PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help - LOTO

boldts
07-03-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm looking to talk to anyone who has been to Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks. I'm looking for a Donzi dealer there if there is one and general information about the lake. If going there, where would you stay that is protected from the main lake yet allows access to the main lake and possible alternate routes to locations of interest on the lake. I'm looking for comfortable water for boats sized from 16' to 35'. In other words, I don't want 16' boats getting beat to death in getting to lake locations.

Please send your phone number or send me info. thru e-mail at scott@mwdonziclub.com or boldts@yahoo.com

Thank-you in advance!

Z-Man
07-16-2006, 09:00 PM
LOTO is quite the place if you have never been. If you plan on accessing the main channel and a summer weekend, you might want to use your bigger boats. LOTO is considered the third most deadly body of water in the country and is considered rougher than the ocean because the wakes never desipate. As for dealers, Big Thunder Marine is the only Donzi dealer. I would recommend using some of the top quality mechanics instead. For lodging, chose 5 Star Vacation Rentals. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. See you there!

Digger
07-17-2006, 06:34 AM
hmmm... change of venue for AOTH?

boldts
07-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Z-Man - Thank-you very much. Don Tamn is sending me information on the lake also. My biggest concern at this point is comfort for everyone who might attend a gathering there. Lets face it, if someone travels hours/days spending their hard earned income to be a part of an Aronow/Donzi gathering, I'd sure hate it if their boat sat on the trailer the whole time.

Digger - keeping options open - ya never know.

Give me some input here all. I'm also considering moving AOTH to the Fall to avoid past debris issues at Cumberland. Got a few other gatherings to work in between though like the Lake George Fall picnic and of course, the Home Town Rally in Sarasota, FL. It has always been a major concern of mine to not step on another gathering. Thats why May in Kentucky has always been good and it fits the name of the gathering perfectly.

LOTO is not the only lake in Missouri either, just I thought because of it's popularity, it would have the most to offer in the way of lodging for a couple hundred boat owners. It's pretty easy to dock 2 or 3 boats, but when you need room for 50 or 60 it gets a little more intense. LOL Like I said....Keeping the options open, so if you've got some thoughts, by all means, let me hear them. I know a certain 16' Ski Sporter owner (beautiful light blue and white btw) that would love to see AOTH moved to the Fall.

txtaz
07-17-2006, 10:22 AM
LOTO is awesome!!!! We went there right after AOTH and ran the entire length of the lake. It was during the week so not many boats out and good running. They say the weekends are rough on the water during the summer.

We are now looking for property there to park the new 22.

Da Taz

boldts
07-17-2006, 01:26 PM
So, your saying if we want to do LOTO, we should make it a week long, during the week thing? Would a week be to long? Not having been there, just don't know if we can keep people entertained 5 days. Maybe I should be thinking more along the lines of a Wednesday thru Saturday and give everyone the option of staying thru the weekend or coming in early? I may have to do a roadtrip out there and get some first hand experience here. They hold one of the biggest runoffs in the country don't they?

txtaz
07-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Scott,
I think 5 days is too long for an event. AND if you want to do LOTO in the summer time, in our boats, it should be during the week. IMO Either that or bring a pilots license. LOL...I'm all for flying...Ohhh RoadTrip, I'm looking at a 22 in a few weeks...

Talk with Donn, his Dad has a place there and a Cig 20. I'm sure he is just looking for an excuse to go out. Plus he is a great guy to know.

Da Taz
P.S. Thank for the great fun run and lunch at AOTH. We are doing a fun/poker run this year at PK and maybe an auction to start a Texas club.

boldts
07-17-2006, 03:17 PM
OK - no more than 4 days then - Next ? - Sunday thru Wednesday or Wednesday thru Saturday and is May still good or do we have the same issues as other inland lakes with debris? I'm really leaning towards moving this back into June or July, but have to check everyone's event calander. It gets pretty full once you get into the more summer months. Another reason to move back is to allow family participation after school is out.

How about calling it something like: Whole LOTO Don! (Aronow/Donzi theme) Then, an idea for my friend Jeff Dykama for the shirts.

