PDA

View Full Version : I finally broke my TOY ... :(

Lenny
07-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Not Deneen, but the floating one... :(

52 miles into it this afternoon, a couple of Pubs, lunch etc, running at 4000 rpms and 53 GPS it felt like I ran out of gas suddenly, then all I heard was BANG BANG BANG, like you were hitting the block with a 5 pound sledge hammer. Judging by the frequency and the volume of this "sound", I'd say I broke a rod, split a piston, something VERY bad. :( It just came apart while cruising. I got a year more out of the little mouse than I thought mind you so I am not surprised. She was a great little motor and took us many hundreds, and hundreds of miles. And I beat the $hit out of it at every chance, so no hard feeelings. Just sad that I "Ka-Boomed" it.

Best part, was today we were about 50 miles from where we launched, but broke down in the general vicinity of my Dads Summer place on a small Island, and he towed us to his mooring bouy, and then gave us his keys to his car, took us to the "larger Island" where we drove his car to our place so that tomorrow morning I can go get my truck and trailer from where we launched, drive 40 miles, and then go back to the little Island, get my boat, tow it across to the ramp, pick it up and bring it home... :( :( :(

NOW it is time for the transom rebuild, 40 gallon fuel tank, 434 stroker and 17 1/2" X dimension and the BH mounted on a BRAVO (tilt/trim :D ) transom assembly. :D

Back to work on Monday anyway, so it is not all bad. It had to happen. Just a little more "Dramatic" than I thought it would be.

Restoration time has approached :)

ChromeGorilla
07-08-2006, 08:53 PM
See..... in every bad there is a little good... in this case alot of good..... now get startd on the project......:yes: Glad to hear you weren't stranded in the middle of nowhere.....

Rootsy
07-08-2006, 09:26 PM
ouch...... hate it when that happens... but, have fun "improving" things... :)

goatee
07-09-2006, 12:18 AM
lenny,, it sounds like you heard a big "BANG BANG" then a "yesssss",,,"now i can mess with it"...........:crossfing

goatee
07-09-2006, 12:19 AM
p.s. sammy and "the kid" ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JUST GOT BACK, GREAT SHOW!:propeller

yeller
07-09-2006, 02:54 AM
Lenny...that hurts. Summers just started here. Pick up a used motor out of the Buy&Sell for a few hundred bucks and bolt it in. Start the project in the winter.

Sam
07-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Pop ! Bang ! Boom ! Sorry to hear about your trouble, I've been ther before so I feel your pain. Now the fun begins with the new and improved boat to come :wink: .

Sam

gcarter
07-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Enjoy!!!!!:) (The rebuild, that is.....)

MOP
07-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Bummer! Hope it comes together quickly, there is a lot of summer left.

Phil

hardcrab
07-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Lenny,
have you been following Arips oil change policy?
:toiletpap :crossfing :pimp:

BUIZILLA
07-09-2006, 08:00 AM
why take the WHOLE boat apart, just cause of a little chitty-chitty bang-bang noise?? :bonk: :bonk:

finish your OTHER 18 project first, before dissecting this deal dude... :wink:

olredalert
07-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Lenny,,,,,,,As I well know, it happens to all of us. Imagine, if you can, popping the brand new Scorpion in only three hours. At least you have had many, many hours of enjoyment before bad noises............Bill S

mphatc
07-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Lenny,

Sorry this happened at the beginning of summer!

I'd insert a used engine for the rest of the season, collect all your parts and do it in the winter . . .

Easily said, seems that Bill's luck has been like mine . . Just this past w/e I completed the 5 hour break in period on my new 302 . . the 3rd try !!!

Mario

McGary911
07-09-2006, 09:36 PM
3 words. FIVE - OH - TWO. :bonk:

Lenny
07-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Got her home tonight. Towed from my dads' cottage to shore, a ramp, a trailer, yadda yadda yadda... No point in "flushing it" as it would probably explode anyway.

Will pull the motor this week ( a friend will) and first the heads to see any obvious and then the pan.

5-ohhh-2

...and I always wanted to name it,... Fastaz-Yajuana

This won't come back as a 350 and <300 horse, put money on that. :D

496 MAG HO and BRAVO has cossed my mind MANY times and I like a weighted transom for landings :)

Formula Jr
07-10-2006, 04:20 AM
Was going to suggest it might be a simple fix, but then I thought, "I've never been in an 18 with a 496." ......Humm..... "Lenny would make one."

You're correct Lenny, that old 350 engine is just toast and not worth looking at. :)

Digger
07-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Lenny sorry to hear of your misfortune... hope you are up and running again soon!

BUIZILLA
07-10-2006, 08:57 AM
are you SURE it's the engine?

ITTLFLI
07-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Lenny,

Sorry for the engine. I agree with the big cube motors!! Let me know if you need any good high perf parts!

Byron