PDA

View Full Version : Stern Drive Unit won't Raise!

86fxst
07-16-2006, 09:38 AM
:shocking: My stern drive unit went down ,but it will not raise! Any ideas? I was going to take the boat out of the garage and start it on the hose before I took it down to the water. Its stuck in the garage because the stern drive unit refuses to raise while it would lower (of couse I don't want to lower it any further). Any thoughts are much appreciated!

EricG
07-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm assuming it's a Merc...I had a similar problem on my old alpha several years ago. The merc trim pump has 2 solenoids, 1 each for up/down. They should be very near the trim pump motor - I'd switch them and see if it goes the other way, then you know if that is the problem. If not, I'm sure some others will have other ideas...

The one nice thing about having an old volvo now - I don't have to worry about that any more :yes:

EG

gcarter
07-16-2006, 12:09 PM
There's also a very large fuse in the solenoid wiring. Check it for a burn out.

mrfixxall
07-16-2006, 12:34 PM
wont raise with trailer & tilt button?dont hear a clicking noise?

Replace the solenoid or may be a loose wire in the harness..solenoid about 20 bucks..

Speed-Racer
07-16-2006, 09:12 PM
If they above doesn't work, your red wire in your shifter is broken, it's a crappy design. After years of use and twisting inside the shifter it breaks....simple fix

FISHIN SUCKS
07-16-2006, 09:31 PM
This is bizarre. An hour ago my buddy with his 2000 regal (alpha one drive) is stuck and won't go up or down, even with the switch on the transom. For the last two weeks, his trim guage has been on the fritz (but the lower unit would still go up and down). Now the guage is completely dead, and the lower unit is stuck and won't go either direction. The local marina told him this afternoon it's the sending unit in the gimbal housing ($60 part, the marina tells him) and $600 labor.

Does anyone know if the outdrive needs to be pulled in order to change this? I will check the other above mentioned items as well.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, just looked related to what I was trying to find out as well and also thought I might have a chance to contribute as well. Thanx for any responses as well.:)

BUIZILLA
07-16-2006, 09:38 PM
I'll do it for $600 too....

JH

FISHIN SUCKS
07-17-2006, 09:56 AM
I'll do it for $600 too....
JH
Sounded like easy money to me as well.:wink:

86fxst
07-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your input guys! Ihope it is one of the simple fixes as decribed by Eric G.Speed Racer And Mr. fixall spoke of...:). If anyone else has words of wisdom they will be much appreciated! I bought this boat last thanksgiving and have yet to have it in the water! Getting very anxious about hitting the H2O!:confused:

86fxst
07-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for your input guys! Ihope it is one of the simple fixes as decribed by Eric G.Speed Racer And Mr. fixall spoke of...:). If anyone else has words of wisdom they will be much appreciated! I bought this boat last thanksgiving and have yet to have it in the water! Getting very anxious about hitting the H2O!:confused:
gcarter..checked the fuse...it's OK - Thanks!

glashole
07-17-2006, 10:57 AM
if the drive isn't all the way down try hitting the trailer button on the side of the shift lever

the mercs have a safety sensor that only allows them to go so far up so you don't raise it to far while under way.

mkibby
07-17-2006, 12:45 PM
This is what happens to me every so often, the up switch gets corrided and does not make contact. Goes down but not up. The most simple of the simple but often overlooked. good luck

mrfixxall
07-17-2006, 01:12 PM
This is bizarre. An hour ago my buddy with his 2000 regal (alpha one drive) is stuck and won't go up or down, even with the switch on the transom. For the last two weeks, his trim guage has been on the fritz (but the lower unit would still go up and down). Now the guage is completely dead, and the lower unit is stuck and won't go either direction. The local marina told him this afternoon it's the sending unit in the gimbal housing ($60 part, the marina tells him) and $600 labor.
Does anyone know if the outdrive needs to be pulled in order to change this? I will check the other above mentioned items as well.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread, just looked related to what I was trying to find out as well and also thought I might have a chance to contribute as well. Thanx for any responses as well.:)

The drive and the gimbal ring has to come off to get the wires & the bolt from the trim sensor through the gimbal housing..(their a m fer to get to with out taking the drive and ring off...) its only a 4-5 hr job if you take your time

