 06:25 AM
well, you've got two options.

1. do like I did after I suspected a bad impellor after a quick overheat, by spending four hours r&r'ing the darn thing. (Yeah, four hours because the engine room geometry on my boat is an absolute nightmare... no room in front of the motors... so, its a lay face down over the top of the motor and do it by feel proposition) Hellen Keller would have been faster, at least she was used to doing things that way. And then once the new impellor was in, confused that the "bad" impellor looked pretty darn good, I realized the real issue was the tensioner which had come loose. :boggled:

2. do like you already did and troubleshoot the real cause first.

I would choose option 2

Like the other fellas say, if you did shut down quick and now see that the pump is squishing water out just fine then you are probably good to go

Carl C
07-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Sorry to hear that you had another problem. I hope these demons go away for you. If everything is OK now then I wouldn't worry about it.

yeller
07-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys. I was pretty sure everthing was ok, but never having a merc before, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. That Guardian system sure is nice. I didn't hear the warning buzzer, but sure did notice the reduced power...thought I had run out of gas.

Digger...option #2 it is. :biggrin.:

RickSE
07-17-2006, 05:31 PM
You should be ok since your sea pump was not spinning dry, just wasn't spinning.