PDA

View Full Version : First run of the season... in the 27ZR

jeddski
06-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Had the chance to get the first run of the season in yesterday, and it was in a 27ZR. Huge thanks go out to the group at Typhoon Performance Marine and especially Frank and Melissa Civitano who took me on one of my most memorable boating trips. What better way to break in a new boat than run it from Toms River to Ocean City?
We hit every type of weather imaginable: wind driven chop, rain, pea soup fog, large ocean swells, ext ext. I cannot thank the both of them enough for their help, patience, and the general experience of the whole trip. Frank, sorry for letting the BAJA pass us... A little more seat time and I'll feel right at home again!
The boat is incredible :eek!: . We used to run a procharged 22ZX (Frank and Melissa's previous boat) and then a Z20 bowrider. I'm still amazed at how the 27 handles the rough water and how well it tracks through the turns. We ended up running the boat all day today and ran up to AC for lunch. The boat was cruising along through the ocean at 50 with a few easy sprints into the low 60's. Even with the chop and rollers it was completely comfortable and smooth. (and with plenty of throttle left!!)
If anyone is in the area and wants to get together for some offshore runs I'd love to get out there with some fellow Donzi's. Sorry for turning this into a novel, but if you hadn’t noticed our family was very excited :shocking: to take delivery of the new boat and get back into a performance hull.
Now it might be time for a set of CMI's and something to help the 496 breathe a little better.......:cool!:
Thanks again Frank, Melissa, and Typhoon!

Carl C
06-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Thats awesome, jeddski. They say your boat will go 75 with the 496. Keep us posted. I'm interested in this boat too.:hyper:

Shanghied Again
07-01-2006, 08:07 AM
We had the boat up to 72MPH with a 24 Pitch Bravo1, we are waiting for the 26 Pitch Lab finished prop, She should hit 74MPH. The ride was incredible, made my 26ZX look like a slug. What I couldn't believe is the way she handles the boat runs like a bigger ZR. As soon as you get over 40 mph she tracked over the 2-3ft bay chop like there was no waves under her! On take off you didn't need any trim tabs and once on top we left them in the up position, Jed: The best of luck with her and if there is anything you need, I am here. As soon as your new exhaust come in I will call you. I thought we were going to need a chart plotter and compass headings when we hit that fog!

LKSD
07-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Jedski: Congrats.. It sounds like you will have a fun weekend!! :) J

Pismo
07-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Very cool, what engine?

jeddski
07-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks All. Pismo the boat has the 496 HO.
We're definately adding on some hours so far. We unveiled it to the rest of the family this morning. They were just a little bit surprised as they all thought we were going to go water skiing on the Z20!!

We'll keep you posted on the speeds once the new prop gets in and I get the courage up to keep the throttle pinned. So far we've been limiting ourselves to the occasional run into the low 60's.

Frank, I think Melissa helped us out better than any chart plotter in that fog.

Unfortunately its time to go to work (so i can still pay for gas)