PDA

View Full Version : Classic 16 Repower question - 6.2 & Bravo 3?

Jimmy Norman
07-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Newbe here. Longtime boater, but with my 1st Donzi - a 1990 Classic 16 that I may restore/modify to my liking if my ideas make sense to those of you with Donzi wisdom & experience. I like the idea of counter-rotating props for better handling, speed, and efficiency (in that order). I like the 6.2 Mercrusier Horizon engine for power and fresh water cooling so I don't have to winterize and I can use the boat on a moment's notice on a pretty winter day. Are these components a good idea for this boat? I'm open to other ideas. I might even change to a Classic 18 or 22 in order to provide more stability, speed and power, but I really like that cool little 16. I may also sell my 16 & start the project with another 16 if come upon one with a better hull/components/trailer/etc. and/or worse engine/outdrive. I'm not handy, so any suggestions of mechanics in the Atlanta area would also be appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

Speed-Racer
07-16-2006, 09:05 PM
The Bravo 3 is not for smaller boats, it's for larger heavier boats, and is not designed for speed. They do make an XR version but it's still designed to push heavier larger boats, like Foutian crusiers.....If you want better handling look at an 18 or 22....

LKSD
07-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Speed racer is right.. Also you still must winterize the open side of the cooling system & fuel system must also be treated on a closed cooling engine... You'd be a fool not to... Merc even had bulletins on it... I just dont want to see you damage an expensive thing.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

MOP
07-17-2006, 09:47 AM
I kind of argue the dou thing, there have been a few small boats with the Volvo dous notably the Donzi 16 knock off and ran well. With the natural bow lift of the 16 I am waiting for someone to bolt a Blackhawk on at the prescribed X, with a dead stock 300 Merc it will run in the 80's! Steves 18 runs 77+ all day long with that setup. It is time for another monster 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

Morgan's Cloud
07-17-2006, 10:03 AM
If you've really been bitten by the 'duo-prop' bug and you must do it in a smaller boat , go with the Volvo setup.
On stuff under 20' I consider it overkill though.(You don't really need the additional stern lift that comes naturally)
The B3 will cost you speed over the B1 , but the Volvo DPS will probably be as fast or more so than a B1.

blackhawk
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
If you've really been bitten by the 'duo-prop' bug and you must do it in a smaller boat , go with the Volvo setup.
On stuff under 20' I consider it overkill though.(You don't really need the additional stern lift that comes naturally)
The B3 will cost you speed over the B1 , but the Volvo DPS will probably be as fast or more so than a B1.

Agreed. The Volvo Duo-prop is a much better set-up compared to the B3 for high performance applications. The only thing I respectfully disagree with is the Duo-prop providing more stern lift. When I had my Unlimited 191(similar to a Classic) my good friend had the same boat with the Duo-prop and I had the SX single prop. The attitude of the boats was identical. He also lost NO top speed.

LKSD
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM

True .. :) J

Morgan's Cloud
07-17-2006, 11:31 AM
..... The only thing I respectfully disagree with is the Duo-prop providing more stern lift. When I had my Unlimited 191(similar to a Classic) my good friend had the same boat with the Duo-prop and I had the SX single prop. The attitude of the boats was identical. He also lost NO top speed.
Sorry , I've not driven the DPS yet , the observation was based on B3 experience. I just figured that if one DP does , they probably all do.
Volvo props are nothing like the B3 props though ..!

gold-n-rod
07-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Agreed. The Volvo Duo-prop is a much better set-up compared to the B3 for high performance applications. The only thing I respectfully disagree with is the Duo-prop providing more stern lift. When I had my Unlimited 191(similar to a Classic) my good friend had the same boat with the Duo-prop and I had the SX single prop. The attitude of the boats was identical. He also lost NO top speed.

Scott: Did I see you pulling a Pantera through the Cadillac west area two weekends ago?

If you...... nice looking ride.

:)

blackhawk
07-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Scott: Did I see you pulling a Pantera through the Cadillac west area two weekends ago?
If you...... nice looking ride.
:)

Well, since I live in Cadillac West I would bet it was me! Thanks for the compliment! :D

Where were you headed?

Did it look like this?

Speed-Racer
07-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Yea, the blackhawk is a dual prop/counter rotateing set-up, but surface piercing, and designed for speed....

gold-n-rod
07-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Newbe here. Longtime boater, but with my 1st Donzi - a 1990 Classic 16 that I may restore/modify to my liking if my ideas make sense to those of you with Donzi wisdom & experience. I like the idea of counter-rotating props for better handling, speed, and efficiency (in that order). I like the 6.2 Mercrusier Horizon engine for power and fresh water cooling so I don't have to winterize and I can use the boat on a moment's notice on a pretty winter day. Are these components a good idea for this boat? I'm open to other ideas. I might even change to a Classic 18 or 22 in order to provide more stability, speed and power, but I really like that cool little 16. I may also sell my 16 & start the project with another 16 if come upon one with a better hull/components/trailer/etc. and/or worse engine/outdrive. I'm not handy, so any suggestions of mechanics in the Atlanta area would also be appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

Jimmy: I can see that combo working in an 18, but it's too much for a 16. The extra weight of the Bravo in the stern will be a detriment to good handling, even with the dual props.

