PDA

View Full Version : Pole Stern Lite Question

Blue Bullet
07-04-2006, 09:56 AM
My Brother and I are restoring the Blue Bullet and collecting information on original placement. The BB is a 1967 Donzi 18' 2+3 Barrel Back. I've checked alot of pics and ads of the 18' 2+3 and they all show the Pole Stern Lite at the stern of the boat. When we purchased the boat the Pole Stern Lite and the hole it protrudes from is centered on the deck of the boat. Could this be the original placement of this lite? Or did the previous owner move it? Also, where is the placement for a metal capacity plate? Richard
:confused:

Sofa King
07-04-2006, 10:36 AM
It is referred to as a stanchion, not a pole fyi.

Arip

penbroke
07-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Returning to the topic at hand...

The lights on my '66 18:

1) "Sidelights" combined into a single fixture on the bow.

2) Fitting for the telescoping "Mast" for supporting the "Masthead" light just ahead of the windshield. I have mine rigged to be removable because I don't like the look of it. I carry it in the boat and rig it as needed.

3) "Sternlight" set in the transom.

All of the pieces attached to the boat are original.

Note: This lighting combination does NOT meet the letter of today's law for a boat this size.

Frank

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
07-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Do you mean like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ntolnes/Eric/BobStephan3.jpg

There were no Govt. mandated capacity plates on boats built back then.

Eric

penbroke
07-04-2006, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack]Do you mean like this?QUOTE]

Yup. Just kinda looks like an add on on the nice clean deck line. I'm not sure that one has the correct lens either...

You comming around anytime soon Eric?

Frank

penbroke
07-04-2006, 08:44 PM
It is referred to as a stanchion, not a pole fyi.
Arip

stanchion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanchion)

Frank

penbroke
07-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I don't have the original mast so I am not certain... My deck fitting looked like it could accomodate a telescoping mast but it may have been fixed.

Do you have any pictures of the stern mounted one? I have a Perko from the early-mid sixties that I suspect may be the right one.

Frank

penbroke
07-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Is it the same as the one I posted above??

Frank

Sofa King
07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Flat racer, Cool looking masthead/anchor light.

Arip

07-04-2006, 11:37 PM
I think the question of whether the white light is located on the deck foward of the cockpit or near the transom is a matter of the personal taste of the original purchaser. Since in either case the white light is aft of the red/green bow light, an observer can still tell which direction the craft is headed. The legality of this arrangement probably varies from state to state. Not having the white light at the transom shouldn't make any difference on a craft this short as an observer would not be judging the length of the vessel by the distance between the lights, and would be keeping a healthy distance from it no matter what the apparent length is.
Why anyone would want a white light in their face as they try to pilot a boat at night is beyond me, but I suppose it was a styling statement of sorts.

Eric

07-04-2006, 11:52 PM
You comming around anytime soon Eric?
Frank

Hey, Frank.

I was just up to the lake this past weekend with a whole gaggle of family and friends.
I had Honeybun, my new V-Drive 18 in the lake and man, is she awesome. What a sweet running boat! She's quieter, runs smoother with less vibration, never stalls, and shifts like a dream. Much less balky than the other stern drive 18. And, as a bonus the prop shakes off the weeds as it gets on plane! Kool! Only problem is that I forgot to take pics.
I have so many gigs booked this summer, I have no weekends open. I will however, be coming up in the middle of the week sometimes. Maybe you can grab a day off and we can do Champlain. Other than that, I'll be grabbing the last week in August to relax at the lake.

I'll let you know when I'm coming up next.
Eric

hardcrab
07-05-2006, 12:18 PM
I think the question of whether the white light is located on the deck foward of the cockpit or near the transom is a matter of the personal taste of the original purchaser. Since in either case the white light is aft of the red/green bow light, an observer can still tell which direction the craft is headed. The legality of this arrangement probably varies from state to state. Not having the white light at the transom shouldn't make any difference on a craft this short as an observer would not be judging the length of the vessel by the distance between the lights, and would be keeping a healthy distance from it no matter what the apparent length is.
Why anyone would want a white light in their face as they try to pilot a boat at night is beyond me, but I suppose it was a styling statement of sorts.
Eric
the white light forward of the cockpit is not a 360 degree lens, I believe it is also what sailboats use as a masthead light. the theory is that the flush mounted transom light is only projecting aft so the forward white light will compensate/complete the anchor light when viewed at a distance.
so, no the forward light doesn't shine toward the cockpit.

