PDA

View Full Version : Possible 1969 16 for sale...

chappy
07-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Hello all,
A friend of mine at work today asked me, "Is that boat you are always talking and raving about called a Donzi?" I told him yes. He told me that there is a sign on the trailer of a boat with a sign that says "Sweet 69 16" for sale close to his business. He walked up to the boat, and said it looked immaculate. There was no price, just a phone number. He's got a good eye for detail. The boat is 15 miles from my house. I'm going to see it tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to post pictures with details if it's a diamond in the rough.
Or I may buy it myself if the price is right:hyper:
Rich

chappy
07-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Sorry, I didn't get out of work until 7PM tonight, I already told them I'm leaving at noon tomorrow. I'm going there with a camera. Another friend told me the boat is very clean. Sorry for the delay.
Rich :(

chappy
07-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Just got in. I went and looked at the 16. It is a 1969 16. It's name on the side is "So fine 69". It's white with blue stripe and boot. The sides and bottom look like they were re-gelcoated maybe 10-15 years ago. They are in decent condition. The deck and hatch need to come off and be re-done. It's got a sbc with cracked risers and possibly block, with a berkeley jet drive. The compelling thing is that there is only a phone number and name and the sign only says, "best offer". I talked to the guy at the house and he said "It belongs to my landlord, he just wants to get rid of it". My sense is that it could be had for a song. Sorry, my camera had to stay at work for an accident investigation. His name is Rick, and his number is 631 681 9604, on Long Island. I'd put this in the "Donzi's for sale" section, but didn't because I didn't have an asking price, sorry.
Hope someone gets a steal here,
Rich

Lenny
07-04-2006, 09:44 PM
A '69 with a "jet" , AND a 16'... is a rare beast indeed.

VERY cool find. Pics would SURE BE NICE... :yes:

LKSD
07-05-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the info.. :) Jamie :)

chappy
07-05-2006, 06:32 PM
A buddy called me today from the area near the house that the boat is in front of. He told me the boat was an 18, he thinks? I looked at the boat through bino's due to the pit bull/bulldog guarding the yard. Sorry for the confusion. I've never seen a 16 before, possibly not able to tell the size through bino's. I'll stand behind the fact that it's a 1969 barrellback, and it's a jet drive that needs deck and hatch work. I'm going to try to go back with a camera tomorrow. Sorry Lenny,:garfield: I know your anxious to see pics, I'll do my best.
Rich

Formula Jr
07-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Extremely rare if its a 16 and a jet, also rare if its an 18 and a jet - which is more likely and you saw it had a rounded transom making it an 18. In that time period, Jets and Vee drives were used to get around the fact that outdrives could not handle big blocks. Jets gave a linear ride with out the down thrust of the Vee drives. But they sucked, pun intended, because they are inefficient in a Deep Vee and didn't work with a hull that wants to be aired out. You can plant the transom of a boat with lesser deadrise and not lose speed in flat water. So if its a jet and original to '69 its likely got an old's big block in it. The jet period was short lived with 24 degree deep Vees. In that time period people that owned Donzi's had to be careful when they ran, cause there was a plethera of faster boats if you ran in certain conditions that were advantagious to their design if you were running on the Chesapeake Bay. The Sidewinders come to mind here. They handed Donzi owners their heads for a while. For half the price. But they are all used up. I've never seen a clean one today. They fell apart.

chappy
07-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Just got in from work. Will try to get to the boat for pics tomorrow or Saturday. I'm off on Sunday, pics I'll get then. Owen, great information. Sorry for the delay guys.:(
Rich

chappy
07-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Went to take pics this morning, boat is gone. My bad. Sorry guys, I should have been prepared with a camera the day I went. Hopefully a registry member grabbed it.
Rich