PDA

View Full Version : Aronow Sea Trial - Not broken in - 37 hrs - Speed ?

Douglas Dorsi
06-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Some of you have reponded to my thread on a temp alarm that has been keeping me from purchasing a Aronow. The Mercury dealy has found the problem - sand in the heat exchanger (no corrosion). All passages have been cleaned and we sea trial tommorow Saturday AM. The engine was scanned and has 37 hours. Most at very low speed and only 21 min above 4000 rpm. I understand that the engine limits power to about 80 % untill broken in around the 45 hr mark. Mercury mechanic says the engine needs some strong running to get the rings to seat properly and that everything looks great. Any idea of what we should expect for performance while we under the break in hours during our sea trial? Prop pitch is 24 with Bravo X / 496 HO.
Hope to join you all tommorow as the new owner of this Aronow. My other option is a new white 07 classic 22 at 10K off list.
Doug

Cuda
06-30-2006, 08:03 PM
I'd go with the Aronow Edition. It's going to be a coveted Donzi for a long time I think.

blueliner
06-30-2006, 08:27 PM
that boat looks so sweet in red. it reminds me of one of my first cars, a 65 mustang convertible, cherry red. the classic is kind of like a mustang, all engine, very light, and a real head turner. best of luck...

I'd go with the Aronow Edition. It's going to be a coveted Donzi for a long time I think.

cigarette30
06-30-2006, 09:05 PM
The engine was scanned and has 37 hours.I understand that the engine limits power to about 80 % untill broken in around the 45 hr mark. Doug

I must really be missing something, 45 hours ! is broken in? The merc. manual says 10, and even the dealer check off sheet says to check full throttle r.p.m. (limited time) to check for the correct prop r.p.m. range.

How can this be done with a 4000 r.p.m. limiter ?

Sounds to me like the dealer is preparing you for a further expectation of improved performance over you test drive. I would bet, what you see at 37 hours, is the best you will see.

Douglas Dorsi
06-30-2006, 09:33 PM
I must really be missing something, 45 hours ! is broken in? The merc. manual says 10, and even the dealer check off sheet says to check full throttle r.p.m. (limited time) to check for the correct prop r.p.m. range.
Sounds to me like the dealer is preparing you for a further expectation of improved performance over you test drive. I would bet, what you see at 37 hours, is the best you will see.

Thanks for the response. I was looking at a PCM manual for th 8.1L HO and they say 25 hrs for break in. They also say correctly propped you should see 4800-5000 max rpm. We will see in the morning. I will also talk to the mechanic that gave me the info. He is not affiliated with the Broker. I may have miss understood something.

undertaker
07-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Good luck.....:yes: :yes: keep us posted.....

Undertaker:cool:

LKSD
07-01-2006, 08:48 AM
I'd Go with the Aronow Ed.. As long as its fixed right.. It's really sharp & unique... Id expect mid 70-73 for speed with a 24pB1.. The 25p M+ Ran better for us..

Here is a link to our results.. :) Jamie / Lakeside :)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45138

Douglas Dorsi
07-01-2006, 08:40 PM
I'd Go with the Aronow Ed.. As long as its fixed right.. It's really sharp & unique... Id expect mid 70-73 for speed with a 24pB1.. The 25p M+ Ran better for us..
:smash: We took the red Aronow out and everything went great. The broker drove for a while and showed me what she could do with a little experience. The Lavorsi GPS speedo showed 71. We made another run and hit 69. We were between a no wake zone and a 25 mph zone for the test so there was limited time to play with the tabs and trim to eek out the last she had to offer. Also it was a very hot day today in Jupiter Florida. Engine has always sounded very solid and the temp was rock stable not wavering more than a couple of degrees no matter what we threw her way. The bottom line is that the boat had been run shallow and sucked a bunch of sand which pooled in the heat exchanger. They cleaned it out and since it now has a new impeller from the original mis diagnosis I think we have one great boat. I got behind the wheel and played it safe for my first time out with trim in and tabs down some and reached 60. All runs were in the intercoastal with light chop. We came back in to the marina finished the paperwork and now we are all legal. The marina gave us a $40 a month break on storage so we have a little extra gas money for the red head. My wife and I took it back out on our own and cruised down the intercoastal and out the inlet where the seas were two to 4 feet. We just putzed around in those conditions being new to the red heads dance steps and came back in. At the marina we washed her down and put her away. Heads were turning the whole time out and the stainless logo is just awsome combined with the flush engine vents and flush cleats. My wife and I are both in love with this one so is this called a threesome?

I can't thank you all enough for encouraging us and providing all your comments and advise. I think we have a good one here and I am sure with all the experience at the registry we will keep this baby going a long time.

Doug & Ellen

Douglas Dorsi
07-01-2006, 09:24 PM

Jamie,

This is awsome information and appears dead on with our run of 71 today with the 24pB1. I am sure I will want to check out another prop at some time (when I know the boat better) so thanks again for your feed back and encouragement!

Doug

Douglas Dorsi
07-01-2006, 09:28 PM

I was missing something! we hit 71 with the 24pb1 and all is well with the temperature issue, so thanks for the input ,your comments were accurate.

Doug

Douglas Dorsi
07-01-2006, 09:37 PM
that boat looks so sweet in red. it reminds me of one of my first cars, a 65 mustang convertible, cherry red. the classic is kind of like a mustang, all engine, very light, and a real head turner. best of luck...

Thanks blueliner, everywhere we went heads were rotating in exorcist fashion to get another look at the # 006 red head. We did not buy it to cause this effect but this thing stands out on the water and commands attention especially with the sound of that big block! The heavy stainless Donzi logo, flush engine louvers, and scoop are just awsome. Don't know if the GPS Lavorsi speedo is standard or an option but I bet you know with that custom beauty of yours they decided to produce....did they give you a check for the idea, they sure owe you one! Do you know how many they made with the Aronow nameplate? Seems to be very few. The windshield on mine is plexi & must have been custom ordered too.

Doug

Douglas Dorsi
07-01-2006, 09:47 PM

Thanks Cuda, We are seeing red now and could not be happier. Awsome boat with room for me to grow in learning how to handle the red headed lion. I think this was a pretty good deal price wise and hope she will be fairly collectable one day but I can not imagine selling after our first day of ownership today!

Doug

Douglas Dorsi
07-02-2006, 07:56 AM
We hope to get out again today on our new purchase but if it's crazy out there with the July 4th crowd we may just spend the day detailing the boat and checking the fittings. I also need to get some locking lug nuts for the trailer wheels and was looking for stainless ones but it looks like I will have to settle for the standard fare.

undertaker
07-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Poodle can get you locks for your trailers wheels, PM him... Boat looks sweet good luck with it.....:) :) :)

Undertaker:boat:

LKSD
07-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Jamie,
This is awsome information and appears dead on with our run of 71 today with the 24pB1. I am sure I will want to check out another prop at some time (when I know the boat better) so thanks again for your feed back and encouragement!
Doug

Your welcome... Enjoy the new toy.. :) Hopefully I will get to use mine this holiday too... The water up here has junk in it though from the storms & floding, but we will see... Enjoy your 4th.. :) Jamie / Lakeside