PDA

View Full Version : 69 Donzi Sweet 16 restore-rebuild

wrussellw
07-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I am looking for a little or alot of advice, whatever is available. I have purchased a 1969 Donzi 16. This was a project that was started, parts purchased and the original owner elected to stop here. I have it at a boat rebuilder in Texas and am in the process of making decesions.
So far I have Latham Power steering, thru-hull exhaust, rebuilt 351W, rebuilt Alpha-one, new interior, new gauges, stereo, flush mount running lights (bow and stern), and cleats, foot throttle.
I am going to have the deck and hull separated and re-cored.
It is currently a Bananna boat , but I am going to change to white with red stripe.
Obviously I am not keeping it original, but do like the 60's look
Any advice on does and dont's would be appreciated.
Thanks

Tony
07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Sounds like quite a project! Probably it is easier for most of our guys to address specific questions. With your experience it is likely you are already on the right track.

Welcome to the board...and good luck with your progress!

wrussellw
07-13-2006, 08:19 AM
thanks guys this what I am looking for. I had a new tank built comes out to 26 gallons. I also have trim tabs, complete re-wire, new Bilt-Rite interior. and yes I am keeping left hand drive. that's one of the things that made decide to invest in an older boat instead of a newer one.
the gelcoat is in great shape, I am going with paint.
as to the engine and drive I purchased this project from an individual that basically sat down ordered all the parts he needed and stacked them in his garage. the engine and complete drive has been rebuilt painted etc, looks and run great. chevy would be my first choice but could not pass this up. I am having all the work done by a professional speed shop and hope to splash it mid august. I know I am going to have a chunk of change in it but I really think the cool factor will there.
questions I have a MoMo steering that is okay anybody got any suggestions.
snap in carpet or glue in?
thanks

wrussellw
07-13-2006, 01:43 PM
I think snap-in too.
I have a Holley 650 4-barrel. I think the 750 would to much for the 351?

wrussellw
08-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Getting close on putting the boat in the water.
I will be using the boat in local rivers, smooth water, no current plenty wide with long straight runs with no speed or noise restrictions. Also will be boating in lake Pontchartrain. The lake is 24 miles by 30 miles. Depending on wind speed and directions I could be in flat conditions to about 1-2 foot chop.
I was thinking of starting with , say 3 props, and trying them out in the different conditions. Can one of you guys suggest some props.

1969 16 with Alpha One, 351W, Holley 650.
Thanks

BERTRAM BOY
08-04-2006, 10:06 AM
You're going to have "issues" with a right hand drive and a port helm. Most likely you're going to need to drag "lots of tab".

BTW, counter-rotating Alpha 1's are still available.

wrussellw
08-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Yes Rootsy mentioned that earlier in the thread. Can't believe that I didn't think of it. Been a sailor all my live and prop walk on a sailboat can be a major issue.
With the left hand drive being considered can somebody suggest some props. I do have trim tabs and hydraulic steering.
I won't be towing toys or skiers.
Smaller diameter, more pitch less torque to compensate for left hand steering?
Any advice would be great want to order some props soon.