The wheels are turning everyone.

BUIZILLA
07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
I liked the Knoxville/East TN idea better..........

JH

DAULEY
07-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Scott
table rock lake is a better choice in MO a lot less traffic more water and super clean
if there i could bring one of these

Z-Man
07-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Table Rock is a lot less rough especially if you get out of Branson West. If you are looking to still hit LOTO because of the action, picking a weekend after Labor Day will still afford plenty of activities and much smoother water even on the weekends. There is a fall Harbor Hop at the Ozarks in early October but the weather gets iffy so early/mid September is usually best.

boldts
07-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Yes, Tablerock is another lake I'm thinking about. Close to great vacation sites to see and do. (Brandon or something like that?) How about a resort on that lake? It connects with another big lake doesn't it? Is there somewhere with enough room for a large gathering? I'm so spoiled with being right on the lake at Cumberland, but if I can find something like the Jamestown Resort on Lake Cumberland on a different lake maybe a little further West, thats kind of where I'm going with this. After 6 years on one lake, I think many would appreciate seeing something new. Just my thoughts. Maybe I'm totally wrong here.

BTW - I'd love to see both the Legend and the lady at any of our gatherings. :)

Also want to say thanks to everyone for the ideas and thoughts. Your what these gatherings are all about. Jim, spoke with a gentleman about your idea. We'd still need to move the date of the gathering due to rivers being extremely muddy in the Spring and always full of stuff due to the rain runoff. But elaborate with me on your thoughts please. I'm thinking further West to help bring the West Coast owners to a gathering.

Humm - a name for a Fall gathering on Tablerock? What is Missouri known for? Cumberland was kind of easy with race horses in Kentucky and horses of another sort in the boats. (Awakening of the Horses because it is in Spring)

RedDog
07-17-2006, 06:09 PM
http://www.kentuckylake.com/gtb.htm

http://www.kentuckylake.net/rockquarry/

I think I have mentioned this before - Kentucky / Barkley Lakes in Western KY are really nice. They are connected via a short canal at the dams - TN River and Cumberland River. Yes, the same Cumberland River as for Lake Cumberland; if is just on th other end of the state.

Located about 2 hours northwest of Nashville on I-24
1/2 hour south of Paducah KY / southern IL

Dr. Dan
07-17-2006, 06:35 PM
:bonk: Scott...I can't comment on the Venue Selection...but as far as the time line...I would not worry as much about the East Coast Events....people will attend if they wanna attend.

It is impossible to accomadate everyone, or their schedules... have it when you,Jerry,Todd & Mark,Byron and Chris think its best to have it.

Spring is always wet....Fall could be too dry or low water also? Heck I was reading a post on another board the other day and they had commented on the Lake Cumberland over the 4th still had alot of wood? So who cares....either way you're gonna have to be careful.

Good Luck with it... sounds like ya got some ideas turning.

Doc :smash:

RedDog
07-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Scott
table rock lake is a better choice in MO a lot less traffic more water and super clean
if there i could bring one of these

Why won't the red bikini travel out of MO?

DAULEY
07-17-2006, 10:01 PM
REDDOG
if you buy one she can take you out on your seatrail:)

DonCig
07-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Scott, I think that I can help a few of the members have a better comprehension of LOTO and the water conditions. The DACA event we had at Lake Powell had 5 miles of narrow canyon wall running that was as turbulent as anything that we will have at LOTO. I know that some of the registry members never knew how performance orientated their hulls could be until they HAD to make this run at the start of each day. One 16' owner now realizes what his little boat can really do!

I used to run the marina for Marriott at LOTO and have been vacationing their for over 25 years so I feel qualified to throw in these observations:

1. There is no reason not to have an event at LOTO. Weekend or not. The success of this event will be dictated by picking a nice "Bass Hollow" or "Jamestown Marina" resort on one of the quieter spots on the lake. We have approximately 96 miles of LOTO to choose from. I am happy to put you in our boat at LOTO on a weekend and do some resort property shopping.

