PDA

View Full Version : (MAD)COWS on the Water - Up North Adventure - 8/12 & 13

gold-n-rod
07-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm floating this as a trial balloon for all of you MADCOWS. Chime in if you are interested.

COWS on the Water - Up North Adventure

Saturday, August 12th - Meet at Torch Lake for a day of boating. For those who don't know, Torch is a world-class inland lake with a kick-ass sandbar. More information can be found here: http://www.fishweb.com/maps/antrim/torchlake/

Sunday, August 13th - Meet at Crystal Lake for another day of boating. Crystal is not as long as Torch, but also offers some memorable inland boating. Info here: http://www.fishweb.com/maps/benzie/crystal_lake/index.html

Traverse City is between the two lakes. It offers plenty of lodging for both Friday and Saturday evenings. Lodging info here: http://www.mytraversecity.com/accommodations/ Torch is about 40 minutes from TC and Crystal is about 45 minutes from TC, so it's ideally located. TC would also be a great spot for a Saturday dinner for those who are interested.

For those who desire a big lake adventure, the port of Frankfort is a nice entry. Here are some pics. http://www.photography-plus.com/project/Frankfort.htm
Lodging is a bit more limited in Frankfort, but available.

These are Michigan's two finest inland lakes. It would be a most excellent adventure for those who have never visited. You could also do a Saturday or Sunday only trip.

If you wish to Mapquest the lakes, use 49624 for Eastport (northernmost tip of the lake) and 49635 for Frankfort.

I have a place in Frankfort and could host a couple of tents and tow rigs in my yard for those interested in doing this on the cheap.

Post your questions and intentions here!!!!!!!!!

Tony
07-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Count Cherrie and I in! I will be anxious to get in some boating...with the upcoming wedding and then a week of camping it will be good to hear some thru-hull exhaust again!

Thanks for putting up the post and researching the links. Let's go MADCOWS, these really are two very excellent lakes!

:beer:

BaldEagle
07-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Randy, I think we may be big boating up in that area around then. I'm thinking a stop in Frankford with the floating condo and the C18 is only 80 minutes away. I like it.

gold-n-rod
07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Randy, I think we may be big boating up in that area around then. I'm thinking a stop in Frankford with the floating condo and the C18 is only 80 minutes away. I like it.

You could dock at Frankfort and use my truck to zip down to Montague and back for your 18. :yes:

BaldEagle
07-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. Ill start a float plan. We are going to cruise up to the Grand Traverse Bay area around the last week of July and 1st week of Aug. Probably just port hop around a bit.
Frankfort is usually a stop and back to White Lake is an easy run if the Big Lake is behaving. And of course the waves always get smaller when you have to be somewhere.
Sounds great-its a beautiful area.

DonziChick
07-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I wish I could make it but my cousin's wedding shower is that weekend. I was told by my mom that I HAVE to be there :boggled:

gold-n-rod
07-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I wish I could make it but my cousin's wedding shower is that weekend. I was told by my mom that I HAVE to be there :boggled:

A shower takes up a whole freaking weekend?

If it's a Saturday, go to the shower, leave early, drive up North and meet us for Sunday on Crystal Lake.

I hear a certain..... ahem, special boat will be making its maiden voyage. I'll bet your cousin can't claim that..............

roadtrip se
07-20-2006, 07:33 AM
for Torch Lake on Saturday. Got a few logistical issues to work through...

As for Sunday, we would probably do a repeat of our Charlevoix/Lake Michigan trip earlier in the season.

Carl C
07-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Hey, Randy, how about switching Sunday to Lake Charlevoix? This would give us the option of playing on Lake Michigan a while if conditions permit and Grand Traverse Bay is right around the corner. These week-end events are expensive for me due to my work schedule and it's a little hard to justify the expense for a small lake which is sure to have a police presence on Sunday and we may not even be able to open up the throttles. It's just a thought. I'd like another crack at Lake Michigan. I probably couldn't justify the expense for Crystal Lake. If I didn't work week-ends I'd attend every MC event!:) :boat:

DonziChick
07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
A shower takes up a whole freaking weekend?
If it's a Saturday, go to the shower, leave early, drive up North and meet us for Sunday on Crystal Lake.
I hear a certain..... ahem, special boat will be making its maiden voyage. I'll bet your cousin can't claim that..............

I know I know. It's on Sunday but that's a pretty far drive for me. I'd do it if I could stay the whole weekend.

gold-n-rod
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey, Randy, how about switching Sunday to Lake Charlevoix? This would give us the option of playing on Lake Michigan a while if conditions permit and Grand Traverse Bay is right around the corner. These week-end events are expensive for me due to my work schedule and it's a little hard to justify the expense for a small lake which is sure to have a police presence on Sunday and we may not even be able to open up the throttles. It's just a thought. This thread is not getting a huge response but I'd be in for another crack at Lake Michigan. I probably couldn't justify the expense for Crystal Lake. If I didn't work week-ends I'd attend every MC event!:) :boat:

Huh? Are you back to smoking crack, Carl? Crystal is no pond. Sounds like you could hook up with RTSE if you wanted to do Charley-voy.

