PDA

View Full Version : need help with 96 25zx

twsii
07-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I bought this boat from a broker and he told me it had a 496 HO that had replaced a 454 carb motor. after purchase i found out the inspection i had asked for was falts. the boat has a replaced 454 mpi vortec truck motor with 290hp and 415ft torque. the hull is very clean and most everything is in working order. it runs 53mph with brove 3 at 5k rpms. just wondering if anyone can give sugestions on more speed or what this boats performance ratings are. thanks tommy

The Hedgehog
07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
With that 496 and a BI it should run around 60. I think that the BIII is somewhat a limiting factor. You can do a few things here and there to pick up a mph or two but if you want a significant pick up then you will need either a serious engine overhaul or a blower. If the engine is fresh then either will work. You can get 475+ hp from the 454 by doing heads, cam, exhaust and ECU reprogram. Slap a Procharger on and you should see 500+ hp. I seem to remember someone with a 500hp 25ZX that could run about 65mph. That sounds about right. Either way I am thinking that you will want to drop the BIII for a BI or and XR.

The easiest would be to slap on a Procharger. That will net you at least 10mph. It would be best if you have forged internals.

Better yet, do all of the above and run in the 70's.

What part of Bama are you located?

mrfixxall
07-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I bought this boat from a broker and he told me it had a 496 HO that had replaced a 454 carb motor. after purchase i found out the inspection i had asked for was falts. the boat has a replaced 454 mpi vortec truck motor with 290hp and 415ft torque. the hull is very clean and most everything is in working order. it runs 53mph with brove 3 at 5k rpms. just wondering if anyone can give sugestions on more speed or what this boats performance ratings are. thanks tommy

First did you pay this guy to inspect the boat,then go after him and the person you bought it from and make them install a 496ho motor...A friend has the same boat hith a hp500+&b1 that i did some work to that runs into the low 70's....

Some one knew what they did with the engine in the boat because the rpms your running proves that they were messing with the props and they probably what engine was in the boat by the mph the boat runs...

twsii
07-04-2006, 11:44 AM
big green im from bham and run on logan martain. i talked to the broker friday and told him that i have located a 01 26zx with the 496. the boat has 40 hours and all the goodies b1, tabs, step hull and real nice. i told him if he would buy the boat i would trade mine in and buy the new one. do you know what that boat is worth?

The Hedgehog
07-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Good luck. He definately needs to make good on that. Not sure exactly what the 26ZX is worth. It is a nice boat. There are some folks here that know the 26ZX pretty well. Maybe they will chime in.