2. If there are concerns on the lack of smooth glass water, then I would recommend that we hold an event at Table Rock Lake. It has all the size and beauty of LOTO, but it is located further away from Kansas City and St. Louis than LOTO, so it does not receive the weekend boat traffic that makes LOTO so rough on the weekends. It is actually a better location in my opinion for this type of event.

Weather: Having been a MO resident, I base this observation on 40 plus years of cursing the weather there. Memorize the following:

80% chance of great weather from June 2 until June 30th.
80% chance of great weather from September 15 until October 15th.

5% chance of good weather in July or August, unless you like high 90's low 100's with 100% humidity.

If I was in your shoes, and I was looking at doing a rotational schedule, I would put both of these lakes in the hat and do one of them one year and do the other lake the next time you needed one in that part of the country. that way you will allow people to experience both.

I spent the week of the 4th at LOTO and for the first time in 24 years we had perfect weather for Independence day. I saw a lot of Donzis on the water. Most of them were 27" to 35'. You see a fair number of Cigarettes, Formulas, Scarabs, etc. I think that you could easily pick up 15 Donzis at the event just by having it at LOTO. I also have an acquaintance at the Donzi dealer that keeps his eyes and ears open for me for any old boat Donzi owners. That is how I found the 427 H/M V Drive 18.

I will throw out some bait to those on the fence. The LOTO is notorious for having some hidden jewels. Things like Criterions, 427 H/M V drive 18's, Old Cigarette 20's. I know where a few of these gems are hidden and we could make a great treasure hunt one day in having a contest to find the most gems. Since all docks have to have a permit number, we could make a day event the challenge as to who can locate the largest number of hidden gems. When you locate a gem boat, you have to write down the description and the dock permit number. This would also let us get there name and address to send them a letter to join the next years event. Since there are over 1,800 miles of shoreline, it will take mostly luck to win this event, since there is no way to examine each dock. I have been looking for these gems for years and every year I find a new one. One of the reasons for this is that a lot of lake houses pass down through the family, so if Grandpa bought a Criterion, the grandkids now own it and it stays in the same boat house or dock slip that it has been in for the last 20 years. There are certain sections of the lake that have very old houses and cabins and it is usually there that I find these gems.

Anyway, good luck in the decision process and I will mail your packet out this weekend.

Don

boldts
07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Thank-you Don. Really appreciate the insite from someone thats experienced the lake and for so long. Jewel Hunting is a favorite past time of mine also, although I've always done it on land checking out marinas. I look forward to the information your sending. In the mean time, I'll look on the web for resort information. Finding a Jamestown on LOTO would be the ideal situation. I know any resort would be willing to work with me on their rates and our needs.

I'll also put a call into the Donzi dealer there. Maybe I can get some insite from someone there also. The "Whole LOTO Don" logo is really starting to sound good. I like the ring it has and the meaning behind it. LOL

I like the idea of a quiet finger off the main lake for the Resort, but only concern there might be the availablity of open docks for us to use. I'm really not concerned with number of boats either. AOTH is a great gathering because of the owners who attend and their passion for boats whether it be a Donzi or other make.

I'm really getting a jump on next years gathering. I personally don't think change is a bad thing. It just takes meeting new establishments, finding out their rules or lack of, help from those who know the area and putting it all together into a package that those attending enjoy. Yes, I know you can never please everyone. Learned that many years ago. So, I get an idea, I review it with people who have been there done that, pick a date and go for it. I must be doing something right, we've had 6 years of good weather. Sometimes a bit colder than others, but we've never had a complete rain out. In fact this year was probably the worst year so far with clouds and rain at times.

What I enjoy the most is seeing both new owners come to the gathering along with owners who have attended every one since it's birth in 2000. Along with that, the varity of the boats in attendance has been outstanding! I don't care which Aronow company boat you own or whether it's brand new or old. Everyone is welcome. I think one of the most prized owners to attend this year was Connie from MI with her Eliminator Cat. Many were given an opportunity to experience a boat ride at speeds they had never experienced before.

The Mystic lives in the Midwest. Be a part of it with us.