PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about your Non-performance Boats

EricG
07-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Tying in to the conversation about "classic" boating, I'd like to hear what other boats members have that aren't in the go-fast arena, and how you use them? I believe several of you have center consoles, ski boats, and cruisers of some sort (not to mention infamous 'swirl owned by a PNW member :wink: ). How often do you use them, and how does that use differ from the performance boating you do?

Just curious :boat:

EG

KerrLake
07-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I have an 85 mastercraft which I have had for 10 years and love dearly. I am in the process of buying a z-25. After it is all fixed up, (and if I'm not bankrupt) I hope I'll feel the same love for the Donzi. I used to do alot of barefooting, not as much now. Either I don't drink as much beer or it hurts more than it used to!

Brian

dr
07-07-2006, 02:54 PM
A have an old sailboat called a Zep…..nothing special to look at or sail but its special to me because of how I came to own it…it was given to me a friend and former employee of mine…a real character…the kind of guy who has an absolute burning passion for whatever he does…and he does a lot…musician, playing in the local symphony , avid sailor, …has an opinion on everything, the kind of guy who will stand up in a employee meeting when the new CEO blows into town for a meet and greet and ask all the questions everyone else wants to but doesn’t have the balls to, loves to ague or debate…..the smartest engineer I ever met but who’s proud to have graduated last in his class in High School of 500 seniors …20 years in the Navy….

Anyway years ago I was lamenting that I wish I had a sailboat to teach my daughter how to sail…..he said…you can have mine…and he was serious…the only admonition was that when I got rid of it I had to give it someone who would use it to teach others to sail. This boat was manufactured in Germany and Uncle Sam had moved it all over the world for him when he was in the Navy….although he never said much about it ( the only thing he said little about) he was a spook, mostly in Asia I believe.

Digger
07-07-2006, 03:31 PM
dr neat story... got any pics of the sailboat?

ChromeGorilla
07-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I have a pumpkin shaped gravy boat for thanksgiving ;) :p

LMAO Matty!

Carl C
07-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Never had one. Even my canoe has a 3.5 Nissan.

Cuda
07-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I just spent three days in SC with my fishboat. I love the versatility of it, ease of launching, ease of maintanence, and easy to clean up.

I did have an issue this week. The damn boat wouldn't idle for crap! I took it out two days before we went, and it wouldn't idle well, so I changed the plugs. Didn't help a bit! I knew that the only thing I had changed recently was the fuel/water separator. I drove around for over 100 miles yesterday, trying to locate another one. I couldn't find one and was almost back to the lake. We stopped at a 7/11 to get a drink, and Debbie spotted this boat shop down the road across the street. It was just after 5pm, but I saw a couple cars there, and went in. Told him what I needed. I also told him I had just changed the filter. He had one sitting on the shelf just like the one I had put on, I was pretty sure. He said those filters came with an inner and an outer gasket, and asked if mine had two. I couldn't really remember. He said there was a notice sent out that those filters were faulty, and would suck air, but if you pulled the outer gasket off, it would be fine. He said Walmart (where I bought the w/s) probably didn't get the notice, or didn't care. I didn't know for sure, so I bought a new one. Sure enough, when I pulled mine off, it had two gaskets. Put the new one on anyway. Idled much better today. :)

LKSD
07-08-2006, 07:28 AM
an old 12' Sea nymph... Some inherit millions I inherited a sea nymph.. I have owned it for over 2 years now but still havent used much latley.. Its mainly my little shop utility boat now. I used to use it a lot when my uncle owned it & we would go fishing. Obviously not a donzi but still a good little boat for its purpose.. Jamie :)

Formula Jr
07-08-2006, 02:45 PM
This may be a departure from the general theme of the post, but as far as pure utility and an all weather boat for the Puget Sound, C-Dory's fit very nicely. Just imagine all those 55 degree, slightly wet, fall and winter days and you could still go out in one of these and be comfortable.

http://www.c-dory.com/

Sam
07-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Now don't laugh but I love my 24" poontoon boat / 90 hp merc combo. It's so nice to just cruise around at 16 mph or throw the hook out and just chill. No gel coat to speak of , just vacum it and throw the cover on. My other favorite toy is a 10' dingy powered by a 3.3 Merc, great for gunking around. For serious fishing or running around I use 20' KeY West DC /150 Yamaha. This has proven to be one of the most veratile boats I have ever owned. No carpet ! just non skid in the cockpit so clean up it a breeze. The Yamaha is FANTASTIC...........end of story.

Donzigo
07-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Here are two of my other boats..................they are slow;but, they get me where I need to go.

