View Full Version : Magic's 16...

Magicallbill
07-12-2006, 11:46 PM
I think it Rocks..

What about you all?

Thanks to
Richard Weaver for the decals..
Scott Pearson for the Shifter Knob
Matt/Lenny/and everyone for the advice&help.
Thanks to Big Grizz for the 23 Solas that works like a charm.
Jerry Eisele for the boat itself..
Special note to Lenny;
I'm afraid to make speed runs with this thing..We have a 280-upper with the 200-lower,'cause we blew the 200 up at 5000-5500RPM.
I'm with you, I'd like to know, but the equation is
"Blow up drive=Bill loses boat for a month."
AND...
My my most special thanks go out to my son Jason for buying the boat from Jerry for me, and The incredible "Whalerman" Randy Crum, the best man for "All Things Boating" That I know. HE is the reason that bost looks and operates the way it does.
He fixed all the mistakes that I sent him, orchestrated the paint job,juggled the re-chroming,handled the structural stuff,(stringers,etc.) custom-made engine parts that needed to go on there that weren't there..PLUS, he still ran a full-time repair shop as well..
One incredible dude, I tell ya...
PLUS, special mention to Dennis Woody who made the engine at his speed shop..He has won awards for engines that he built for people who "Engage in Speed Contests.."
AND I can't forget my friend of 40-plus years, Tyrone Thorne, who designed the engine from the start, and who added considerably more horsepower than we started out with.(See above paragraph-Blown Drive Unit..)
He keeps my boats up-and-running in fine form..Thanks you Ty...
OK.No more acadamy awards..
Engine specs..
347CID(Hopped-up 302, I'm told.)
397HP at 6000RPM..(See Above paraqraph,Blown Drive Unit...)
Volvo Drive..280 Upper/200 Lower..
Grizz's 23 Solas..
If I've forgotten anyone, I'm sorry..
Oh yeah, Rootsy, you were right..The boats a HUGE handful above 4500..However fast that's goin'. BIG diff from my 18 Scorp.

Yee-Ha!!

MB

p729lws
07-13-2006, 12:37 AM
I think it Rocks..

Yep, no question about it, that Rocks:yes: :yes: :yes:

Dan

superhatz
07-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Perfect!..........I can't get enough of the original look.

penbroke
07-13-2006, 07:13 AM
WOW!:eek!:

Frank

Morgan's Cloud
07-13-2006, 08:32 AM
I'm proud of that and it's not even mine !

What a great end result.... Out of curiousity , what kind of paint was used ?

Steve

Lenny
07-13-2006, 08:37 AM
NIIICEEEEEE :yes: :yes: :yes: ,

No GPS numbers yet ? :D

BGH18
07-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Great job Bill. Hope to see it this summer!:boat:

DonCig
07-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Lenny, in that boat the reading of the GPS is probably delayed by the boats acceleration. You have to be able to maintain the speed for a little bit in order to get a good reading. I had the same problem last week, I would look at the speedo and see one number but when using the recall feature of the GPS I would get a higher number. I talked to GEOO this week and recalled being able to stop his boat after a high speed run and the GPS speedo would still show him moving at 100 mph for a few seconds.

Don

Magicallbill
07-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Len; Read my "Blog" so-to-speak..I put a special note to you in there..

Matt.. Thanks for the info about the wheel..I will certainly cover it..

Thanks all..Appreciate the feedback!

Jerry Eisele...Are you looking???

Magicallbill
07-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Len; Read my "Blog" so-to-speak..I put a special note to you in there..

Matt.. Thanks for the info about the wheel..I will certainly cover it..

Thanks all..Appreciate the feedback!

Jerry Eisele...Are you looking???

Morgan..
The paint was done by Skater Performance Marine(Hi-speed Cats),and is an Imron-type, I think. I can get more specifics, if you want.

knots2u
07-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Very nice! Where's Jasons boat?

Magicallbill
07-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Very nice! Where's Jasons boat?

A week or two behind..

When we blew apart my AQ200,Jason elected to have me take his 280-Top on his 16,and he would get another one..
His is ready to fire&prop as soon as we get him another drive..
Thanks for the positive comment on my rig..Took 2 years to do..wow...

Jerry Eisele
07-13-2006, 07:03 PM
BILL!!!!! That Boat Rocks. You did a great job. Pick an evening in the next couple weeks to meet over at Brookville. We could get Byran, Brad Hicks and whoever wants to jump in. I'd love to see it LIVE!

Jerry

wannabe
07-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Now that looks like a top notch restoration!! I've seen lots of imitations.

