PDA

View Full Version : Prop Selection - 22 Classic

yorkey
07-13-2006, 01:59 AM
I know a lot of us have discussed this in the past but since there are a lot more people on here now and maybe a few more with the same configuration as me, I hoped you wouldn't mind the question.

I have a 1992 22 Classic 454 (not the H/O) with the OMC King Cobra drive. I am currently running an aluminum 14.25 x 21 prop and I am finally ready to graduate to a stainless. I want to reach top end speeds near 70 mph, I want to keep my top end rpms at 4500 or less, I want to not have any weird torque problems on acceleration or chine walk issues, I want stability at high speeds and just some rock solid high performance for this configuration.
I know that this wish list is a lot to ask for, but I know that there are more than a few other people out there with the same configuration as me who have already experimented and made choices that they like. I'm hearing Turbo 1 or Hydo Quad IV is best (Turbo 1 being the top choice) what are your thoughts?

Thank you again for taking the time.
Jeff

RedDog
07-13-2006, 08:11 AM
The King Cobra has a 1.43 grear ratio vs the 1.5 of the Bravos. Therefore you would swing a little less pitch than most of the 22s out there. A prop in the 22 inch range should be just right - email Mad Poodle and see if he can get a Turbo for you.

RickR
07-13-2006, 07:29 PM
yorkey
70 MPH is very optimistic for your setup. A well tuned 330HP in a 22 should get you around 65 MPH.
BTW a 22 pitch @ 1.43/1, 4500 RPM, 8% slip gets you 60 MPH
http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm