PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Donzi Regazza

SilverBack
07-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Hello,

After some advice from you guys....I bought the 88 model Donzi Regazza. It has a 350 Chevy an Alfa out drive and the "quick or quiet" exhaust. I bought this thing off of eBay and I am going to St. Pete, FL to pick it up. The boat has 120 hours on it. How fast should this thing go?? I really don't know what to expect. The guy that I am getting it from said that he had a reman engine put in the boat last year as well as going through and rebuilding the out drive. I asked him what the boat needed and he said trim tabs. Do you think this is a good idea? He says that he pulls 3 skiers with it but it is a little slow taking off but runs really good after planeing out. He says the trim tabs would fix this. Do you think a smaller pitched prop might work as well? I live on a 13 mile long lake and top speed is not as important as getting on plane quicker.

I have a stroker small block but was told I would have to change the whole out drive if I increased the HP to the 450 range. Would I even want to put this much power in a boat like this??

Thanks for the help!!! This is a great website!!

onesubdrvr
07-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Hello,
After some advice from you guys....I bought the 88 model Donzi Regazza. It has a 350 Chevy an Alfa out drive and the "quick or quiet" exhaust. I bought this thing off of eBay and I am going to St. Pete, FL to pick it up. The boat has 120 hours on it. How fast should this thing go?? I really don't know what to expect. The guy that I am getting it from said that he had a reman engine put in the boat last year as well as going through and rebuilding the out drive. I asked him what the boat needed and he said trim tabs. Do you think this is a good idea? He says that he pulls 3 skiers with it but it is a little slow taking off but runs really good after planeing out. He says the trim tabs would fix this. Do you think a smaller pitched prop might work as well? I live on a 13 mile long lake and top speed is not as important as getting on plane quicker.
I have a stroker small block but was told I would have to change the whole out drive if I increased the HP to the 450 range. Would I even want to put this much power in a boat like this??
Thanks for the help!!! This is a great website!!
IF the boat is original, it's going to have an OMC Cobra, what color is the boat? Is it a Bow Rider, or a Cuddy Cabin?

A 21 with the standard 260hp V8 will do low 50's, mine with 365 did 61 (gps, with a tail wind I imagine, but 61 none the less)

What size was it again? a 17, 19, 21, 23 or 25?

Don't change the engine if you're just going to ski, change the prop to a 4 blade - I tried a Bravo I (22p) with my 21 Ragazza, and it was out of the hole like a rocket compared to the Turbo I (22p 3 blade), but the Turbo 1 was better on top end, both handled OK. Or, change the pitch down a little, but then you are going to have to watch RPM's. Propably (if remaned engine, no rev limiter)

Didn't have trim tabs on mine, but wasn't overly concerned about planing, just top end. Mine didn't need 'em at all, just trimmed the drive.

450HP, I would change the drive, I was pushing 365hp, and I wouldn't have gone much more than that in mine without changing the drive.

I'm not one to tell people what to do, as I don't listen,...............but

Enjoy the boat how it is, don't put in the 450hp motor, just change the prop and have fun, want to go FAST!? put that engine in a classic, and keep the Regazza as it is.

From the area of experience in this exact matter,
Wayne

SilverBack
07-06-2006, 03:13 PM
The boat I bought is a 23' cabin. I think the guy said it has a 23p 3 blade prop. It definitely has a mercruiser and it is supposed to be what the boat came with new. How low would you go on the pitch and would you go with the 5 blade prop since it is mercury?? By the way the boat is yellow and white and it is in St. Pete, FL. Do you think you know of the boat? It is always a little scary buying a boat on ebay. I spent more fixing my Donzi jet boat up than I did buying it. Thanks!!!!

onesubdrvr
07-06-2006, 03:25 PM
The boat I bought is a 23' cabin. I think the guy said it has a 23p 3 blade prop. It definitely has a mercruiser and it is supposed to be what the boat came with new. How low would you go on the pitch and would you go with the 5 blade prop since it is mercury?? Thanks

Cool, from the work done, it sounded alot like my old one, that's why I asked, but mine was a 21' Bow Rider.

a 23" 3 blade, if that's what it's got, try a 21. That seems like alot of prop for that boat, unless he's got a worked engine or a 1:65:1 or lower drive ratio. Props, as has been stated many times, are kind of black magic, you've just got to borrow some until you find one you like.

