PDA

View Full Version : Minx Windshield

techspecial
07-12-2006, 08:14 PM
I've been on here looking for one before...
Talked to a fabricator in Las Vegas but it is a logistical impossibility.
He really needs the boat to properly construct one.
Any body have the remains of the center section in any kind of shape?
I have one of the side pieces so I can use that as a pattern.
I don't have enough of the center section for anyone to work with.
Does anyone know how these Italian windshields with the frame came about?
I thought I could live without one but I'm getting tired of scraping bugs off my teeth!!!:italy:

U.S.A. Marine Windows Mfg inc.
07-07-2007, 01:28 PM
We are a custom windshield manufacturer and most likely can help you.
call us at 954-704-3880-business[/B].
954-441-4392-fax.

chime walker
06-21-2008, 01:02 AM
bell plastics in oakland, ca i believe made a really nice copy of my original, their phone number is 510-784-1111. my name is shannon owens, they should have my info and maybe tooling they used to make mine. i however need brackets that hold the three pieces together, my mechanic has misplaced them and i am at a loss. let me know your thoughts, my # is 530-412-1610 or you can leave me a reply or a message to, chime walker here at donzi.net.....thanks, shannon

techspecial
06-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I have the brackets...I can send you one you can use as a template and you can have a pair made...They aren't that complicated...
Mike
How much was the windshield?

chime walker
06-22-2008, 03:31 PM
mike, thanks for the message. i sent a reply email to you last night. i had recieved it at my hotmail account and i think the reply was going to come through donzi.net, but i am not sure. let me know what i can send you for shipment of the bracket and collateral. u.s.a marine windows manufacturing inc sent a post saying all i need was the dimension of the windshield where it meets the side piece as well as the dimension of the side piece where it meets the windshield. they said minx's had two different windshield setups. they also said they are the ones who made the windshield and brackets originally for the minx and other donzi's as well. let me know what your thoughts are? i paid either $1,800 or $2,000 for my replacement windshield. thanks, shannon

shannon owens (sierrashannon44@hotmail.com)
835 snowshoe court/ p.o. box 1078
tahoe city, ca 96145
(530) 583-1545 home
(530) 412-1610 cell

techspecial
06-24-2008, 09:51 AM
I'll drop it in the mail today if I get a chance

chime walker
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
thanks mike i really appreciate the help. having that bracket in hand will be nice and should be able to get it back i the mail as soon as we dimension it and or copy it.....thanks, shannon

techspecial
07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Shannon,
Did you get the bracket yet???

chime walker
07-04-2008, 07:40 PM
i have not gotten it yet...i was at my mailbox yesterday and it was not there. or did you send it ups, fedex etc...to my home address? (835 snowshoe ct) let me know......thanks, shannon

techspecial
07-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Yes I sent it there USPS...
I put the box number on there too...
I guess that's why they call it "snail mail"
HAPPY 4th EVERYBODY!!!

Stan
09-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Donzi Windshield 22 Classic

Windshield Installation Story & Material for Sale

I just re-did the windshield on my 1989 22 Classic and have enough pieces left over to make another windshield.

My Windshield story:

I used 3/8 inch Polycarbonate made by Hyzod AR-2 # 7135. This is the BEST material you can use…PERIOD ! The 3/8 inch Polycarbonate is stronger and less flexible then the original 1/4 inch that was there. I also used the AR-2. That means "Abrasion Resistant" on BOTH sides. 7135 is the degree of darkness.

If any of you have called around for this stuff, you know it's hard to find. The ¼ in AR-1 # 7135 was almost impossible to get without ordering the six sheet minimum ! And when I did find some Polycarbonate in 1/4 in # 7135 ............ it still needed to be Abrasion Resistant coated for an extra charge of $ 125 per side. Trying to get the
3/8…….forget about it !!

I gotta tell you, I got lucky ! I called about 20 places here in Southern calif, and finally found 1 sheet of the 3/8 stuff. I only wanted the AR-1, but when they said they only had a sheet of the AR-2, I said " ITS MINE !!! ".

Drove out about 50 miles on a rainy Saturday morning, old windshields in hand. I was going to cut the pieces myself at home, but after seeing and talking to the guys there, I decided to have them cut the stuff for me, and boy, am I glad I let the pros do it.

They first cut the large sheet into 2 smaller more manageable sheets. They then placed the old windshields on top of the new pieces, securing one to the other using 2-sided tape (very smart) no clamps to get in the way. They then used a shaper (basically an upside down router) and traced the outline of the old pieces…..drilled the holes…..cleaned up the edges with a disc sander……..bingo all done. Took about 45 minutes. I used the old grommets from the previous plastic pieces.

I am confident I could have done as nice a job as the pros, but for a lot more time and thinking ! When you know how to do something right (the first time) it's easy.

Remember……."measure 3 times …cut once !! "

The 3/8 Polycarbonate Hyzod AR-2 4x8 sheet cost me $ 425 with sales tax ( and $ 80 bucks to cut ). From my calling around, this was a very good price, with NO shipping charge. So I'm in about $ 500 bucks. REMEMBER ….this is the 3/8 stuff, NOT the ¼.

For the ¼ stuff, I got quoted $180 a sheet plus $ 125 per side for Abrasion Resistant coating = $ 430 plus tax.and cutting.

I was hoping there would be enough material left over to do another windshield for a 22. But that's not going to happen. BUT, there is definitely enough to do a windshield for an 18 Classic or similar. The windshield on the 18 should be the same length as the 22 but the width is not as much. The side pieces, I figure about 38 inches in length and the width is also less than on a 22.

The 2 pieces I have left are :
71 3/8 x 14 1/8
48 ½ x 17
Polycarbonate Hyzod AR-2 # 7135

I know you can get a new windshield out of the big piece. I had an 18 classic and according to my measurements, I am confident you can get 2 sides from the smaller piece, but please check your own boat before buying this.

$ 225 plus the shipping…$ 25 bucks $ 250 Total

This way I recover some of my cost. If you think its expensive, that’s ok.......try finding this stuff !

Stan

Seh1@aol.com

818-406-1802