If you are set on that powertrain, go with an 18, but the B3 may still work less than ideal.

A 275-300 hp SBC is all you need for a 16 and an Alpha is fine too, especially with a shorty. Of course, there are those who think more is better, but not in a 16, I say.

Go with an MPI 5.0/Alpha. It's good for 60 mph stock and will be reliable as all get out. Put on some alum. manifolds/risers if you want to lose another 100# off the stern.

:wavey:

gold-n-rod
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, since I live in Cadillac West I would bet it was me! Thanks for the compliment! :D
Where were you headed?
Did it look like this?

I seem to recall a lot of green paint/stickers. The Pantera (24?) name was prominant. I was headed SW about 6 pm on Sunday 7/9. I got a quick glance as I went thru the light. It was headed NW. I didn't catch the tow vehicle.

Speed-Racer
07-17-2006, 09:20 PM
gold-n-rod, Your right...260HP Alpha One, 23P vengence, We've seen 62 on GPS. It's not extremly fast, but a whole lot of fun....if only we could find the cutting out problem:bonk:

Jimmy Norman
07-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I kind of argue the dou thing, there have been a few small boats with the Volvo dous notably the Donzi 16 knock off and ran well. With the natural bow lift of the 16 I am waiting for someone to bolt a Blackhawk on at the prescribed X, with a dead stock 300 Merc it will run in the 80's! Steves 18 runs 77+ all day long with that setup. It is time for another monster 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phil

What's "prescribed X"? and who makes the Blackhawk and please tell me more about it. I think I'm leaning toward a 16 Classic with a 5.7 or 6.2 fuel injected V-8 (maybe fresh water cooled) and a Blackhawk or Volvo duo prop outdrive. I appreciate & still need lots of help from you guys who actually know what you're talking about. My experience is with cruisers & now I'm ready to go fast & play. Thanks for the help.

Jimmy

blackhawk
07-20-2006, 02:00 PM
I seem to recall a lot of green paint/stickers. The Pantera (24?) name was prominant. I was headed SW about 6 pm on Sunday 7/9. I got a quick glance as I went thru the light. It was headed NW. I didn't catch the tow vehicle.

That had to have been me. I was out on Lake Mitchell all day and we pulled out about that time cause I was starving.

I now have the "Pantera Eyes" on the back of each side under the Pantera Logos and the windshield is purple.

blackhawk
07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
What's "prescribed X"? and who makes the Blackhawk and please tell me more about it. I think I'm leaning toward a 16 Classic with a 5.7 or 6.2 fuel injected V-8 (maybe fresh water cooled) and a Blackhawk or Volvo duo prop outdrive. I appreciate & still need lots of help from you guys who actually know what you're talking about. My experience is with cruisers & now I'm ready to go fast & play. Thanks for the help.
Jimmy

Mercruiser made the Blackhawk in 1995-1996. It is a surface drive and fast on the right application. Your hull must have good natural bow lift. I would have no clue if you could make it work on a 16.

I know Donzi offered Volvo drives for a short period of time maybe they could give you the correct X. If you decide to go with the Volvo I can get you a great deal on a COMPLETE 5.7 Gxi motor which is 320 hp at the prop. :D

I don't have any pics of my Blackhawk on this computer but here's a pic of one without the props.

Emmo
07-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Forrest has the fastest 16 I've ever ridden in. It has a 302 and an Alpha SS. I've been in lot's of 16's, many with 351 and 383's, but they are too tail-heavy, even with light drives. The SS does the trick. Forrest's boat is really scary but doesn't seem to porpoise like the others. Nothin' like doing 70 mph in a 2 ft chop with a wild man at the wheel!:eek!:

gtech
07-24-2006, 11:57 PM
I have seen test results on certain boats showing no change of performace between douprop or sx vovlo. The duoprop is sort of volvo's do all drive since they really don't have a single prop unit for high bhp applications. I would think that if you lightned up the motor with alum manifolds, heads, intake it would go pretty good but I don't think you'll see any improvment over a single prop unit other than the thing would never cavitate and it would hold in a corner like glue. If you need a douprop I have one for sale that came off a boat with 30 hours on it. I may put it on my 18 if I can settle on a motor config. and know I won't have to change props at 1k a whack. If you want the drive call me. 802-372-9918