PDA

View Full Version : Split tub from deck

Hutchs1
07-07-2006, 03:07 AM
Hello to all,

I would like to request advice as to how to fix my split 18 2+3 classic.

Seems I got too much air. It happened as follows: I hit a cruiser wake at about 30 degrees (rather than perpendicular) so the boat rolled in the air to a 45 degree angle sideways, with driver side ( LH steering) down. As I hit water again, there was a big bang. The rear and port side hit water first...with one loud bang.

The results were the boat split apart, tub from deck, along the side from the drivers seat to the stern, and around the corner about 12 inches. The Alu rub rail popped off about 10 feet of running length, and stayed with the tub.

The screws every 4 inches ripped out, leaving holes and tears in the frp glass. I was wondering if anyone can advise as to the repair technique for this restoration now needed?

I know this sounds hard to visualize, I can email pics to anyone with the knowledge.

after all, Knowledge is power.

happy boating, Hutch

gcarter
07-07-2006, 05:29 AM
The general idea is to hold things together in the proper location while the repair is made. You pretty much need access to both sides of the parts.
I would remove the deck from the hull and start from there.
I would like to reccomend a book;
"The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual"
by Allan H. Vaitses
ISBN 0-87742-228-1
International Marine Publishing
P.O. Box 220
Camden Me 04843

Lenny
07-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Hutchs1, the fix through separating the two halves is the only way to go and as stated by Poodle, replace the Gas Tank with something from RDS while you are in there. :yes: The railing and stuff is no big deal to find through TACO Metals. Great time to freshen things up and most probably, either fix or reinforce the stringers.

So tell me, is that a '67 Barrelback 18 you have?

Hutchs1
07-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Thank you, and all the other Donzi boyzzz for their input to this problem of split tub/deck... Yes those sideays landings are a little rough on equipment.

This is a 18 2+3 barrelback design. S/N of hull DKZ 25909.

I have posted a pic of the damage for anyone to see.

many thanks, Hutch

AGUESS
07-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Hutch,
A few other things to keep in mind.
1. When I seperated the deck from the hull on my 66 Classic 18, I found it attached in the following places.
The ski locker is attached at the front of the nose, cut the glass cloth (I used a grinder)
Just as you climb under the front foot wells, I found a band of glass mat that is attached to the deck, runs down to the V in the hull and alot of Resin was poured ontop. Very solid bond, had to use a big chisel to break up. This was on both sides.
In the engine compartment, just under the rear seat (on both sides) was another glass strap. Cut with grinder.
2. Very important. I can not say this again. The deck fits the Hull like a top on a box. Very snug. Do all fiberglass repair to the outside edge of the top and to the inside edge of the hull. Not the outside edge of the hull and inside edge of the top, or your top(deck) will not fit back on.
3. The deck is heavy to lift off, so I made a couple of jigs. The first one looks like the letter A, (2 x 4's) and it slides into the opening where the footwell is. You have to remove the gas tank filler hose and lift rings (of course). Then in the center of the A, I put a eye screw that would poke through the opening in the deck for the gas tank cap. I then attached a lift cable to the eye ring. On the back, I removed the vent covers behind the rear seat and took 2 x 4 and did the same thing. Then when I lifted the deck, it came up even and level and did not have alot of stress on it.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your repairs.
Alex.

Morgan's Cloud
07-11-2006, 01:23 PM
As this is a 'family' oriented site all I can say is .. that must have been one helluva whack Hutch.
Did you see stars ? I had a hard landing in my Dad's old boat once (years ago) . It almost knocked me out , but did'nt do anything like that fortunately. I would really have been in trouble then ! He never really noticed the 2 cracks that resulted.
Like the others have suggested , you may as well take advantage of the deck being off and cover everything.. does'nt make sense going back in a year or two from now .