Probably a 1.65 (alpha equivalent ratio) ratio, also you didn't say, but Small Block, right?

Try the 21" pitch, and a 4 blade, then go from there - just my advice. I think you'll be happier over all with a 4 blade for planing speed.

REALLY surprised about the Alpha drive, maybe someone will chime in here, I could have sworn that (as Donzi was owned by OMC in 88) that they all had OMC drives, but maybe I'm wrong.

Wayne

SilverBack
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Wayne,
I read somewhere on the web that OMC bought Donzi in somewhere around 87-88 and they went ahead and filled the orders that had mercury equipment with mercury. I have no idea if that is true but I do know that this boat has mercury.
Thanks again,
Keith

mikev
07-06-2006, 04:06 PM
mine is an 88 and it has mercury that came from the factory mines a 19 with the v6 going to do the v8 swap one of these days when i get the money. i love mine great family boat solid as a rock.

65NovaSS
07-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I know this has no relevence, but I ALMOST bough that same boat. But I decided to get the 1990 GT-230 that was on Ebay at the same time. I go pick mine up Saturday morning

onesubdrvr
07-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Keith,

I believed you, I just didn't expect it I guess.

With the Alpha, be careful, that's a pretty big boat, I'd say 350hp is the max with that set-up, and even then, easy on / off the throttle, and no wake jumping :eek!:

Best of luck with it, let us know where you end up prop wise

PS, Good looking boat, I wonder if the quick n quiet was factory too? When I did my through hulls, I went out the side as I didn't care for the idea of having them above the swim platform, figured that someone might get hurt (sharp edges, or slippery deck or something). Carl was good enough to share some scans of the 1988 Donzi sales brochure. but it doesn't say anything about the exaust, or engine options.

Keep us posted!
Wayne

mattmtgman
07-10-2006, 06:06 PM
I am also the proud new owner of a 1988 Regazza. It is an open bow with a V6 OMC Cobra. This is my first boat, why not start with a Donzi? Any advice from anyone on just about anything???

Thanks

Matt

mikev
07-11-2006, 12:03 PM
I am also the proud new owner of a 1988 Regazza. It is an open bow with a V6 OMC Cobra. This is my first boat, why not start with a Donzi? Any advice from anyone on just about anything???
Thanks
Matt

If its a 2 barrel carb your best bang for the buck would be the edelborck intake and 4 barrel carb setup i put it on mine several years back and got a few more miles per hour and alot better holeshot.

Donzigo
07-12-2006, 07:26 PM
OMC bought the company around the beginning of 1989, The Regazzas had prviously had OMC equipment in them, for the most part. They had a fair amount of Mercury packages left over and so they decided to put them in the last Donzis out the door.

OMC decided to swap plants with their Chris Craft plant on Whitfield Drive, where the existing Donzi plant is. The existing Chris Craft plant is still at the same place too. They had quite a turn over in people at the new Chris Craft, previous Donzi plant, as well. My Z-33 came out the doors during that same time frame. So, I figure that the Donzi plant had Chris Craft employees, building Donzis, with Mercury Engines, in a plant owned by OMC. The world is interesting and never as it really seems.

Hmmmmmmm; so, would that make our Donzis the very rare and collectable: "DONZI-CRAFTs powered by the world famous OMC MER-COBRA drives" ?????????????

onesubdrvr
05-05-2008, 08:27 PM
OMC bought the company around the beginning of 1989, The Regazzas had prviously had OMC equipment in them, for the most part. They had a fair amount of Mercury packages left over and so they decided to put them in the last Donzis out the door.

OMC decided to swap plants with their Chris Craft plant on Whitfield Drive, where the existing Donzi plant is. The existing Chris Craft plant is still at the same place too. They had quite a turn over in people at the new Chris Craft, previous Donzi plant, as well. My Z-33 came out the doors during that same time frame. So, I figure that the Donzi plant had Chris Craft employees, building Donzis, with Mercury Engines, in a plant owned by OMC. The world is interesting and never as it really seems.

Hmmmmmmm; so, would that make our Donzis the very rare and collectable: "DONZI-CRAFTs powered by the world famous OMC MER-COBRA drives" ?????????????
Donzigo,

Hate to bring up a thread from this far in the past, but I have been gone for a while ;) anyway, interesting information, and now I regret getting rid of my DonziCraft OMC Mer-Cobra powered Ragazza :wink:

Wayne