Magicallbill
07-14-2006, 01:49 AM
Thanks much!!
We really tried to keep the original vibe going..When we re-did stuff, we made it to original specs,with a few exceptions..The engine;Helm Chair;Gauges,exhaust tips,and so on..For the most part it's "like it was."
Jerry;
We are goin' on vacation the last week in July..Jason and I have discussed meeting you at Brookville,and have every intention of doing so..It'll have to be in August at this point.
You have to see this thing in person...And you will.....

Magicallbill
07-14-2006, 01:58 AM
Great job Bill. Hope to see it this summer!:boat:

Brad..
Glad you like it..You probably read above that I'm gonna meet maybe you,Jerry and whoever at Brookville in August..
How's the 18?

MB

BGH18
07-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Bill,
Have my calender marked for Brookville on the 18th. Hope to see Jerry & Elizabeth and Byron & Jill too.I will call Jeff & Molly from Dayton and see if they want to meet us as well. Can't wait to see your Boat......sweeettt :-)

Magicallbill
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Brad..
No,no.. When I said "How's the 18?" I meant how is the red 18 that you bought from Jason.. Not that we meet on Aug 18th..
Jason wants to wait 'till he gets his red 16 together before we meet you all over there,so he has something too.
We'll keep you informed,and set a meet date when Jason gets his rig together..Hopefully in August..
Thanks,

MB

BGH18
07-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Ok Bill,
The 18 is great! I did hit a log just below the water at AOTH in Cumberland and busted the gimble ring. Had it fixed and went to Norris Lake in Tenn and had a great time. Were going back to Tenn again in Aug from 8th to 17th. Would like to meet up with everyone at Brookville....
Be in touch

Tony
07-14-2006, 09:09 PM
AWESOME! It's great to see a high quality restoration on this era boat.
Hull #413 is very close to Jay Lurie's #420...both have the very classy and somewhat rare "Donzi Marine" script lettering above the decals. Use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the steeering wheel, it conditions and UV protects, also.

:beer:

boatnut
07-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Beautiful, congrats, great job!!!! An inspiration for all of us. Ed

Magicallbill
07-15-2006, 02:15 AM
Tony&Boatnut..
Thanks soo much..Your kind words are much appreciated..That goes for everyone here who commented.I watch the site here frequently,and admire your all's Donzi's in pics and stories. The fact that you all like what I had done to mine is a great kick-in-the-pants for me.
I look at my '02 18 Scorpion and my '68 restore side-by-side,and realize that the '68 has an "aura" or a "Vibe" about it that the '02 doesn't possess,much as I love my Scorp..We tried to keep and refurbish as much of the original parts as possible,as I've said previously..
Y'know, Jason commented that after all the work done on the boat, you can stick your head in the cockpit,and it still smells and feels like an "old Boat."

That's way cool..

Brad, I'm sorry,but not surprised about your log incident down there.I'll bet it was between Jamestown Dock and Lee's Ford where you hit it.
I've boated down there for 20-plus years,and will not go back for that reason. I've hit all the logs I'm gonna hit..

BGH18
07-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Bill your right, We left Jamestown and was going to Conley bottom for breakfast and about half way there I hit it. Was lucky that all it did was broke one of the ears/ tabs off the bottom of the gimble ring. We were still able boat to Conley and back to Jamestown. Just ran slow.

Jasonbighands
07-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey everyone... I just drove Dad's '68 yesterday and Holy Crap!!!!!! It's by far the most fun I've had driving a boat in 20 +years of boating. It's incredible. The new ones are cool, but totally different. As much of a pain and waiting it takes to restore one, it's worth all the crap and money.

Also...Hello to Brad Hicks. I can't wait to go boating with you'all, but I need a boat first!

gcarter
07-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Boy that boat turned out nice!!

You know, there're companies listed in Hemmings Motor News that re-do vintage automotive steering wheels.

Magicallbill
07-20-2006, 12:40 AM
Boy that boat turned out nice!!
You know, there're companies listed in Hemmings Motor News that re-do vintage automotive steering wheels.
Hey Mr Carter..
You are referring to my wheel on the 16 I assume?
Matty says to use,uh, what the heck did he say..3M something-or-other and it would help to protect it from the UV rays.
By the way, Jason isn't kidding.That boat is the real deal to drive and just look at.
Glad you like it.