Shrug.

DonziBlue
07-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Randy, I am in for Saturday. I'll be driving up Friday morning. I am thinking about dropping in Suttons Bay on Friday and check out the bay before we go to Torch Lake on Saturday. Will you be around on Friday?

Brad

Carl C
07-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Huh? Are you back to smoking crack, Carl? Crystal is no pond. Sounds like you could hook up with RTSE if you wanted to do Charley-voy.
Shrug.I'm sorry Randy, this is your plan and I shouldn't have suggested a change. If I come up it'll be for Crystal Lake and maybe Lake Michigan on Monday. I will probably make it for Sunday.:)You're right that this is no pond. It looks to be 7 miles long and I'm sure it is beautiful with the sand dunes in that area. Here are some maps to add to the one in your link. I don't see a boat launch marked on either map. Randy could you point out where the launch is? This lake is 160 ft. deep! BTW, I've never smoked anything stronger than a bit o' the green.:eek!:

gold-n-rod
07-21-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry Randy, this is your plan and I shouldn't have suggested a change. If I come up it'll be for Crystal Lake and maybe Lake Michigan on Monday. I will probably make it for Sunday.:)You're right that this is no pond. It looks to be 7 miles long and I'm sure it is beautiful with the sand dunes in that area. Here are some maps to add to the one in your link. I don't see a boat launch marked on either map. Randy could you point out where the launch is? This lake is 160 ft. deep! BTW, I've never smoked anything stronger than a bit o' the green.:eek!:

Apology accepted. No harm, no foul.

There's a launch on the east end at Beulah, but I'll be directing folks to a road end that's a better choice. Better parking, too. It's gravel, but very usable. The DNR has a spot picked out for a new launch, but the frontage owners are fighting them. Seems they thinkk they own the godammed lake.

BTW, you'll see waaaaay more watercops on Torch than Crystal. As long as you are not reckless, they won't hassle you.

Yes, me too on the green, back in the day.... but I never inhaled!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony
07-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Randy...give us your opinion on the ramp in Eastport, at the north end of Torch Lake, just east of US-31. I know it worked well for my 16, but I seem to remember that it was not very steep. Will the 22's find this to be the best ramp? I know that it is lightly used and I like it for that. I dropped in last year at a DNR ramp on the river south of the lake and it was crazy crowded.

BaldEagle
07-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Randy,
I'm hoping to have my trailer by then so I can bring the new Valentine up. I'm planning on playing that week so if Carl wants to test his skill against the Big Lake again I may be around for Monday.
Any way I never pass up an opportunity to embarrass myself against mother nature.
Jeff

DonCig
07-26-2006, 12:02 AM
In the months of July and August, I wished I lived in Michigan or in the fine boating country of Canada.

Madcows Rock!

DonCig

BaldEagle
07-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Randy,
Things are stating to look up. I havent crashed mu AE yet and the trailer is supposed to be done this week. I may try to stage it up your way next week sometime.

Tony
08-02-2006, 06:46 PM
These two ramps are close together, one in Eastport and one in (the village of) Torch Lake.

Torch ramp question on OSO... (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1819596#post1819596)

Carl C
08-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Randy, I will still try to make it for Sunday. We need to add a spash of yellow to all that red! I'll watch the weather closely and try to find a way to do this. I'd really like to see Tony's newly polished 22 and Bald Eagles new AE. Not to mention that I've never seen your boat! I could sleep in my boat on your lot if I make a bug screen for my "cabin" opening and try Grand Traverse Bay on Monday, especially if others are staying Sunday night.:alligator

gold-n-rod
08-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Randy, I will still try to make it for Sunday. We need to add a spash of yellow to all that red! I'll watch the weather closely and try to find a way to do this. I'd really like to see Tony's newly polished 22 and Bald Eagles new AE. Not to mention that I've never seen your boat! I could sleep in my boat on your lot if I make a bug screen for my "cabin" opening and try Grand Traverse Bay on Monday, especially if others are staying Sunday night.:alligator

Carl: You are in luck. Tony and Cherrie are staying Sunday night and going up to Leland (20 mi further north) and putting into Lake Michigan and crusing along the Sleeping Bear Natl. Lakeshore. I'll be going back to EL on Monday am, but I'm sure there's a way we can put you up for Sunday evening.

My cel is 517.505.6456 Give me a shout if you decide to come up.

Carl C
08-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Randy, I'm still up in the air on this. Some of it depends on the weather prediction and some on how much $$ I make Fri and Sat. In any case I made a folding bug screen to use when and if I have to sleep in the boat. The nights are getting cooler so this should work. I can wash up in the lake. I will keep in touch.:alligator