PDA

View Full Version : Something good

FOSTER
07-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Something good has got to come out of this. Here's some before and after pics of my 1981 18 footer. First real boat project but I'm learning and paying my dues. Most any one can open their wallet and buy a boat, Not everyone can rebuild it. Seems most of you here see it the same way and take a lot of pride in your Donzi's. Thank you for the inspiration help and support.
Bret.

gcarter
07-09-2006, 06:54 PM
This is an excellant time to change to these wonderful GLM aluminum center rise manifolds. Can't beat the price.

http://oceaneastmarine.com/images/manifold_features_flier.gif

Pismo
07-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Very cool project to watch. Please give some details, looks like a 350 with a stock R/MR/pre-Alpha drive. Is that an aftermarket intake and carb? Why did you begin, did the engine and/or drive fail or was it just time? Are you doing hull work as well? Thanks

LKSD
07-10-2006, 08:29 AM
This is an excellant time to change to these wonderful GLM aluminum center rise manifolds. Can't beat the price.
http://oceaneastmarine.com/images/manifold_features_flier.gif

Actually, I think that hull will be getting a nice set of sharp EMI's w/ss risers, as well as a really cool Imco steering system... :D :D :D Jamie / Lakeside

FOSTER
07-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Very cool project to watch. Please give some details, looks like a 350 with a stock R/MR/pre-Alpha drive. Is that an aftermarket intake and carb? Why did you begin, did the engine and/or drive fail or was it just time? Are you doing hull work as well? Thanks

I bought the boat last august from a local dealer with the understanding the 400 sb was freshly rebuilt by pro with next to 0 hours on it, Ran her on lake winni and newfound every chance we got, about 50 or so hrs. changed oil after first 10. Ran great 68 to 70 mph 5200 rpm + or - . Late summer and into the fall thought I could hear a little knocking from engine, and was having hard time with alpha gen 1 drive, hard shifting, reverse and no forward one time just worn out and tired. Put her up for the season, pulled drive and engine to see what kind of problems i could find. Found plenty. the only part of the motor any good was the Edelbrock performer rpm intake and what was left of the block. The rest was scored, worn and scratched and was scraped. Today the motor is bored 60 over, machined compleatly and rebuilt. Not to much into motor building so cant give to many details. My builder says a very conservetive 450 + hp. Thinking of finding an engine dyno and get dialed in right. And yes thanks to the two Jamie's I have plenty of new parts. Hull work next year, I hope. The wallets starting to hurt. Few more pictures..

LKSD
07-11-2006, 12:34 PM
I see the Imco stork arrived ;) :D :D Jamie

FOSTER
07-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I see the Imco stork arrived ;) :D :D Jamie

Yes it did, yesterday very very nice:D

LKSD
07-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Good.. :) Im glad you like it.. :) Jamie

tmdog
07-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Where did you get the valve covers? Look good on my small block.:wink:
Are those the tall covers?

FOSTER
07-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Where did you get the valve covers? Look good on my small block.:wink:
Are those the tall covers?

Summit racing part #CAL-196186. they say stock height but I think there a little taller. You will have to supply your own paint.

FOSTER
07-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Made a little more progress last night and today, Got the drive back on, motor mounts in and picked up engine at builders shop, 2500 $ into the engine including maching and parts. Starting mocking up engine this afternoon.
Heres a few more pics. :)
Bret.

ps. looks a little pink in picture. Not.

Pismo
07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
What drive are you going with?

LKSD
07-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Brett.. Looking good!! :) Jamie / Lakeside

FOSTER
07-13-2006, 07:03 AM
my old alpha SS... :eek!:
be easy on the ole girl Foster... :)

For awhile maybe, can't gaurantee i'll last much longer than that.
If it dosent hold up. I got other ideas.

FOSTER
07-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Hope I don't have to take you up on that. I would like to find out what she will do. Hope I don't find out what she won't do. :wink: :)

FOSTER
07-13-2006, 05:52 PM
I just can't help myself, I go to meetings once a month and they don't help, I'm a truck driver and I like shiney things. There I said it and its out in the open now. Heres a couple that I really think i'm going to like.
Well my weekend is over and its back to work at 2:00 am so I got to quit working on the donzi and a welding project that just will not go away and get a little sleep, later.
Bret.

LKSD
07-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Youre not wasting any time by the looks of the pics... :) Jamie / Lakeside

FOSTER
07-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Youre not wasting any time by the looks of the pics... :) Jamie / Lakeside

Thanks Jamie, this seems to be the easy part. I have a few hurdels to get over later on :boggled: Seems like its been years since I last saw the water. I think I see a puddle forming on the horizon.
Bret.

Pismo
07-14-2006, 05:51 AM
To help save the drive, go low pitch, low cup prop and let it rev. Like an old style Mirage a pitch lower instead of a Mirage Plus. Looking good, nice steering.

LKSD
07-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks Jamie, this seems to be the easy part. I have a few hurdels to get over later on :boggled: Seems like its been years since I last saw the water. I think I see a puddle forming on the horizon.
Bret.

Cool. I cant wait to see the pics of the finished progect :) jamie / Lakeside

FOSTER
08-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Well i'm still pluging along here, seem's like one step forward and two back latley. I would have thought that when you order a pully kit for the motor they would line up with each other. Wrong. Work and other obligations cought up with me so progress on the Donzi slowed down to a crawl, Steering is mostly in and motor is close to ready to set in just waiting for a few more parts and a set of valve cover extensions to come back from powder coat. Valve covers don't fit over roller rockers.:bonk: Heres a couple more pics.
Bret.