PDA

View Full Version : Want to Adopt: 22' Classic

Ryan23
07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Hello everyone!
I'm a long time lurker/first time poster kinda guy. Been a Donzi fan since a kid, saw my first "Classic" while putting around on Connecticut's Candlewood Lake. I knew someday I would have one...

That day should have been 5 years ago...lol. In 2001 I'd found a donzi.net member selling his Blue/Honey 22' back home in Connecticut. Drove up from VA and looked at it, went for a ride and it was all I hoped for and more. With one minor exception.....the trailer. It wasn't roadworthy. By the time I had got home and found a trailer it was already gone. Shortly thereafter I was divorced and poor for a little while. So much for getting a Donzi...

Fast forward 5 years and I'm back on my feet as well as in the market for a boat. I tried looking for something else, maybe some other brand which had that, "Going 90mph sitting still" look. I found a few boats but nothing compared to the build quality and/or prestige of owning a Donzi. I though to myself...maybe an older Cig "fixxer-upper" or maybe (jusssst maybe!) I could find a Magnum in need of some love? The big problem with that is my tow vehicle limits me to ~7000 LBS (06' Chevy Trailblazer SS) and where the hell could I store a 27'/28' Cig or Magnum?

I'm an active duty Navy guy which, translated, means I don't make a ton of money. I've made some extra money on the side wrenching on cars. I've got a boat budget of ~$15,000 tops. I could save for another year but that tosses this summer out. That will hurt because I'm due to rotate back to sea duty next year. When that rolls around I'll get all the boating in that I want, however it will be on a 506' Guided Missile Destroyer. Not quite the same experience :wink: .

So I've been scouring here, boattrader, yachtworld, Ebay, Craigslist, etc trying to find a deal. Missed out on a few nice ones in my price range, obviously they tend to get scooped up pretty quick. So if you have one or know a neighbor, cousin, lost uncle, ETC that wants their boat to go to a good home, please drop me a PM or E-mail. I'm a sailor by trade, so I know a thing or two about keeping something afloat & looking pretty...lol.

As an aside, one of my hobbies is building high horsepower street cars. I've built a number of quick drag race imports and my current car/toy is a 93' Mazda RX-7 with a Chevy LS1 motor (Gen III V8 engine). My last motor put down over 400 hp to the wheels (not quite enough) and the new 7.0 liter should be just north of 600 hp at the wheels on pump gas. So yeah, naturally I would be drawn to a smaller, low slung, big motor'd Donzi :)

Beggars can't be choosers, I know, but I'll throw out preferences anyway:
White/blue stripe :yes: :shades:
White/black stripe
White/any other color..

I plan of spending some time on the Chesapeake Bay as well as the rivers/lakes around Virginia & Maryland. I'm thinking an 18' could handle that but a 22' would do it better. I'm also a little biased with regards to aesthetics...I love the stretched look of a 22.

Thanks for reading my novel/intro and please keep an eye out for me!

Ryan

Donzi Eh!
07-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Ryan

Have not come to grips with this yet, but thinking of selling my 18. It’s a 1973 re-powers, re-gelled, re-everythinged. Runs off the end of 65mph gauge. Couple of cracks in the gelcoat, but I would rather drive it, than fuss over lipstick issues. Engine has less 50 hours. Would need $22-25,000 cdn fob Toronto to get the key out of my hand. Steve