PDA

View Full Version : What a ride!!!

Tony
07-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Hanging out at the Smoke On The Water Poker Run, in Grand haven, MI, we lucked into a ride on a 36' Skater! It was probably a combination of good looks (my wife's) and the AOTH VI t-shirts Jeff Dykema (tamburello) and I were sporting, or maybe we had a make-a wish look on our faces. More accurately, I guess, it is not what you know but who you know!

Anyway, the Skater had twin Sterling 1075 blower motors, with 10 lbs. of boost...not to mention the awesome graphic on the foredeck! The owner's name was Kevin and he hails from Indianapolis, his girlfriend was Nicki...both outstandingly nice people.

He had the engines gone through last winter so he was kind of taking it easy...but we still managed to hit 133 mph! holy crap, Batman, that is some kind of feeling! We turned south out of Grand Haven and were at Port Sheldon in about ten minutes! He says that the boat will likely top out somewhere between 150 and 160 mph, similar to what he had experienced before the engine work.

Our faces felt and must have looked like the astronauts in training with that g-force machine. My wife and I were in the middle of the back seat and the air flow coming between the two front canopies was unbelievable! After spending some time between 100 and 133 mph, he pulls the throttles back and everybody kind of relaxes, thinking, "boy this is way slower than what we just did"...and I look at the gps and it says we are doing 90 mph...and that felt calm compared to what we were just doing!

Needless to say, the three of us were pretty excited about this experience. It kind of makes up for me having to miss the White Lake gang on Saturday, and Jeff was fired up to tell the story to the crew at the gathering.

boldts
07-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Chance of a life time Tony. Very very coooool. Especially the pulling back the throttles to a cruise speed and your STILL doing 90mph. Would have liked to come up, but I'm at work all weekend and can't use the vacation due to other commitments later this summer. Glad you all had a good time.

Ranman
07-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Caught this story earlier today from Jeff. What a blast! Reminds me of when Connie let Jenn and I each drive her 25 Eliminator at AOTH. We both broke 100mph behind the wheel and Connie had us well over 100mph.:eek: :eek: Awesome feeling!

Too bad we missed you today. You didn't miss a ton though. LAke Michigan was roug and only a few SOTW boats came into White Lake (>15).

tamburello
07-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Tony's not just a well liked and respected guy in the Donzi circle, he's well liked in the poker run crowd too. Thanks Tony for hooking me up with the ride on the Skater and keeping me secured in my seat while skipping across the waves! That was a thrill! My Donzi is was the fastest I'd ever been on water before that ride. Nothing like more that doubling my fastest speed on water.

It's a completely different feel riding in a cat and the force of the wind at triple digit speeds is insane.:eek!: You definitely feel more lateral G's when you turn and it's an interesting feeling when it gets crankin'. Those Sterlings can pin you back in the seat when he gets on the throttles.

Boating is a blast, but the highlight is the people that you meet and the friends that you make along the way. It was great to see Tony and Cherrie again and spend the afternoon with them. Kevin and Nicki are two great people that are the exact opposite of the elitist egos that are sometimes associated with the Poker Run crowd. It was great to meet them and we had a good time talking to them after our 133 mph run. What a day!

- Jeff

ITTLFLI
07-09-2006, 04:57 PM
That is GREAT! Congrats on the ride! :)

Sofa King
07-09-2006, 05:29 PM
:wink: Like I said before my next boat will be a Skater.

Iffin your gonna step STEP. Life's too short.
Arip