MB

BigGrizzly
07-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Bill, Sorry I couldn't stop in whil I was in indy last week. By the time I was done at Precision props it was late and I had ti get to Nashville and see my uncle. as it was I got there at 11:00 pm. And I flew. Boat looks great and is same as our 16 except your is faster and better looking

Magicallbill
07-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Mr. Grizz;
Yeah, I would've liked to show you both the boats, but, hey, another day..
YOur prop works to puurrrfection..Thanks for all your help.
Mr. Poodle..So glad you like the boat..Your not mad at me 'cause I pull it with a Chevy are you??I even got my brakes fixed..It really does stop now..
Matt..Thanks for the history on the wheel.The boat will be indoors in my barn all the time except for running it, obviously. It was Tony who suggested the Proctectant..I thought it was you.

BUIZILLA
07-21-2006, 06:26 AM
:lightning :lightning :smash: :anchor: :anchor: :anchor: :anchor: :anchor:

BUIZILLA
07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Quit picking on my avatar......

I think it's great...........

Reminds me of the typical 6.0 Powerchoke owner, sitting on the side of the road, perpetually waiting for a tow truck, wondering why his head gaskets are sticking out the side of the block, and wondering why his passenger airbag always deploys's going over a speed bump in a trailer trash park....

Think i'm kidding.... walk through the pit's of ANY major car racing venue, and the pull vehicle count is 80% Dmax, and 20% 6.0 owners...

Don't EVEN get me started on other 6.0 facts....... :bonk:

:wink:

Magicallbill
07-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Now Boys......

This IS a thread about my 16..

Ahem.......

I will say one thing..Jason has a Duramax Dual that he got to pull his 23ZF CC,and so far it gets 8-9MPG.
That blows..I was always told deisels get 12-14 towing things.
I asked, and a couple people said that the dual trucks are more weight,drag with the extra tires and all.
Still, for 4K extra,or whatever it was, you should get better mileage.My gas 3/4 Chev(That I fixed the brakes on) will get 8-9 puilling the ZF.

Magicallbill
07-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Omigosh!!
I almost committed the ultimate miscarriage..
I forgot to give great kudos to Bilt-Rite interiors..The very best and legitimate old-style Donzi seat-place..GREAT stuff..Thanks so much..

mrfixxall
07-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Quit picking on my avatar......
I think it's great...........
Reminds me of the typical 6.0 Powerchoke owner, sitting on the side of the road, perpetually waiting for a tow truck, wondering why his head gaskets are sticking out the side of the block, and wondering why his passenger airbag always deploys's going over a speed bump in a trailer trash park....
Think i'm kidding.... walk through the pit's of ANY major car racing venue, and the pull vehicle count is 80% Dmax, and 20% 6.0 owners...
Don't EVEN get me started on other 6.0 facts....... :bonk:
:wink:

diddo......well said buiz

Magicallbill
12-07-2006, 03:42 AM
After the remainder of the summer/fall running this boat, I can truthfully say that it's the most fun to drive and the coolest boat ever.
I can recommend without a doubt that any hi-perf rig of this nature should have hydraulic steering. It needs no tabs,and while it's a handfuil at hi-speed, the hydro-steering helps a lot.
I mentioned this in another thread, but the boat was radar-gunned at 62 MPH at 4800-or-so. She'll turn over 5000 easy;Randy say's it'll hit 5500 with one person in it. Grizz say's she'll hit 70 doing the math with the 23 Solas.All one needs is the balls to hang onto it...
Permit me to wish everyone here Happy Holidays..My wishes have come true with Jason, friends,good health, a great band that we perform in, and...This Boat.
Thanks for everyone's input and comments.

MB...

Tony
12-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Bill, keep your eyes peeled for a mid-week gathering in Rootsy's neighborhood (south-central Michigan) early next summer.
I've GOTTA see this boat in person!

:beer:

Magicallbill
12-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Tony;
If it's mid-week, Jason and I are there..
It can't be weekends because of band-scheduling constraints.
Keep me informed, we don't want to miss it.You'll do more than see it, we'll take rides..It'll be a hoot, I'm sure.
Looking foreward to meeting you, Rootsy, Patti, and all...
Have a great holiday,

MB..

BigGrizzly
12-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words. From the Grizzly family we all wish you well. Your dream for Jason comming true is the start of the fun. We may get together soon.

Donziweasel
12-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Absolutly amazing! This boat has been LOVED!:)

MDonziM
12-08-2006, 07:16 PM
That is one great looking 16. I had a 68 16 years ago, all orig, 289 HM. Put a Volvo 280 package (300hp 350) and it was a handfull. Cant even imagine another 100 hp. Have fun w/ her.

Magicallbill
12-09-2006, 04:21 AM
I can't either..
I don't use the extra 100 for fear of blowing the Volvo and/or ending up in Davy Jones Locker.