PDA

View Full Version : Need empty 22 engine room photo

harbormaster
07-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Any one have any photos of an empty 22 engine compartment?
I am especially interested in shots of the inner transom and stringers.:wink:

MOP
07-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Scot you got mail.

Phil

harbormaster
07-04-2006, 11:08 PM
No I don't. Where did you send it?

MOP
07-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Sent to you regular email AD.

Phil

Trueser
07-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Here you go.

Or you can see more here.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37432&highlight=fun+begin

RickR
07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Scot
Is this what you need???

Rootsy
07-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Don't encourage him guys....

ummm to do what??? :confused: :boggled: :bonk:

gold-n-rod
07-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Well, he works in a place with lots of fancy engines around all day..
Just breathin that new engine smell allll day while at his desk......

Hmm, kinda like a horndog working at a gyno clinic!!!:eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Team Jefe
07-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Dont do it.... :eek!: :eek!:

MadDog, unless you or some other interested party has $15K to drop...you should remain silent on this issue.

Team Jefe
07-07-2006, 09:17 AM
For those of you who may not understand what's happening. HM is considering purchasing the 22 O/B from me and converting it to a I/O.

The purchase has not happened, not has the conversion be set in stone, but Scot is evaluating the options. Poodle as you can see is against this move for historic, etc, reasons.

I will say this. I would not consider converting the boat, but anyone who wants this thing saved for some historic value needs to pipe up with the money or keep you peace. There damned sure was nobody worried about what happended to this boat when Woodsy had it for sale for over a year.

BUIZILLA
07-07-2006, 06:35 PM
i'm going to Atlanta next Wednesday, so get the boat to Tallahassee/Lake City next Friday morning, and it'll be in Miami Friday night.

My memory says that boat has a 32" setback bracket to clear the taller cowl of the V8 when tilted, most brackets are 26" setback.... do the CG math on that thought...

Get a hyd jackplate instead of the bracket, and tune it from there, it'll be fine. The BEST V8 Johnrude tuning guy in the south, is in Stuart, Fla...

JH

Mr X
07-07-2006, 06:41 PM
http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/lurk.gif

harbormaster
07-07-2006, 07:04 PM
I am buying this but boat BUT...

This is not like a 16 outboard that had a different deck. This was an inboard boat that was made an outboard as an afterthought. They added four gussets and a glassed a board over the two stringers. It was rigged with twin outboards provided by the new owner. What outboards? NO IDEA!

It has one outboard now. It has also been repainted and the dash redone. :eek!: :eek!: There goes the museum piece value.
It is still a beautiful 1983 donzi classic.

If I put an I/O in it big deal. It can always be taken back to an outboard boat.

As for the Dinosaur outboard, I will try to dial it in as best as possible. It has a 3 blade 25 pitch that blows out at 3000 rpms and does not let the boat plane. I will start with poodles advice. I have a 4 blade Bravo prop that I am putting an OMC flo-torque hub in.

If and when the outboard dies, I will be hard pressed to spend 15 grand for and outboard motor.

I have attached a photo. Notice what is sitting next to the boat. I have 2 complete 502/Bravo 1X drive trains. temtation. Temptation....

BUIZILLA
07-07-2006, 07:26 PM
HM, please email me pic's of the engine room, transom, bracket setup.. yada yada..

thanx

buick528@aol.com

ps - it originally had twin 200 Yammi's if my memory is correct..

Mr X
07-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Tightwad..
Where's the butter?? :D :D :D

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/dvv/popblood.gif

Mr X
07-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Red butter??
http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/16.gif

Sorry, it's all we had in the fridge....

EricG
07-07-2006, 09:31 PM
I just want to go on record that no matter what HM choses to do with this fine 22. - this has been one of the most entertaining threads in awhile...

BTW - am I the only one that thinks the answer is to rerig with 3 skyscraper merc 150's :yes: - it my not run worth a damn - but boy would it look cool.

EG

BUIZILLA
07-07-2006, 09:47 PM
300xs

Cuda
07-07-2006, 10:04 PM
I have the deck off my 22 at the Boat Hospital. I'm probably going by there tomorrow morning, so if there are any pics in particular you would like, let me know. Mine's an 82, so it should be very similar.

Btw, are you still doing the Scarab project?

Mr X
07-08-2006, 07:21 AM
If I had the cash, I'd own it....
And stomp your I'O luvin arses with it :) :)

Forget the 35ZR with 525's.......and buy the 22 O/B

Team Jefe
07-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Poodle for what its worth I agree with leaving it an O/B. But if the next owner wants to change it then that is his business.

to your points.
A. True this boat has bot been advertised, but when it was for OVER A YEAR...Woodsy go ZERO takers....NOBODY...Including all the Donzi History buffs, wanted this boat.

B. Set back was too much, but Woodsy had is cut from 30+ inches to 20 Inches. there is now just enough clearance to raise the motor into its travel cradle.

