PDA

View Full Version : best donzi for jumping small waves in lake michicgan?

JRS
07-14-2006, 04:09 PM
hello everyone,
i am new here.. thinking about purchasing a 1988 Classic 22'. it has a modded merc 420 with bravo... i read somewhere
http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2002tests/jan1.php that with the bottom design, this much power was a bad idea.. any thoughts..?
in any case, am i looking at the right boat anyway??
thanks,
JR

boatnut
07-14-2006, 05:46 PM
If you really want to have fun jumping waves/wakes I think you would have more fun with one of the classic 18's. I've had two 18's and two 22's, the
22 looks a little better (same beam more length) and could take rough water at a slightly faster speed but in my opinion the 18 handles better and is more fun to blast around in. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on this :wink: . Ed

RedDog
07-14-2006, 05:50 PM
The tester / author was ignorant - if you want less power you use less throttle. Many around here have 22s with a lot more power than the Power Boat test boat (not me, I only have a 502 with 415 HP).

Regarding jumping - I suspect the 18 or 16 hull / chine design affords softer landings than the 22.

Carl C
07-14-2006, 08:46 PM
The tester / author was ignorant - if you want less power you use less throttle. Many around here have 22s with a lot more power than the Power Boat test boat (not me, I only have a 502 with 415 HP).
He sure was ignorant. I don't have any of those issues and I can run 73 on any hot and humid day with a 496. This boat had a blue motor and the driver couldn't even get 75. It may have been underpropped though. Yes, RedDog, if you want less power cause you don't know how to drive this boat then use less throttle.........duh. The sharp banking turns are one of the things I love about this boat but they take seat time to master and I am still learning.:) :boat:

glashole
07-15-2006, 07:53 AM
if it is going to be just you by yourself you cannot find more fun than a 16 :)

if you are going to take more people on a regular basis you should go with the 18 or 22 for their comfort

Shea

LKSD
07-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry at this point in the thread I must employ the ultimate air wake/wave jumping picture which happened on the big lake in Michigan I believe and it was not a 22 or an 18 it was a 16 ;) or with this much air it could be an F-16 ;) :p
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1404&d=1080302881

I like the O $hit face on the passengers face... :hyper: Jamie

Magicallbill
07-16-2006, 12:15 AM
My guess is that the above-mentioned boat is no longer in existence.
Take a look at all the black splotches on the keel,add more-than-a-few hard landings and it probably went to an early grave.
My parents wouldn't spring for a Donzi when I first wanted one in '72 or so..That was fortunate,'cause if I had one at 18 years old, I'd have similar shots like the one above,and probably wouldn't have survived either.

Moody Blu'
07-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Sorry at this point in the thread I must employ the ultimate air wake/wave jumping picture which happened on the big lake in Michigan I believe and it was not a 22 or an 18 it was a 16 ;) or with this much air it could be an F-16 ;) :p
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1404&d=1080302881

yea that one or my signature pics ;)

if your buying a donzi and are new with it, i will tell you that you better learn how to drive the boat and feel out any quirks it has before you go jumping it. I can say this cuz ive owned mine for 15+ years

Audiofn
07-19-2006, 06:17 AM
I have driven both 16's and 18's and IMO the 18 is a better boat for all around. It seems much larger out on the water, is not much heavier, has more engine room, has a better seating set up. I think holds more gas. Once you master the boat you can stay HARD on the throttles through some decent snot and it will be fine as they can fly so high in the air with trim it is insane. We have a guy on our lake that has a 18 with a 350 mag and bravo and mine is a 454 330hp with TRS and we are almost exactly the same speed but mine will give a little more bow lift I think.

Jon