PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX Cabin Wall removal

DJ13
07-09-2006, 09:57 PM
:garfield: I've attempted to remove my 22ZX cabin wall for access to install some Accon Marine pop up cleats, but to no avail...the wall won and I surrendered. At least until I get some advice from the braintrust here on this fantastic website!! (it's like going to Oz to have your questions answered) So...anyone have tricks, tips, or techniques on how to accomplish this task without breaking anymore parts and pieces?? I'm hoping someone knows...thanks!

Digger
07-10-2006, 07:32 AM
DJ what exactly are you trying to remove? I'm not familiar with the 22ZX cabin. If you are trying to remove a wall, i.e. tranverse bulkhead that runs across the interior of the boat then don't do it, this is a structural member that provides rigidity to the hull... unless the 22 has a drop in liner in that portion of the hull, which I don't know...

DJ13
07-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Digger,

What I'm trying to accomplish is removing the wall, temporarily, to access the hull and install pop-up cleats which the 22ZX really needs just forward of the cockpit. I don't want to take it out for good, I just need to be able to tighten the nuts on the cleats, then reinstall. I got it part way out but realized that the more I moved it forward, the smaller the berth gets. I'm thinking they install the wall before the top deck goes on in the mfg process. Maybe it's not possible...

Dave

synack
07-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Seems like you are trying to put them too far forward.

Your best bet is to follow Richard's instructions on how to install 4" Accon cleats on a 22ZX. I used them to install two cleats on my 22ZX and the directions were perfect!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34936

Uncle Fester
07-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Dave...you don't need to go that far forward. Look where mine are at. Access is easy and I haven't found a boat or a dock that they don't match up perfectly on.

DJ13
07-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys. I used Richard's instructions (145.5" from the tip of the bow, following the rub rail) and it puts the cleat on the driver's side in an area behind the cabin wall, but not accessible from the fuse box. Similarly, I can't access the passenger side through the glove box because it is self contained. I'm obviously missing something here...If they were farther forward it would be less of an issue (no cabin wall probs) but they wouldn't be reachable from the cockpit.

Question: How do I get to the hull from either side if the cleats are closer to the cockpit? My Accon cleats only require two 3/4" holes from a hole saw and access from inside to tighten the nuts. The speaker holes seem too low to reach the position but I'm not positive on that...I did have a friend helping me who was looking into the fuse box and glove box while i was in the cuddy, telling me that it couldn't be done in either spot...

Thanks!

synack
07-11-2006, 12:41 PM
I went through the radio hole on one side and the speaker hole on the other side. When installing the cleats, all you need to do from the inside is to get a wrench on the nut and hold it while someone from the outside turns the screw. It's definitely a two person job. Don't forget to put the backing plate on!

DJ13
07-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks! I went with the Accon 405's which you have to screw the nut's on from behind. You just drill two 3/4" holes and torque them down from the inside...that's where the problem lies...

synack
07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Those new cleats look sharp!

One thing that I did to help with the install was to remove the seat on the side I was working on. With the seat removed, you have more room to lay down to get your arm up in the hole.

Take some pics when it's done!

DJ13
07-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Will do. The lack of a cleat in that position is how my windshield got broken. That is shipping as we speak so she should be back together in a week or so. Now I'm dealing with a cracked prop blade!!! It never really ends....:eek!:

22zxla
07-11-2006, 06:31 PM
You guys are correct about having no cleats up front and no were to hang bumpers when tying up to another boat. I saw that post about installing the cleats, think ill do it as well. Going to do that and install a pop up bow light too.

22billyzx
07-11-2006, 06:42 PM
I insatlled the 6" cleats mentioned this winter on my 22zx,and also went thru the speaker hole on the port side,and removed the radio on the starboard side. The only problem i had was the backing plate that came with them wasn`t thick enough to snug down to the inside of the hull,so i used a piece of plywood to make up the difference. It deffinitely helps to have an extra hand. I also used a marine adhesive,but not the 5200 made by 3M. That stuff will remove fiberglass if you ever have to take them off.

22billyzx
07-11-2006, 06:44 PM
P.S. mine are in the exact location as uncle festers zx (just behind the cabin)