PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Help

just add water
07-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I have a 28 ZXO and am looking to upgrade my stereo. The entire factory system is Sony with (2) speakers in the bow and (2) near the rear bench. Additionally, their is a 10" subwoofer under the rear bench, starboard side. This stereo is fair, but I am looking for something more. Here are the questions I have:

1. Can I upgrade my 6.5" Sony 140 watt speakers substantially and be able to use the existing 6.5" holes? Are MB Quart that much better? I think that they have similar output.

2. Where did Donzi mount the amp? I realize that my upgrade may start here.

3. Has anyone added an additional set of speakers to a 28 ZX or ZXO and where did you mount them? I think that I may need (6) speakers to get what I am after.

4. Do I really need to change my Sony head unit, or will an upgrade in speakers and amp do the trick?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

RWPool
07-23-2006, 05:24 PM
I couldn't go further without talking about sound systems. My advice: In most cases, I find that sound systems are underpowered. First, check your head unit to see that it has preamp (line level) outputs available to drive amplifiers. If so, get a high quality multichannel amplifier with enough power and crossover adjustments to drive your current and future speakers, including the sub. This may require more than one amplifier. Try your new set-up and notice how much improvement there is. If you are still unsatisfied, start with upgrading the speakers, add some speakers and then upgrade the head unit. Just be aware, you will become used to your new sound quickly and then want more. You are about to go Custom. There is no limit to how much you put in....as long as there is enough time, $$ and 12V power.

FISHIN SUCKS
07-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Tim, You may want to PM (Private Message) 'show-n-go h2o' (Derek), he has a 28zx with a killer audio/video/neon system. I know enough about stereo stuff to be dangerous, but I just had a new system put in our Blackwidow (4 - 6 1/2's and a 10" sub). She thumps pretty good now. Can't remember off hand what I put in it other than I know I got the best Pioneer reciever they had, but I did save the boxes, I'll let you know if you care. With you being in Munster, it may be worth the drive to Fort Wayne (or at least a phone call to my buddy/installer) to check prices. I paid about half of what I would have at a normal retailer, installed:shocking: :smash::yes:

mrfixxall
07-26-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a 28 ZXO and am looking to upgrade my stereo. The entire factory system is Sony with (2) speakers in the bow and (2) near the rear bench. Additionally, their is a 10" subwoofer under the rear bench, starboard side. This stereo is fair, but I am looking for something more. Here are the questions I have:
1. Can I upgrade my 6.5" Sony 140 watt speakers substantially and be able to use the existing 6.5" holes? Are MB Quart that much better? I think that they have similar output.
2. Where did Donzi mount the amp? I realize that my upgrade may start here.
3. Has anyone added an additional set of speakers to a 28 ZX or ZXO and where did you mount them? I think that I may need (6) speakers to get what I am after.
4. Do I really need to change my Sony head unit, or will an upgrade in speakers and amp do the trick?
Any and all advice is much appreciated.
Thanks

now your talking,,,,,i use to work for rockford in my younger years.. Your not that far from me and i have a friend that will give you super deals on electronics,,rays electronics in addison il 630-549-2868 tell him mike that use to work at sound dealers sent you and he will give you a great deal....

mikev
07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
I went to walmart and got a 500 watt sony xplode amp for $99.00 and two sets sony xplode speakers for another 125.00 and it sounds great. the speakers have poly cones so they can get wet and the screws that hold the speakers down go through the grill so they are not poping off in the rough water. still need to add a sub for more bass but it goes really loud now you can hear it running at speed no probelm. and the stuff is cheap enough that when it gets trashed after a few years of getting wet I wont be upset.