C. I have no idea how the bracket could be eliminated. Remember this is a regular 22C. it has to have some sort of bracket to mount the motor.

D. History or not, thre are very few Old boats out there that are oroginal. And if its hiostory nobody wants or cares about that what is the point.

E. The engine is mechanically sound, compressions, lower unit, everything has been checked by THE Evinrude Man for Texas. Still I agree that there is an amount of testing and setup that needs to be done to this boat. I don't have the time, inclination or patience to do that. Plus Renee is uncomfotable in the boat....a fact that neither of us knew before hand. No snese owning a boat she won't ride in.

I too have advised Scot to test props before giving up on the O/B. I even told him a newer lighter, Fuel injected Merc would be perfect. and Jim a 300XS would be the Shizel.

as far as anything else. I have invested as much as I am going to in this boat. I too thought it was only a proping issue and that is the main thing, but rerigging, a new motor, etc. is not in the cards. Were I Scot and truly interested in keeping this an outboard I would take you up on your offer...it is very generous and kind...Jim you too.

Also, I apologize for being so flippant to you Scott. It just seemed odd to me that nobody was interested in this piece of history until someone else was going to make a change to it. I realize this is a one of a kind boat...and I would keep it that way. I will say this as well, if someone did want to keep it an O/B and take on all the rerigging, etc. then step up and I'll see if Scot would be willing to forgo this boat to someone interested in saving the History.

scott snider
07-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Hope these pictures help this boat has a 2 inch higher x demension.
Scott

boxy
07-08-2006, 01:26 PM
FWIW.....
The boat originally had a single outboard, was sent to the factory to be re-rigged for twins, and then must have been re-converted back to a single at some point.

rustnrot
07-08-2006, 01:51 PM
....and Whatever You Do...Do not let me (or some other guys I know in central FL) near it....I would add a wooden deck and a surface drive!!

Mr X
07-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Hope these pictures help this boat has a 2 inch higher x demension.
Scott
You sure about that?
The motor mounts seem to be in the stock location.

scott snider
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
You sure about that?
The motor mounts seem to be in the stock location.
07-08-2006 01:51 PM

This is the first blackhawk hull # 001 it has a 2" higher x .
Scott

Mr X
07-08-2006, 06:50 PM
This is the first blackhawk hull # 001 it has a 2" higher x .
Scott

That would explain it.....
Thanks Scott. :)

harbormaster
07-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Jim,

Here are some more photos.
I won't take the outboard off.

BUIZILLA
07-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Jim,
Here are some more photos.
I won't take the outboard off.
Praise the Lord.........

call me when you get some free time, I would like you to measure a couple things.....

I see 2 things I don't like at all.

JH

Team Jefe
07-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Jefe, no offense taken here, thats what the board is for, discussions of our passion.... :) :)
If I had the cash (and Heidi's permission) to spend on another 22 the OB would have been sitting in my driveway a long time ago, indeed before it went to NH.. Or next week....

Mr. Baxter, thanks for your understanding and I owe you an even bigger apology. I had no idea you were that interested in this boat. All I saw was a bastard nobody had any interest in....including me as of late.

As for your conjecture. let me address what I can. Since this is an I/O hull that literally had an O/B clipped on, you need some sort of bracket. as you can see, mounting the jack plate to the hull directly would not leave room for the steering. With the motor down, the center line of the shaft is about 6" below the keel and the forward edge of the prop about 20" behind the aft keel edge...HM you should verify those numbers...its been a few days since I took those measurements. and I may be confusing the 20" shaft numbers with those from the 25" Shaft.

as far a tow clearance, the skeg is pretty close to the ground, but should clear OK. What I don't like is how the motor bounces around when not in the travel cradle, that massive block is all over the place and I was always afraid of damaging something

the fuel tank runs from the forward "engine" bay bulkhead forward to ??. I can't see it in front of the foot plates, but its hard for my big ass to see anything in there anyway. and it pretty much covers the entire lateral area between the stringers....Not sure how this compares to a normal 22C

Team Jefe
07-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Look you dumb dog:smash: ....just playing, thought I'd throw a bone to the "interesting thread gawkers":lookaroun

heck yeah an new jack plate could fit the bill...I was talking about the land and sea one currently one the boat. IMHO, that set up should be wrung out a little more before abandoning it.

yes the tank in under the cockpit....I take it that is not normal for a 22C. There is an acces plate between the seat that looked like a ski locker. it is not, it opens to the tank fittings, all you see is tank under that access panel.

harbormaster
07-10-2006, 12:22 PM
One of the perks about where I work is my access to the prop[ room. I found this 5 blade 22 pitch prop which fits just fine. I am working on a small wiring issue and then I will do a sea trial with this prop.

BUIZILLA
07-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Scot, that setup doesn't like OTH exhaust, which the pic depicts.... too much gap between the hub and gearcase...

JH