PDA

View Full Version : What would cause the starter to stick on?

HamrenDan
06-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I have a 90 x-22. It has not started in a year, and at the time the started stuck on.. So after that episode and the over heating problem we tore apart the top of the engine including the intake manifold..( Lucky for me the machine shop left the old bent pushrod was sitting in the valley) We hot soaked the risers and exhaust manifolds, cleaned them out and painted them all nice and pretty. So I just got around to putting it back together. I replaced the starter solenoid. I am thinking that the starter failing to stop cranking may be the result of a bad key switch. I should have replaced it long ago, but I didn't know they often go bad. So ... do you think this is where my problem lies? Thanks in advance.. I know I have not participated much, but the 26K baud really sucked.. I now have wild Blue..and it’s much more tolerable.. TIA..

Pismo
06-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Jump the key switch for am easy diagnosis of the key switch.

Barry Eller
06-30-2006, 05:08 PM
I had a similar situation and it was the starter relay, looks like a solenoid, the main pos. power cable from the battery connects to it. Also located on the circuit breaker module if you have a OMC. Most Donzis in 1990 were OMC.

RedDog
06-30-2006, 07:59 PM
I have a 90 x-22. It has not started in a year, and at the time the started stuck on.. So after that episode and the over heating problem we tore apart the top of the engine including the intake manifold..( Lucky for me the machine shop left the old bent pushrod was sitting in the valley) We hot soaked the risers and exhaust manifolds, cleaned them out and painted them all nice and pretty. So I just got around to putting it back together. I replaced the starter solenoid. I am thinking that the starter failing to stop cranking may be the result of a bad key switch. I should have replaced it long ago, but I didn't know they often go bad. So ... do you think this is where my problem lies? Thanks in advance.. I know I have not participated much, but the 26K baud really sucked.. I now have wild Blue..and it’s much more tolerable.. TIA..

PWD?

LKSD
07-01-2006, 08:39 AM
I have seen bad key switches & solenoids do this... J :)

mrfixxall
07-01-2006, 02:01 PM

The sterter solenoid was the rite choice,,just make sure the battery is up to par or it will melt the contact piont in the solenoid again...