PDA

View Full Version : fueling up my 22zx

22billyzx
07-06-2006, 07:46 PM
i purchased a 99 22zx this spring,and it takes FOREVER to get fuel in it. It seems to be vented right,except that the vent tube is inside the fuel cap. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

synack
07-06-2006, 07:54 PM
the 22ZX has a 62 gallon tank, so it will take a bit of time to fill up. Does the fuel get backed up in the filler tube?

22billyzx
07-06-2006, 08:39 PM
i thought mine held 52 gal....but yes the fuel backs up in the filler tube

Uncle Fester
07-06-2006, 09:12 PM
My '99 does the same....just deal with it.....I have. I know....sucks to have to baby it at half throttle, but better than walking away to go inside and get a fresh case of beer and coming out to find about $5 of gas burped out and running down the side of the boat and on the ground.

In all seriousness, I think I know how much it will take and give her the full flow until I get within about 5-7 gallons and then slow down. Or I'll stop the pump every once in a while and listen to the gurgle to see if I'm getting close. Never fails though....I'll be out there with a roll of shop towells and a bottle of windex wiping off a couple of bucks of "liquid gold" most every time.

22zxla
07-06-2006, 09:42 PM
I thought mine held 50 and i top it off before every use so it dosent feel to long to fill for me.

22billyzx
07-06-2006, 09:52 PM
I would like to find a solution to this someday...but haven`t figured out if the problem is the filler tube (maybe a kink in it) or the vent. I considered changing the vent to the outside like alot of other boats. Minor details....let`s go boating!

oldandtired
07-23-2006, 10:36 PM
I have only had it happen once. I am pretty sure that the vent is in the fill port and I managed to get gas in the vent. Every other time, it has filled up at full speed on the pump.

Rene

Schnook
07-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Kind of off topic, but a few weeks ago we went out and I forgot to check fuel level before launching. Had to gas up at dock. Won't make that mistake again. :(

Last Tango
07-24-2006, 08:17 AM
My tank ('06 22ZX) has a 52 gallon tank. Fills fine until the last few gallons. Then things start to get sloppy. I don't normally require a fill to the tippy-top for most boating adventures, so I just end it there. No reason to stream it down the sides of the boat while towing to the ramp.
And I am very thankfull that my 350 Mag MPI only requires 87 Octane. These $150 fill-ups are ugly.
Anyone else with a 22ZX with 350 Mag MPI? I'd be interested in your experience for best fuel mileage RPM when cruising.
My dealer suggested 4200 RPM which puts me right at 50 MPH indicated on the speedo (no GPS confirmation yet on the accurracy of the speedo, yet - coming soon).
I also experienced slow fueling on my C18 from time to time. I think the valve would get stuck partially closed and only allow so much air to escape. It would spit a lot throught the breather nozzle and click off after just a few seconds. After a while, the spitting seemed to lubricate the valve and and then it would operate normally, full fuel delivery, until the fuel poured out onto the deck.

BUIZILLA
07-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Mark, 4200 seems awful high to me.......

if it was ME, I would shoot for 3200-3400.......

JH