PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive has 6" of side to side movement

zimm17
07-01-2006, 05:49 AM
Is it normal for my Bravo 1 drive to wiggle 3" in each direction? I think this is why the boat hooks so much when pulling off the throttle. We checked the tiller arm- no slop. Next step is to drill the huge 1 1/8" hole in the side of the housing to check the nut going to the tiller arm. Any other ideas?

Barry Eller
07-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Hey Zimm, that much side to side movement is not normal. I would check everything including the gimble mounts. I think something is worn to the point of breaking. You don't want to loose your steering while running! That would be like loosing the rudder on one of those airplanes you fly!

Big weekend coming up, July 15th. Blue Angels on Pensacola Beach. Are you still in Virginia?

zimm17
07-01-2006, 06:26 AM
Actually I'm on deployment- so I'm getting plenty of "boating" right now. I'm getting ready to learn how to conn my ship the USS IWO JIMA which is a bit bigger than the Donzi. Scary having a pilot trying drive a ship...

Anyways, my dad is caring for the Donzi this summer and found the steering slop. He's going to drill the side out for access to the tiller arm nut and see what's going on in there. Hope I don't need a new gimble...

Barry Eller
07-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Does your Dad live in Pensacola?

gcarter
07-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Get a good used gimble, rebuild it, and I'll buy that one.
I hate to see those holes drilled into the housing.

MOP
07-01-2006, 07:18 AM
No way would not cut the housing, if there is problem and I bet there is you need to pull it apart and fix it anyway. Merc did away with all but the gimble bearing grease fitting now the shields/gimbles last about 1/4 of the time they used to before a rebuild!

Doug L.
07-01-2006, 08:00 AM
You can't fix it unless you drill the
holes, without pulling the engine.
The holes are not in a high stress
area of the casting. You do need
two taps one with the end cut off

zimm17
07-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Fixed! Just found out my dad drilled the hole(s) and tighened it up and it's fixed! He had to buy a 1" thread tap to allow a plug to seal it up. I haven't gotten the full report yet, but wanted to let ya'll know it worked.