also, the white anchor light is required, either as the two location set up OR on a mast, but must be visible 360 at a given distance

07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
the white light forward of the cockpit is not a 360 degree lens, I believe it is also what sailboats use as a masthead light. the theory is that the flush mounted transom light is only projecting aft so the forward white light will compensate/complete the anchor light when viewed at a distance.
so, no the forward light doesn't shine toward the cockpit.
also, the white anchor light is required, either as the two location set up OR on a mast, but must be visible 360 at a given distance

Thanks for the info. It's still beyond me why anyone would choose the forward deck location over the rear deck location. It's not like the light has to be seen over a cabin.

Eric

Sofa King
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Eric, They are totally two different things. The light you are referring to is really an anchor light. Why a small craft has one is more of a fashion statement than practacality. Who is gonna live aboard that thing? lol

Arip

hardcrab
07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info. It's still beyond me why anyone would choose the forward deck location over the rear deck location. It's not like the light has to be seen over a cabin.
Eric
Eric, I'm not being contrary, but the white light IS supposed to be visible 360 deg. so, if mast mounted, it must be taller than any structure on the boat. That is why the two fixture set up can be more convienient - note: both lights are shielded to the cockpit / the light projected by the combination of lens allowance = 360 at given distance ( 50 yds. or whatever DNR states)
I prefer this because all light is directed away from the helm.

:cool!: :cool!: :cool!: :cool!:

Rich
07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
My 66 2plus3 (hull #75) has the pole light on the starboard side of the aft deck. There is no transom light as I've seen on some. The replacement pole light is a Perko Model 1209DP2CHR. This is not telescoping. It's a plug in. The original has a brass knurled nut on the pole that screws to the base. The replacement pole's nut is plastic but the base is the same. I have to assume mine is original since there are no other holes in the deck.

olredalert
07-06-2006, 03:23 PM
-------My 75 24ft. center console has the anchor light about 2 feet from the bow. Its a plug-in and about 3 and a half feet tall. Original to the boat. Theres also a white running light in the transom along with the normal running-light on the bow..........Bill S

Blue Bullet
07-06-2006, 10:54 PM
The white lite is located just fore of the cockpit and is on the center line.No lite at transom. There is a green/red lite at the bow. Looks exactly like the picture of the FlatRacer aka BarrelBack (appreciate the pic). By the way beautiful boat! Thanks for the info and pics and expect more questions from the Donzi Undergraduate.:yes:

Sofa King
07-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Are u sure it didn't come with a stern light (aft of cockpit) at one time? It had to stock.

Arip

Sofa King
07-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't tink "Da Don" would design a boat that would blind the driver at night, lol.

Arip

Hutchs1
07-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Hi Blue,
nice machine you have there.

My 67 2+3 barrel back has the stern light mounted on the deck, starboard side, about one - two inches outside the hatch fore aft line, and about two inches back of the hatch line side to side (aft the hinge). The 67 Donzi sales literature calls the light " International, stainless steel, recessed stern light".

keep motoring...

07-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Looks exactly like the picture of the FlatRacer aka BarrelBack (appreciate the pic). By the way beautiful boat! :yes:
That's not my boat. That one was for sale a while back somewhere in the Northwest.

Mine is the '67 V-Drive pictured here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ntolnes/Eric/HoneyBun1.jpg

Hutchs1 and Blue Bullet: Could you both please e-mail me at eric.tolnes@verizon.net ??
I'd like to include your boats in the BarrelBack database.

Eric

WOT-sup
07-08-2006, 11:28 PM
For what it's worth, my '72 18 2+3 had the hole for the stern light in the right side of the deck, about in-line with the hinges for the engine hatch.
I agree....it's hard to find a good looking current production replacement base...I spent a lot of time looking.
Lucked out though...found a jewel in an old drawer of otherwise old junk parts. This Perko has been 'in storage' since the early 70's. Although it was pretty rough when found, but restored nicely.
The current Perko 360-degree 'old style' lights are decent and it is going to get one of those.
Happy hunting.
Brad