PDA

View Full Version : Ford 351 Alternator Setup Help

AGUESS
07-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi, this might seem like a stupid question, but I can not figure out where the Alternator hooks up to my engine.

I started the restoration of my 66 Classic 18 - 5 years ago, then got sick with Lyme (I hate ticks). Anyway, much better now, have set the new 351 engine, but I can't figure this out.

One picture I see shows the Alt on the left side (facing front of engine) above the raw water pump, and it appears that the Alt mounting bracket is attached to the circulating water pump.

Another picture shows the Alt on the right side (facing).

I have two different brackets, both are suppost to be for the 351, but I can not figure this out. I have removed several bolts on the circulating pump and can not get two holes in the Alt bracket to match the water pump.

Does the bracket only attach with one bolt to the water pump?

Any help is appreciated. I really want to finish the restoration this month.

Can you post a picture. That would really help.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Alex.

mphatc
07-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Alex,
Sorry to hear of your illness with Lyme . . .
I have pictures of all of this and I have a stock H&M 351 on the rack with all the parts installed.
In this thread should be everything you'll need . .
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35464
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3987&d=1088385536
Don't hesitate to call me at work if you need help or more pictures . .
Mario L.
603-228-2888

AGUESS
07-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Mario, Thank you. Good looking engine!

You have a newer setup with the raw water pump, etc., than I have. What I was looking for was an idea of the old, original style alternator attachment.

I have looked at a few engine pictures on ebay and will try the mounting brackets again tonight. If I can not figure it out, I will call the dealer I order my parts from.

Thank you again for your help.

Alex.

AGUESS
07-10-2006, 08:51 PM
OK, found a mounting location on the right side, top of water pump just above the fuel pump. Now, just need to buy longer bolts.

This trying to turn a pcm 351 into a volvo setup when I took everything apart many years ago is a lot of fun.

Thanks again for your help.

Alex.