PDA

View Full Version : 5200 & Starboard

MOP
06-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Curious how well 5200 holds to Starboard, have a small project that I want to glue together.

Phil

gcarter
06-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Well, you know the crappy, rotted little piece of 1/2" plywood Donzi used to mount the bilge pump and switch to?
I replaced mine w/starboard mounted in 5200. It's still stuck, and probably keeping out water, but where I filleted the edges of the Starboard with 5200, the thin edge of the 5200 fillet is loose. Mainly cosmetic. I'm not sure it's a good choice for anything structural.

Cuda
06-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Doesn't hold at all. I stuck two pieces together with 5200, let it cure for three days, and pulled it apart with my bare hands, and I have no grip at all because of two busted fingers on my right hand.

If you can, get some pvc board. It's lighter, cheaper, stiffer, and best of all, you can glue it together with the same glue people use to glue sprinkler systems together. I wish I'd have known that before I spent a ton on starboard. It's just as easy to work with. Both of them are easier to work with than plywood.

MOP
06-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks! I need to glue a couple of support blocks under the aft corners of my engine hatch drainway, I am finally installing the overboard drains for the engine hatch. Last year up at 1K it bugged me how oftern my bilge pump ran during a rain storm , I have experianced some un believable short rain storms up there. Thankfully I have always been on land when they hit, I have seen visablitly drop to 60-75 feet could get spooky with the granite shoals up there. I will cut some plywood blocks instead.

Phil