PDA

View Full Version : 152 Medallion Jet Boat perfrmance information (REAL Donzi or NOT)

SilverBack
07-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Hello all,

I bought (on eBay) a 94 Donzi 152 jet boat a little while back and after being very dissatisfied with the performance (it wouldn't even plane out) I replaced the entire jet drive I tuned on the engine and it was still struggling. I then dug a little deeper and found the "real" problem. It makes all of the difference in the world when corrected.

The 2 consoles have removable panels. Under the panels you find the floatation. My floatation was soaked with water. I figure at over 1000 lbs worth of water. (This boat is only supposed to weigh 1500 lbs) that is almost double the correct weight. The floatation had gotten water logged and soaked up the water like a sponge. There was no place for the water to drain as this part of the hull gets no real ventilation and NO drainage.

I removed the floatation. As I removed it I put it in 55 gal drums and weighed it. Over 1000 lbs. You have to split the top and bottom of the hull or cut the floor in the sides of the engine compartment to get to the floatation back there. I then got a two part flotation from West Marine and refilled the boat with new floatation. New rub rail, went ahead and put on a keel guard repainted and upholstered the boat and now it runs pretty good for what it is. It is a fun boat (kind of like a big jet ski).

I just wanted to put this info out there because I couldn't find any information when I started my project and it would have saved me a few thousand if I would have removed the covers and floatation first.

It wasn't all bad though. When I removed the floatation and saw how good the construction was on the hull and the fiberglass work I started looking for a REAL Donzi. I just bought a 23' Regazza and I am going to Pensacola to look at a Z29 (2 454's) project (that I think I am going to buy) in a couple of weeks.

Happy boating

Barry Eller
07-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Does your Donzi Jet have the 90 HP Mercury SportJet set up?

I owned a 1995 Regal Rush with the 90 HP SportJet. It was fun, but very slow. I think around 28-30 MPH. It would not plane with more than 2 people on board. Used more gasoline than my 22 Classic with a 502. Always something breaking down in the electrical systems.

I think in 1996, Regal went to the 120HP SportJet. I don't know if Donzi did or not.

I hope you have better success with yours.

SilverBack
07-11-2006, 08:51 AM
It has a 90 HP mercury sport jet. It does use a lot of gas. Was your boat new or used?? Just wondering if you had some water in your hull too. Thi ting runs 40 mph. I also put trim tabs on it. It planes a lot quicker!!

By the way Barry,
I see you live in Gulf Breeze. Do you knowof this Red Z29 that the lawn care man owns in Pensacola????

Barry Eller
07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
The Regal Rush was 2 years old when I bought it. No wet floatation, just a very deep vee hull. I think you will find Jet Boat and Jet Ski speedometers are very generous. I remember a Powerboat Magazine test on all jet boats in the mid nineties, none of them with the 90HP SportJets would run much faster than 30-32MPH. Some of the new ones with 175 HP V6's only run in the 45 MPH range.

I don't know the Donzi in Pensacola you are referring to. What is the owners name or business? Give me information on it and I would be happy to eye ball it for you.

SilverBack
07-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Barry, The guys name is Del. I don't know what his businesses name is. I don't think he has ever had it in the water.

Barry Eller
07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't know Del. If he has never had the Donzi in the water, I've not seen it. Is the boat advertised? How did you hear about it?

Here is a photo of my old Regal Rush. I sold it 1 year ago.

SilverBack
07-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Barry,
I heard of it on Donzi Registry!! I called and talked to the guy. I don't know why you would buy a boat and a $5000 trailer for it and bring it home and never try to do anything with it. He says that everything is fine with it. It just needs some TLC. It is not much money and we do not have any boats like that up in my part of the country so I think I might see what is going on with it. My family races and we have all kind of stroker BBC engines and parts. If I like it I think I would like to get rid of some toys and buy a good 60-70k Donzi. I just started looking and all of these old Donzis are soooo cheap. I bought a 23' Regazza off of ebay and had an inspection done on it and they said i was almost like new. It did have a new GM reman motor and new alpha one drive. I only paid $6900 for it. You can't buy anything for that!!! I have a lot more than that in my lttle jet boat. Anyway this is the url:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42737&highlight=z29

Last Tango
05-02-2007, 11:04 PM
I owned a '96 Regal Rush XP with the 140hp motor. Indicated 40 MPH. I bought it used in 1998. It sat on its trailer for 4 months untouched. Then, in February '99 I had the local Regal dealer do a full service on the engine and drive, and check the electricals. Put it in the water, drove it for an hour (too cold to go much longer). The following weekend I drove it for another hour.
Put it back on the trailer and drove to the Donzi dealer and traded it in for my first Donzi, brand new '99 Sweet 16 with 190hp V-6. Indicated 56mph. Owned it 6 months and traded it in on a special order Classic 18 with MX6.2MPI and Bravo one drive, kept that one 6 years before trading for my '06 22ZX.
I have seen the 152 Jet Donzi. One here in Jax for sale several years ago. Very tatty condition. Passed on buying it. Jet drive concept is what intreagues me since we have lots of shallow water and large mammals that swim in it. I keep going back to the idea of ordering a new Sweet 16 with the 220hp v-6 and a jet drive.
Top speed not the main interest. Fun, exciting, Donzi that won't run aground on the back of a manatee is priority for this particular idea.

yeller
05-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I voted yes because it's made by Donzi, so that makes it a Donzi regardless of performance.