FISHIN SUCKS
07-17-2006, 01:48 PM
The drive and the gimbal ring has to come off to get the wires from the trim sensor through the gimbal housing..(their a m fer to get to with out taking the drive and ring off...)
Thanx Mrfixxall. I have no problem taking the drive off (did it this spring to my neighbors boat) if that takes a lot of the hassle out of the project. I like your solution with the solenoid, his symptoms are similar in that the trailer button is not raising, no clicking sound. I wonder if that would have been the reason the trim guage was flickering all over for the last 2 weeks and yet the lower unit would still go up and down.:confused:

Speed-Racer
07-17-2006, 09:03 PM
The sending unit has nothing to do with the drive going up or down, but does have to do with the guage working. Solenoids could be bad, but if they don't click it doesn't have power...IE -the red wire or power loss from somewhere else.

mrfixxall
07-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanx Mrfixxall. I have no problem taking the drive off (did it this spring to my neighbors boat) if that takes a lot of the hassle out of the project. I like your solution with the solenoid, his symptoms are similar in that the trailer button is not raising, no clicking sound. I wonder if that would have been the reason the trim guage was flickering all over for the last 2 weeks and yet the lower unit would still go up and down.:confused:

oops,i used the wrong parts terminalgy,,the gimbal ring stays the drive bellhousing has to come off the get at the wires anfdthe retainer cover that keeps the water from going through the gimbal housing..here are some pics.

gcarter
07-18-2006, 06:14 AM
The unit on the STBD side runs the gauge, forget that one. the one on the PORT side is the "limit switch", and it is important and they connect to the solenoids. If you follow the wires from the port side leads to the inside of the transom, they end in male and female bullet connectors in the general area of the solenoid assembly. If you disconnect both of those bullet connectors and re-connect the adjoining leads together, the ones attached to the solenoid assembly, you've essentually "hot wired" the system.
Does anyone understand this?
Oh yeah, you'll no longer have a limit switch, so you need to be careful as you can raise the drive all the way up with your trim switch.

FISHIN SUCKS
07-19-2006, 07:26 AM
The sending unit has nothing to do with the drive going up or down, but does have to do with the guage working. Solenoids could be bad, but if they don't click it doesn't have power...IE -the red wire or power loss from somewhere else.
Thanx SR. Sounds like a combination of things since the guage was getting funky and the drive won't go up/down. Fortunately everything is easy to get to on his boat inside. This red wire thing has come up a couple of times now, we will check that out as well. I will be in your town here in a couple of weeks, looks like I'll have to buy you a beer:beer:

DonziJon
07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
The unit on the STBD side runs the gauge, forget that one. the one on the PORT side is the "limit switch", and it is important and they connect to the solenoids. If you follow the wires from the port side leads to the inside of the transom, they end in male and female bullet connectors in the general area of the solenoid assembly. If you disconnect both of those bullet connectors and re-connect the adjoining leads together, the ones attached to the solenoid assembly, you've essentually "hot wired" the system.
Does anyone understand this?
Oh yeah, you'll no longer have a limit switch, so you need to be careful as you can raise the drive all the way up with your trim switch.

BINGO: George you hit the nail on the head. I had this drive lift problem last summer. The trailer lift button was the only way I could raise the drive. Checked everything else first. THEN... I unwrapped the harness down near the trim pump and "jumped" the two wires together Just as you described. That's the way it's wired today.

On my boat the wire running from the limit switch....that "Hockey Puck" looking thingy on the port side of the drive, appears to be wired with "lamp cord" and the water gets into the core of the wire and "rots" it out...turns it black and punky. The switch itself is quite simple to take apart and looked fine. Replacing the wire is a royal pain so thats why I jumped it.

As you say, doing it this way bypasses the limit switch and you MUST be carefull when raising the drive for trailering. If you raise it TOO high, you risk
jamming the drive into the ring above it..AND, by exceeding the travel, you will introduce air into the system making UP trimming under power impossable. If you do get air in the system it will purge itself after a dozen or so UP/DOWN cycles.

I had the benefit of a wiring diagram (Clymers) when I did mine. John

joseph m. hahnl
07-19-2006, 03:37 PM
I have an alpha one and sometimes when i'm trying to fit down beside the motor.:crossfing I hit the pump assembly with my foot, and I'll Knock off one of the boot conectors on the solenoid:bonk: ,pretty easy to do when down inside the bildge working:yes:

joe