PDA

View Full Version : broken outdrive?

smokediver
07-05-2006, 03:53 AM
I was running down the intercoastal yesterday and all of a sudden i heard a clunk noise , grinding and i came off plane . my boat wouldn't shift into gear and there was no water coming out of the exhaust ... any hints and what might have happened ? i replaced the upper part of my outdrive last year but the lower is 8 years old alpha gen2 .

Mr X
07-05-2006, 05:57 AM
John,
sounds like the vertical shaft in the lower might have let go. :(

gcarter
07-05-2006, 06:11 AM
John, this may be one of those cases where one of those aftermarket Alpha replacements might be the answer. They're headquartered in Clearwater (I think) and you can just pick one up. About $600.00.

Mr X
07-05-2006, 06:20 AM
John, this may be one of those cases where one of those aftermarket Alpha replacements might be the answer. They're headquartered in Clearwater (I think) and you can just pick one up. About $600.00.
John, check with CrackerJack and Speed Racer before you buy one of those!
They went thru 3 of them in less than 10 days!! :eek!:

gcarter
07-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Wow!
I'm glad I didn't have that problem!.
No problems with mine.
I did know they had an oil tube/quad ring alignment problem. But as I understood it, there was no mechanical problem. I could fix the alignment problem pretty easy.

smokediver
07-05-2006, 06:26 AM
thanks for the advise . there is a place in fort myers where i bought my upper and they sell lowers as well . genuine merc. parts and they sell for around 800 for an upper and about the same for the lower . i am hoping that the gears are ok ... guess i'll find out soon enough !

MOP
07-05-2006, 08:32 AM
I have done in a couple of uppers and only one vertical the uppers are noisy the vertical made kind of a dull thud no grinding, have a hunch the upper let go on yours.

Phil

Speed-Racer
07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
John(Smokediver), go with the place you know and trust especially when it comes to the outdrive. The price you are getting on an upper isn't much more than an SE drive, but you know it will work!

(George)Gcarter, you could not fix the quad-ring problem...

Mr X
07-06-2006, 07:33 PM
John(Smokediver), go with the place you know and trust especially when it comes to the outdrive. The price you are getting on an upper isn't much more than an SE drive, but you know it will work!
(George)Gcarter, you could not fix the quad-ring problem...

Agreed.... you could not have fixed it. Guess that's why the company that makes them does not fix them. There was a tooling issue with a run of them.