PDA

View Full Version : The HT 383 crate engine, is this worth it or not ?

Lenny
07-14-2006, 12:17 AM
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/gm_ht383_crate_small_block_tune_up/

I am picking up this motor (under a new part number apparently, with the cast iron heads (no fast burn, as it will be raw water.)

My question is, I have the Performer manifold, a 650 Barry Grant mechanical, Mallory HEI etc. These mods, SPECIFICALLY the cam and rockers, are they OK for a boat motor?

I am REALLY looking forward to this. :D

Hope I blow the VOLVO 280 next and we can put an end to the white stuff on the boat other than the deck, steering wheel and bottom :D

Your thoughts on the mods by HOTROD please and keep it simple. I will get lost if you use any big words 'n stuff.

Thanx, Lenny

P.S. I want to see 70 GPS this time, WITH the VOLVO ;)

mrfixxall
07-14-2006, 09:56 AM
lenny,most of the newer hp crate engines wont accept the older style intake manifolds with 12 bolts....They usually come with the vortech style bolt pattern that have 2 bolt holes in each corner....For that 383 your gonna need a 750 cfm card minimum but ive seen those bg flow from 650 > 830 cfm..so i would try yhat carb and just keep reading your plugs...

olredalert
07-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Lenny,

-----You are rightfully worried about the aluminum heads, but what about the intake??? Isnt that performer also aluminum. I guess alot of problems can be put off by diligent flushing, but laziness such as I have after a long day on the water and a few boat sodas sometimes mean missing a flush or three and after awhile that can be problematic. As for the 383 crate motor I think it would be a great DONZI motor with the appropriate boating type changes made........Bill S

Pismo
07-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Yes, I agree, it is a car motor, needs some marinization.

BUIZILLA
07-14-2006, 10:18 AM
those CC rockers aren't happy with the stock valve covers, put the motor in as-is, add your existing goodies, and go boating.........

there, I said it.

JH

yeller
07-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Excellent choice Lenny. How long till ya get it?
I wouldn't worry about anything aluminum if you flush it every time. My 16 jet has 18yrs on the aluminum drive/impeller/exhaust/intake, and they look better than most fresh water stuff.

gcarter
07-14-2006, 01:19 PM
CLOSED COOLING! CLOSED COOLING! CLOSED COOLING CLOSED COOLING!

:yes:

Cuda
07-14-2006, 03:57 PM
After dicking around with motors for three years or so on my Minx, I'm on the third (that's right THREE) engine in about 15 hours, if that much, I'm never buying another engine that doesn't say Mercruiser on it.

The reason they cost so much, is because they are worth it.

Cuda
07-14-2006, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about the aluminum heads. A mechanic I used in St Pete said he had aluminum heads on his boat (100% salt use) for seven years. He took the heads off and sold them. He said they were still fine.

Cuda
07-14-2006, 07:30 PM
L,
Flush religiously, and the manifold and heads will outlast the original engine build.. I just did a pre-emptive strike replacement of my aluminum intake after almost 5 years of salt with heavy flushing, and it looks excellent inside... If I have looked b4 I leaped, I would have left the old manifold alone..
I'm happy to hear that Scott. My aluminum intakes on my 302 are at least four years old. I do flush religiously. :)

gcarter
07-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm happy to hear that Scott. My aluminum intakes on my 302 are at least four years old. I do flush religiously. :)
What about the one that failed on the original Minx engine?

Cuda
07-14-2006, 08:37 PM
What about the one that failed on the original Minx engine?
That's because I wasn't in charge of of flushing that engine.

Lenny
07-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I always flush the "day of, regardless of the time" , and I do it in a huge tub full of running water and bring the motor up to temperature and run it for about 15 minutes at a grand or so with a few "blips" :D to keep the neighbours on their toes.

As is it, it is, in she goes. :)

I will try and figure out this flywheel thing...and see if my inatke will fit. If not, no biggy. I will buy a new performer.

yeller
07-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Lenny...when's it going in.

HURRY UP!!! Can we go boating soon? Next weekend? How bout NOW??? :biggrin.: :tongue:

Glad to hear you're trying to salvage the rest of the boating season. I think you made an excellant choice in motors. We'll hook up soon. :yes:

mrfixxall
07-15-2006, 03:37 PM
I always flush the "day of, regardless of the time" , and I do it in a huge tub full of running water and bring the motor up to temperature and run it for about 15 minutes at a grand or so with a few "blips" :D to keep the neighbours on their toes.
As is it, it is, in she goes. :)
I will try and figure out this flywheel thing...and see if my inatke will fit. If not, no biggy. I will buy a new performer.

Lenny,reguards to your intake try looking up http://www.rpmmachine.com/pro-prod-sb-chev-intake.shtml they have a intake called the crosswind which is the same as but a little better intake design then the performer air gap and it will fit under the hatch of my x with a 3'' tall flame arrestor..Also a little cheeper too..

Cuda
07-15-2006, 10:55 PM
cuda,
there isn't anything wrong with a motor that doesn't say mercruiser on it... as long as the person building the engine DOES IT RIGHT... it'll then outlast or live as long as anything that says mercruiser on it...
JR
I don't doubt that a bit, but if you buy one from somebody other than Merc, and it takes a dump, very few people are going to stand behind a warranty. I'd trust one I built myself, but I wouldn't buy one built by a one man operation that lives a thousand miles away. I know one I put together myself took a dump, and it was my own fault for not checking a set of rebuilt heads before I bolted them on. I'll be putting the engine I took out of the Minx back together soon.

DonCig
07-16-2006, 07:08 AM
Lenny, if it is an help, I am running an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold and I have enough engine hatch clearance to use either a 1" spacer and a 2" Gaffrig Spark Arrestor or a 3" Gaffrig Spark Arrestor and no carb spacer.
I beleive that the RPM Air Gap manifold and the Performer RPM manifold are exactly the same dimensional height.

I think that the 383HT engine is a great value and I hope that you get some water time in it this year.

Don

MOP
07-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Like Jim said put it in "As Is" just add your accesories, it is built for good grunt you can do some mods this winter. I bet it wil make you some happy the way it is, there is a dead stock one out by me been keeping the owner real happy for two & a half seasons.

Phil