Sagbay32
07-09-2006, 09:00 AM
I sort of inherited a 14' Sea nymph with a 1967-ish 20 horse Johnson from my Dad last weekend. I just wish I had a place to keep her by my home. We put her in at my Sister's beach house in Bay City in order to use her out there.
Dad and I used that boat every Summer weekend for 20 years perch fishing on Saginaw Bay. We turned it into a duck blind in the early 90's with a tubular frame and "Fast Grass". We use her as a blind for 2 years until I moved down state. Dad had the engine gone thru at that time and she still ran great.
It had been asleep for the last 10 years until Dad got it out last weekend. We fired her up after about 100 pulls on the cord (wow did my arm feel funny the next day) and away we went. I took the kids for a couple rides and they had a blast. It sure took me back to when I thought 20mph in a little chop was screamin' fast.
It got me thinking the past week about all the good times we had in her and all the great fishing stories I had amassed from the countless times out on the Bay with my Dad. I hope to be able to continue the tradition with my kids as well. I just wish we lived closer.
I'll have to work on some pics.
Michael

roadtrip se
07-09-2006, 05:39 PM
We used to live on Eagle Mountain Lake in Fort Worth and in summer I would load up our first boat, a four man rubber raft. Just load up the cooler, a couple of oars, Jill, and launch the old Sevylor. It had a place to mount a small outboard, but I think any weight would have sunk the whole shooting match.

Of course the cruisers got a little testy, when I would tie off on one of their bouys, but c'mon everybody needs a break from rowing once in awhile. I used to act like I didn't see them coming, until they used their PA slash squawk boxes to ask me to get off of their bouy in a more aggressive manner. That boat was so good on gas, but the more beer I drank the slower it went.

And once in awhile the thing would start losing air for whatever reason in the hot sun and start sinking around you, which was real interesting when you had managed to row a mile from home.

I think FarmerTex still has this beauty in his barn loft, as I gave it to him for safe keeping when we moved to Michigan.

I sure do miss that boat.

dr
07-10-2006, 10:22 AM
dr neat story... got any pics of the sailboat?
Sorry, no pic but it’s a very simple wood boat, sloop rig with small dry storage area….14’ I think…are you by chance familiar with the Zep?

maddad
07-10-2006, 05:32 PM
My 72 18' is my new and big boat. Between it and my 68 16.5 Boston Whaler, I feel I have all the boats I need for my little corner of the planet. Well, at least until I find just the right 28' Bertram/Black Fin.

Doug L.
07-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Well lets see!

96 Mastercraft Prostar 190
24 ft Harris pontoon 35hp Merc
16 ft Starcraft 6hp Mariner
Two, 98 Sea Doo xp limiteds 130hp
78 Yamaha Wave Jammer
650 Kawasaki sx
Sunfish sailboat:boat:
Paddle boat (Yellow)
20 ft Alum. Canoe.
Kaw leaks abit but everything can be used.

I am forbiden to bring home anything that floats:bonk:
so I am going go kart racing:wink:

Doug

Patti
07-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I've seen the go kart!

Very cool little car!

Hope Robbie did well this weekend ;)

Digger
07-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Dr, I'm not familiar with the Zep... just my insatiable curiousity with anything that floats prompted me to ask :)

RickyR
07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I've got it pretty good, I guess.
My non-performance boat is a Donzi center console ( it is mostly a red headed step child around this forum), but we enjoy it for it's all around useable abilities.
Not the fastest, but it takes the rough water pretty good, and has ample storage. The CC's are easy to clean, and have a clutter free appearance.
Also, anchoring on the beach, or in the ocean is easy (no slippery long bows to track across).
Now, don't get me wrong performance folks, I'd like to have a go-fast, but it just doesn't fit into the uses for my boating needs at present.
Sure, I'd like to cruise in the 60's too, but 35+ is ok with me for now...
Sailboats.... NEVER..........:shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Ricky...seeya...

apollo24
07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
OK, I ALSO own a couple sailboats. The one I will mention is a Catalina 30. It's a production boat, spit out in the mid 80's just like everything else, and basically serves as a floating condo. It sails well for a 30 ft. pig, and is pretty easy to singlehand.
I have had several go-fast sailboats and such but this boat has a fridge, ac, hot water, autopilot (sometimes), room for 3 close couples to sleep, and an inboard diesel. A lot of my friends laugh about it, and call me a classy redneck since I possess both sailboats and go-fasts. I enjoy it, too. I find many sailboaters quite strange, but I always respect anyone who enjoys being on the water, unless they're on a PWC.
I will be honest, though- we took it on a 7 hour diesel from Mobile down to our little marina in Perdido/Orange Beach, averaging 6 kts and we only burned 3 gallons TOTAL a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe it. (OK, my girlfriend was redder than a tomato and her brother, who thought we were taking the Donzi when he showed up, was most pissed and will never sail again:wink: )
Anyway, we do like our sailboat!
It's kind of funny- a lot of people in Jackson, MS see a Donzi and think Miami Vice/gold chains/muscleshirts/ceramic lions in front of the house- type of people. I have to blare Mozart and Wagner at the boat ramp to change that- one mullet hairdo at a time!

Digger
07-12-2006, 11:37 AM
but I always respect anyone who enjoys being on the water,
your kung fu is good grasshopper

Kirbyvv
07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Non-performance boats?
18' Celebrity w/ 4.3L, Alpha (suprisingly this is a 55 mph family boat)
15' proline w/ 50 hp Merc (relatively slow and safe for kids, dogs and fishing)
16' Old Town Canoe
2 perception Kayaks

Forrest
07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
22' pontoon with a 48 John'rude. Tops out at 20 mph (GPS) on a good day with a light chop and some tail wind!