Tango, the 16's seem to be a perfect match for a jet. No porpoise, no chinewalk and impossible to spin out. I'd guess 220hp will get you close to 55mph. I do a tick over 60 with a 300hp LT1. That's spinning an 'A' impeller at 4400rpm which would be shy of the rated 300hp.

Barry Eller
05-04-2007, 05:24 AM
Mark, I understand your concern for the Manatees and the use of jet drives in those area they frequent. I towed my Regal Rush to Crystal River, Fl. to go diving with the Manatees. It was a great feeling being in the water with them. They love their backs scratched!

I did have a lot of trouble keeping vegetation out of the intake. The Regal Rush did not have a "Hand hole" to clean out the pump. The only way to remove "seaweed" was to go overboard and under the boat.

I have my 1974 Tahiti 16' outboard resting under the Magnolia tree in my back yard. After the rebuild on the Donzi engine, I am going to start a project converting that hull to jet drive. I'm looking at a used Berkley set up now. I think it is a Berkley Model 12JC. The net weight on the entire pump unit is only 125 lbs. Much lighter than a stern drive unit. Also it only has one rotating element, the shaft and impeller assembly. Talk about simplicity!

My power will be SBC. It won't be fast in Donzi terms, but it will be something else to play with and enjoy in shallow waters and to go places I can't take the 22. Plus I get to ride the boat I have owned 30+ years again!

js550
05-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi,

I'm about to buy a 152 medallion with 120hp Force engine (1997 year boat). Is this a true Donzi and the seller says it goes 70mph, but I kind of doubt that.

Is this a good solid boat for about $4k?

Anything I should look for before buying it?

Thanks

pmreed
07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
120 hp might get you into the low 40s, if you're lucky, high 30s more likely. $4K actually seems a bit high to me for one of these. If it's in good shape, maybe low $3s. Those little jetboats are fun, but...I had 175 hp Merc Sportjet in my 16.5' Sugar Sand and it GPS'ed at 51 with 1/2 tank and two on board, and I'd burn through 20 gal of gas in a short afternoon! The boat was a ball, but inefficient as all get out. A 175 hp outboard on a similar hull would be at least 10 mph faster.

Good luck, Phil

SilverBack
11-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I had forgotten all about this thread. That was the good old days!! My cousin still has that boat I think. It was top painted to match my Armada!

theo
11-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I just bought a Medallion 152 for tooling . I always loved Donzi and so was attracted to this immediately. It is in good condition and got it very cheap $1200 with an untitled trailer. I was searching the web for days trying to find info before the purchase and couldn't find anything of value. the owner bought it from a female resently divorced , he didn't know anything about boats or this boat. He stated "This listing is for my friends 1996 120hp Donzi Medallion Jet Boat. She has owned it for years and stored it in her garage. Times are tough for her and she hasn't been using it. It has been sitting for about 6 months. It is in terrific shape, all the gauges work, very clean, nice CD Player with working speakers. I borrowed it from her last week to take it on the Peace River, I put in half a tank of new fuel, and it fired right up and idles great. However when we took it out on the water it wouldn't go above 28mph, she said it used to go almost 50. I drove it around for about an hour, it seemed like it got a little better, but not like it is supposed to be.."
I purchased the boat and took it out ...the engine sounds good and spotless engine compartment...It started right up and got right on plan and went to 34mph(according to the speedo) then I couldn't get above 32mph..in very calm water, by myself at 220lbs and 1/4 tank of gas...It was a fun little thing and figured i could get it up into high 40's with some tinkering(guessing)...then after 30 minutes in the dark ..I started doing 360's and the boat wouldn't go...ran great but nothing ..as the boat drifted I noticed I was in 3 feet of water and grass was to the top of the water, figured clogged but I know in jets the impellor doesn't reverse...the boat does not go at all...but just revs...After rowing home for over an hour(fun,fun,fun)the boat is docked and trailer is not accessible....help, how to clean out,I was going to dive under boat...but this is fresh water,in south florida ,at night,and I would rather admire gators from afar. tommorrrow is a new day....please help...:beer:

SilverBack
11-05-2008, 09:59 PM
There is not a lot to that thing. Make sure that it is not hung in neutral where the little flap on the back of the nozzle is covering it half way. If that is not it you may have messed up the impeller or the housing. I replaced all of that stuff on the one that I used to have. It cost several hundred dollars.

Barry Eller
11-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Vegetation in the pump intake causes the impeller to just cavitate. With my old Regal Rush, I would have to go overboard and under the boat to clean out seaweed by hand. It was a PAIN in the ASS, especially when the water was cold. What engine does your boat have?

SilverBack
11-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Barry,
That is true about the intake grill. I was just saying that the system is not too complicated. There is no transmission or anything. If the engine is spinning the impeller is spinning unless there is a gear or shaft that is broken. It is direct drive.

Just Say N20
03-24-2009, 09:02 PM
I hate it when this happens. I was barely moving by the time I made it to the ramp.

Planetwarmer
07-17-2009, 09:44 AM
I hate it when this happens. I was barely moving by the time I made it to the ramp.

Just think how the seaweed felt!:shocking:

BUIZILLA
07-17-2009, 10:00 AM
mmmmmmmm..

sushi salad :kingme:

younger
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
A buddy of mine put a 300 pro max x power head and bigger pump in a 152 and the resaults have not been that great. It is super fast to 55 or so, but it starts jumping out of the water at greater speeds.