PDA

View Full Version : A real bummer...

blueliner
07-02-2006, 01:59 PM
well, yesterday was a real lesson in the bad part about owning a boat. long weekend, going to a boat get together on the back of gambier island with about a 100 people or so, with all kinds of boats, mostly cruisers and such, all awaiting the arrival of my firend alex, myself and the blue aronow edition. we went and filled up w/ some fuel and as we were leaving the fuel barge, the boat would not come out of reverse and was reving high and backwards in a somewhat unfriendly environment (o ther boats near by, that we could possibly smack in to.) i cut the engine as soon as i realized something wasn't kosher. my buddy alex, who is also a high performance engine builder and mechanic, hopped in the engine hatch to see if a cable was stuck or such. he tried everything and we eventually had to paddle back to the fuel barge, walk her around so we weren't in the way other boats, and waited for c-tow. alex, then tried some other things. when we were tied up, he would have me start the engine in neutral, when i did this the boat would lurch backwards for a second (reving high) and then would go into idle. does anyone know what problem this might be???? luckily this is still under mercruiser warranty. what is there position on the fact that i had to be towed and then hoisted out of the water, since i had no power of any kind to get it to a marina or opportunity to put it on a trailer?? any feedback would be great. on top of that, the weather is the best it has been all summer and i want to go boating. i also put a new prop on, from brett at bblades. a 27p mirage plus. but only got to run it for 2 miles before this happened. i noticed a lot more porposing at lower speeds and had to run a lot more tab. as soon as i started to raise the drive the porposing became really bad. i have had the 25p dialed in for a year now, what can i expect from this larger prop, with regards to the porposing and how can i rectify this problem. i don't want to have to run position 8 on my tab indicator until i get to 65 mph plus. that seems a little excessive for maybe a few miles an hour faster that what i am doing now. thanks in advance for your thoughts...

MOP
07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Before you dump any $$ pull the cables off the converter/throttle and see if the seem to work Ok, pay a little attention to excess slack in the throttle cable. Also check the throttle cable anchor at the engine. Not sure what type cable anchor is in the box you are using but if the outer has come loose it will do just what is happening to you. What ever you find go over the converter adjustment again more then likely you have stretched the shift cable trying to horse it out of gear.

Phil

blueliner
07-02-2006, 05:46 PM
AIC needs to be checked... It wont shift at high revs, possibly hence the stuck in reverse.. revs to high, tried to yank it outta gear b4 they came down so you didnt wreak havoc on those around ya... stuck now :( :(
Ditch the M+.... Sorry, not the answer you wanted I'm sure...

i really enjoy the 25p M+ i have that thing so dialed in that i don't get a lot of porposing> the reason i tried the bigger pitch was to lower rpms then lab it and bring it back up. i want to stay with the 3 blade because the four is going to slow me down. any suggestions???

Mr X
07-02-2006, 06:05 PM
i really enjoy the 25p M+ i have that thing so dialed in that i don't get a lot of porposing> the reason i tried the bigger pitch was to lower rpms then lab it and bring it back up. i want to stay with the 3 blade because the four is going to slow me down. any suggestions???

The 25 mirage Plus is the fastest prop for that boat...PERIOD.

If you are just into crusing and want easy driving....some people like the 4 blade props.......not me.

You could send it to throttle up, and get a tiny bit of cup in it and have it
labbed the right way. They will get all of the info from you make it perfect.

Mr X
07-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Oddly enough, the only boat I have EVER know the 27 M+
working well on is the new 27ZR. Yes it does have a smaller diameter.......but I dont think that is the reason it does not work well. It must have a weird blade rake.

Douglas Dorsi
07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear your day did not go as planned but on the positive side I hope the problem is simple like the cable. This explanation makes a lot of sense. As far as your sea tow costs you may want to check your insurance policy. Some are only in case of accident but you may have coverage for breakdown towing. Let us know how it works out.

Doug

blueliner
07-02-2006, 10:10 PM
will the labbing make the prop less prone to making the boat porpoise??? i want to get a little more speed out of her. i know what works on paper or in theory doesn't always work, but this is what brett recommended. the guy knows his props, afterall he did work at mercury racing for a number of years. but again, what works in the shop doesn't always work in the filed. i am just really disappointed. i was hoping for a better result. i will try it again when my boat is fixed, but if it still does what it did, i will have to send it back
I have never heard anything good about the 27 M+. Something about they have a weird diameter or whatever seems to affect their performance...

Mr X
07-03-2006, 07:06 AM
The only way to stop the popoise is to trim it way in, or tab it way down.........or do as I do and not drive it between 42-50 MPH.
They all do it.
Again, this is with the Mirage Plus prop.
You will find 4 blades that will stop it......but they are S L O W E R.

BUIZILLA
07-03-2006, 07:34 AM
BL, is the AE stock x-dimension or raised ?

JH

gcarter
07-03-2006, 07:40 AM
The only way to stop the popoise is to trim it way in, or tab it way down.........or do as I do and not drive it between 42-50 MPH.
They all do it.
Again, this is with the Mirage Plus prop.
You will find 4 blades that will stop it......but they are S L O W E R.
Ted, I know you and Catch 22 disagree about this, but he's running a 31" Q4 and does 90!!!!! And he's very stable and no porpoising.

Mr X
07-03-2006, 11:10 AM
George, we dont disagree...Jim and I talked many times while he was building his boat........he prefers the handling of the 4 blade.
And he would do 93.5 with a Mirage plus.

blueliner
07-03-2006, 12:04 PM
stock x-dimension.
93.5 mph but what is his powerplant??? is he using a supercharger as well???

BL, is the AE stock x-dimension or raised ?
JH

gcarter
07-03-2006, 02:37 PM
stock x-dimension.
93.5 mph but what is his powerplant??? is he using a supercharger as well???
Stock 454 w/pro charger.