PDA

View Full Version : CB radios - remember them?

Donzigo
07-15-2006, 01:08 AM
In the late 1970s, I got my first CB radio. I remember what fun it was! It was before cell phones and suddenly..............you weren't alone on the road.

"Hey good buddy, what's it look like over your shoulder?"

"You got a bear in the sky at the 165 and one in the woods at the 187"

"I got this ole cup of mud sitting at the home-20 talking to you"

"You got me on the front door & BOXMAN on the back door and you're in the rocking chair, dude".

It was so innocent given today's road rage & so much fun............then in a flash.........it was gone.

I was the ORLANDO EAGLE..........anybody else remember how crazy everybody was about CB radios?

Remember your handle?

Any interesting CB stories out there?

noisynova
07-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Still got one in my pickidy-up.

BUIZILLA
07-15-2006, 07:01 AM
the only one I have left, is in the motorhome...

if'n ya need's me just yell for...

rusty bucket

actually, for about 20 years or so, my handle was Night Train after the first edition Harley's moniker. Janice, to this day, still kids me about that handle, I had 2 black El Camino's when we were first hitched, and EVERYBODY knew me by that name, and those truck's/cars...

JH

Donzigo
07-15-2006, 07:04 AM
MP,

In 1967, the weather man from the local TV station, in Jackson, Ms, lived next to us and by chance, he was took me to school one day, in his unusual Studebaker Avantee. He was a CB / Short wave radio enthusist, had a radio room, huge antenna, etc, etc. On the way to school, he showed me the CB radio, which I knew nothing abut. We spoke to some guy in Philadelphia, PA and I thought that was so neat. I still don't know how he did it from his car, must have patched through the home base or something.

RUSTY BUCKET, do you still use it on the road? ........................... And, hey, I just put some guy on my "ignore list" for talking and typing like that............

Digger
07-15-2006, 07:11 AM
still have my cobra in the truck. still the best way to find out where Johnny Law is or where the construction delays are or which lane to be in to get around the next fender bender. Over the years, though, the tone of conversations between truckers has degraded to the point of foul mouthed ranting and road rage. It used to be much more civil... they used to just complain about four wheelers... now its f this and f that and f you. Too bad.

Barry Eller
07-15-2006, 07:33 AM
I think people talking on CB's was safer than cellphones today.

Jraysray
07-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I loved the lingo, What's your 10-20 good buddy? Your "Handle" was sacred as well. What was yours?

FOSTER
07-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Remember them? can't forget them. Still using one after almost 30 years, I run with the sqelch up all the way so unless your within 50 yards I wont hear anyone. Can't stand hearing all the garbage on them these days. No handle always just used my name. I use a handle here but I stole that from my dog.
Your right about the foul mouthed ranting Digger. A lot of angry drivers out there. Guess they feel traped in a cage.
Bret.

rustnrot
07-15-2006, 08:53 PM
I was a CB repair tech at a large radio shop near Detroit. The Canadians would come over to buy linears out the back door, apparently they were not even allowed to be sold in Canada. I think they just sold them out the front door to the US contingent. Gawd those linears were cheap, umpteen TV horizontal output tubes in parallel that were way overdriven, don't stay keyed too long or they would fail...."tune for minimum smoke"!

I remember working on some tube transceiver units, particularly the Browning Golden Eagle with it's distinctive ping (rather annoying purposely designed feedback).

Dr. Dan
07-16-2006, 08:34 AM
:wink: Well we have one in our Burban...all the Atlantic Coast Tow Crew does...we use them to banter back and forth while towing to Donzi Events...mostly on Channel 22.

Only a few years ago Digger, Dwight and I had some memorable explicatives when at about MidNite on a Rainy Northern Florida or Georgia road ... while we were driving back from the owners Rally...Some Tuner Car decided he didn't wanna miss his Exit which was in front of me,Digger and Dwight all Towing our Donzi's... he made a very spontaneous decision to Exit at Speed on a Wet Highway from the Left Lane.... I'll let Digger take it from there...

It was like something from a Movie.... I recall a Chorus from us all of something like "Holy Sh@t!!!!" "Did You See That????" :eek!:

Uh Yeah it happened right in front of me in less than 60 Seconds... I am almost positive who ever was driving that car had to change their underwear!

A Priceless CB Radio Moment.

Another occurred while Brad , Dwight and I were headin to Winnie...mighta even been last year... a Lincoln had just passed Brad...he was the Middle Rig...and the Lincolns front Tire Exploded like a Nuclear Bomb...all I saw in my mirror was alot of smoke... and Brad kinda sounding alot like Digger as I recall!

My favorite to date though is while we (the 3 Amigos-Brad -Dwight and I ) were Towing back from the Potomac River down by Brad and Amy's place... we were on an Inner City X-way...when a Cab in the left lane no less...had it's hood blow unlatched and it pegged itself against the Windshield completey blinding the Driver...Holy Moses...that was definitely like a seen from a Dean Martin or Jerry Lewis Movie... of course the Driver was of a different culture that now runs most 7/11's...i could here but not understand a thing he was yelling... it was very intense there for a while til he could get to a place to pull over...miraculously no one got hurt which made it absoulutey one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed.:bonk:

Doc of Donzi Haulin...:wink: