PDA

View Full Version : hydro locked ?

smokediver
07-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I got my new drive on and went for a run on Saturday , boat ran great shifted into gear smooth .... I went home and flushed the motor , no problems. then i took it and put it in the water today and the starter wouldn't turn ... i thought maybe a bad ground and i found a somewhat loose cable . the engine turned over but was making a funny noise I ran it around the ramp area , not on plane and decided to put it away . i took it back to the shop and pulled a few plugs . i had a little water in on of the cylinders . i sprayed corrosion block in there but there is now a knock when i run the engine . i have a new aluminium intake and the manifolds are aluminium glm's that are a year old . i flush every time .. ... will the knock go away if i find the source of the leak or is it time to yank it and repair . it is a MERC motor Cuda ... take note !!!! just out of warranty !!!!! rats !!!! i think the intake voided the warranty any way .... :confused:

Cuda
07-16-2006, 07:53 PM
You didn't happen to flush it with the stern higher than the bow did you?

smokediver
07-16-2006, 08:04 PM
i did have it hooked to my vehicle .... but i have done that before ...it looks pretty level ..

Cuda
07-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Is your engine oil emulsified with water?

Speed-Racer
07-16-2006, 08:59 PM
It's not the exhuast, and not the intake, BTW is that intake coated on the inside?.....could be a head gasket depending on the # of cylinders, or a warped head.....where di u get your motor a merc re-man?

smokediver
07-17-2006, 05:09 AM
yeah , the water got into the oil .. i bought the engine over in miami through the re-man program . i can't really complain too much until i find the source of the leak or maybe Cuda was on to something when i flushed the engine .

Cuda
07-17-2006, 06:30 AM
It's not the exhuast, and not the intake
How do you know that without seeing it? Probably the last thing I would suspect would be a head gasket.

Cuda
07-17-2006, 06:40 AM
You may have wiped out a bearing. Try changing the oil. To get the emulsified oil out of the engine, I run it a couple minutes with half oil, an half diesel in the crankcase, instead of changing the oil four or five times. Usualy, once with the diesel will work. After you get good oil in it, if it still knocks, I'd say it's a wiped out bearing. Cut the old oil filter in half, and see if there are any metallic flakes of death in it.

Carl C
07-17-2006, 07:22 AM
Knocks don't generally fix themselves unless it is a sticky valve lifter. If you can determine that it was an engine defect then I would still contact Mercury customer service. If you hydro locked it then I'd suspect a bent connecting rod.

Cuda
07-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Knocks don't generally fix themselves unless it is a sticky valve lifter. If you can determine that it was an engine defect then I would still contact Mercury customer service. If you hydro locked it then I'd suspect a bent connecting rod.
I doubt Merc is going to cover it, if it's a water issue, it's most likely an exhaust/riser issue (which I doubt), or an intake manifold issue (more likely), but probably flushing with the boat tilted the wrong direction.

Carl C
07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
I doubt Merc is going to cover it, if it's a water issue, it's most likely an exhaust/riser issue (which I doubt), or an intake manifold issue (more likely), but probably flushing with the boat tilted the wrong direction.Your probably right Cuda but Mercury wants to keep people happy so it might be worth a try to get it covered somehow if it's barely out of warranty.

Cuda
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Your probably right Cuda but Mercury wants to keep people happy so it might be worth a try to get it covered somehow if it's barely out of warranty.
Never hurts to ask, but since they didn't install the exhaust or intake, I don't see them feeling responsible.

smoothie
07-17-2006, 05:15 PM
There should be a "big" warning sticker on the center rise manifolds about having the boat sitting stern higher than the bow...would save people a lot of cash:yes:

Speed-Racer
07-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Just throwing stuff out there

mrfixxall
07-17-2006, 11:51 PM
I got my new drive on and went for a run on Saturday , boat ran great shifted into gear smooth .... I went home and flushed the motor , no problems. then i took it and put it in the water today and the starter wouldn't turn ... i thought maybe a bad ground and i found a somewhat loose cable . the engine turned over but was making a funny noise I ran it around the ramp area , not on plane and decided to put it away . i took it back to the shop and pulled a few plugs . i had a little water in on of the cylinders . i sprayed corrosion block in there but there is now a knock when i run the engine . i have a new aluminium intake and the manifolds are aluminium glm's that are a year old . i flush every time .. ... will the knock go away if i find the source of the leak or is it time to yank it and repair . it is a MERC motor Cuda ... take note !!!! just out of warranty !!!!! rats !!!! i think the intake voided the warranty any way .... :confused:

Is it a knock or a tick?if its knocking you may have crushed a bearing from hydro locking it..

pull it to be safe and check the bearings..you will know which one it is by the color of the rod if it spun,the rod will look blueish...

smokediver
07-18-2006, 05:50 AM
the waranty was voided when the new intake went on and that's ok . i don't think merc would cover water intrusion anyway . It is a knock , no doubt . I am yanking it this weekend and should have an answer by the end of next week .. I'll worry about it when I get back from winnie .

Cuda
07-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Do you have an Alpha, or a Bravo drive?

smokediver
07-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I have an alpha . I spoke to a friend today that owns a boat dealership and I have done many favors for friends of his over the years so he told me to bring the engine into his shop next week and that he would take care of it minus parts .... karma !!!!!!!!

Cuda
07-18-2006, 07:47 PM
I have an alpha . I spoke to a friend today that owns a boat dealership and I have done many favors for friends of his over the years so he told me to bring the engine into his shop next week and that he would take care of it minus parts .... karma !!!!!!!!
Good deal! Hope to see you at Sarasota.