PDA

View Full Version : blackhawk brass clutch welding

glashole
07-14-2006, 01:16 PM
has anyone heard of this

My drive got stuck in forward and would not come out of gear :eek!:

after starting from the cable and working backwards to the gears it was discovered that the cone clutch was stuck in the forward position

after pulling the gears it seems the cone clutch has "welded " itself into the up postition and will not come apart :(

has this happened to anyone else?

I now have another drive to steal these cone clutches from so as to not have to buy the entire upper gear assembly so it should be fixed next week - hopefully :crossfing

Shea

Mr X
07-14-2006, 03:46 PM
I have a few BRAND NEW in the box cllutch pacs for the Blackhawk 's
Complete with the gears and fully assembled from Mercury
Keep the spare drive together....
What ratio do you have?
I will make you a DEAL on one if you need it.

mrfixxall
07-14-2006, 04:00 PM
ive never worked on a blackhawk drive but i have worked on bravo 1s and their was a problem with the cone clutches welding themselves together but it usually happens to the heaver boats with ample hp...

Donzigo
07-15-2006, 12:39 AM
An earlier model of the Bravo One (I think mid 1990s vintage), whereby the cone would become welded to the upper in the forwad position. I had this problem on my Z-25 1987. I had an outdrive stolen in the mid 90s and replaced it with a new one. I had run aground at idle out at Shell Island and it baffled me. When I took it apart, I saw what had happened. The Mercury manual had an update stating this and I replaced the cone clutch at $600 for the parts and it worked fine after that. As I remember it, it was the coating material used on the clutch that caused the problem.

glashole
07-15-2006, 08:04 AM
I have a few BRAND NEW in the box cllutch pacs for the Blackhawk 's
Complete with the gears and fully assembled from Mercury
Keep the spare drive together....
What ratio do you have?
I will make you a DEAL on one if you need it.

Captain

get in touch with me I may take a couple

Shea

trentonglassandwindows@cogeco.net

Mr X
07-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Shea, I sent you an email, but it was returned by your server.
email me your phone number.
tedwork@tampabay.rr.com