PDA

View Full Version : 22 Tabs Replacement

Zinger
07-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Hello All, I need to replace a set of trim master tabs on a 22 classic ,they are the standard set of tabs donzi put on in 97. My question is to try to stop some of the porpoising at lower cruisen speeds and will tabs or k-planes help my ride . The boat rides awesome at WOT but I hate the ride at lower speeds and don't want to cruise at WOT you can play with the drive trim to make it better and worst:boat: but it's not the problem why this boat porpoises at lower speeds. Any sugestions would be helpful. Thanks Jeff

Tony
07-08-2006, 10:06 AM
What prop are you using? A lot of porpoising can be due to that. Do a search because there are a ton of opinions about the best prop for a 22'. I am real glad I've got the Volvo DPX on my 22', that pretty much eliminates prop experimenting for me! Did your tabs fail you or are you just trying something different? Most say that K-planes are too musch tab for a 22'.

I've got Trim Master's also, and I read in the manual that they are not to be used for speeds over 60 mph! I hate to say it, but my boat is stock and it goes a fair amount faster than 60...so I was wondering if yours broke, or if you feel they are inadequate.

:beer:

Zinger
07-08-2006, 10:34 AM
I have a 23 turbo 3 blade I got from Madpoodle which is much better than the mirage plus I was running . The water is very slopppy only a few times is it flat calm . The pump leaks and the tabs are not straight. I got a chance to get a set of 280's but one of them needs to be welded. not sure if thats the right way to go . trying different props is costly and not much available around here.

Sofa King
07-08-2006, 10:44 AM
I have Trim masters to. I only had a few power boats in my day but these are the WORST tabs I ever had, even Bennett are much better. It takes about 12-15 seconds to full extend. Is my pump bad or low on fluid? I noticed some yellowish liquid on my transom like the hydrolic fluid is leaking. If I go to a two ram (piston) system will that work faster. I want something that will fully extend within 6 seconds.

TY
Arip

glashole
07-08-2006, 10:48 AM
I have 280 k-planes on my 22 and they work great :)

you do have to adjust them slowly or you go into severe angles in a hurry

MOP
07-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Jeff I am running 12X12 Bennets and am super pleased, I think 280's are way over kill on a straight keel 22 but very nessesary on the BH hull with the rocker. I have 4 blade Turbo Ultima no porpoise at any speed.

Phil

mrfixxall
07-08-2006, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Zinger]Hello All, I need to replace a set of trim master tabs on a 22 classic ,they are the standard set of tabs donzi put on in 97. My question is to try to stop some of the porpoising at lower cruisen speeds and will tabs or k-planes help my ride . The boat rides awesome at WOT but I hate the ride at lower speeds and don't want to cruise at WOT you can play with the drive trim to make it better and worst:boat: but it's not the problem why this boat porpoises at lower speeds. Any sugestions would be helpful. Thanks Jeff[/QUOT

I use trim master on mine also and i like them,not a lick of problems EVER!!!!
I think that k-planes are a bit overkill for your 22..trim master are made of ss and hinged vs bennett have a z channel which sometimes fall apart...If you get the dual ram set up you can run above 60 with them down like i do all the time and never had a problem with them braking...eddie marine has them for around 450.00 their the sport tabbs

Tony
07-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Buy the Bennett Super Sport tabs for $500 right now at West Marine, and they will throw in a tab indicator for free.

CHACHI
07-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I have Trim masters to. I only had a few power boats in my day but these are the WORST tabs I ever had, even Bennett are much better. It takes about 12-15 seconds to full extend. Is my pump bad or low on fluid? I noticed some yellowish liquid on my transom like the hydrolic fluid is leaking. If I go to a two ram (piston) system will that work faster. I want something that will fully extend within 6 seconds.
TY
AripA two ram system will work half as fast. Same pump to supply twice the volume. If you want your tabs to work faster, hook the pump to 24 volts. Won't last as long but the tabs will move faster. Ken