PDA

View Full Version : Whats a Good Price on a Trailer?

DudeHoss
06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
After my fiasco with the 1997 22 Classic I have decided to purchase a 2006 22 Classic from Florida. The boat doesn’t come with a trailer and I’m getting prices between $2300 and $3300 for aluminum trailers. I’m only going to be using the boat in fresh water so I don’t need a galvanized trailer. My main concern is driving over 1000 miles back to Texas. I need a something decent. What makes a good trailer? Anyone have a good trailer for sale?

undertaker
06-28-2006, 01:50 PM
I and a few others on this board have MYCO trailers for our 22 classics mine is painted steel I love it IMO there is no better trailer, but they are pricey. Anothor nice painted steel trailer for reasonable money in performance trailers in Lake George, NY, Dr. Dan has one and it is VERY nice, pm him for the specifics. Good luck with trailer purchase & the new ride...:) :)

Undertaker

gcarter
06-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Nothing wrong with aluminum trailers. Add some SST disk brakes.

LKSD
06-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Both are good ways to go. I have owned both & liked both. They however both have their respective differences. Either one set up properly to your boat should be fine, just DO NOT use or get a roller trailer for it... Jamie :)

CHACHI
06-30-2006, 10:31 AM
DH, my 20 foot Minx rides on a Myco and my 22C rides on an Eagle. I have towed both thousands of miles with no bad handling issues. Both trailers seem to offer good access to the boat and they both do what they are suppose to do very well. The Myco has 3 cross members to support the hull, the Eagle 4, probally due to the larger boat. The biggest difference I can see between the two is the type of steel used in construction. The Eagle is square tube while the Myco is "C" channel. The Eagle does have drain holes drilled into the underside of the tubes for water to drain, but as it starts to rust from the inside out, there is no easy way to address the issue. With the "C" channel there is no way water can be trapped, and if rust does delovelop the problem could be easily addressed. If I was going to keep this for the long haul I would at least look for a trailer built like the Myco, with "C" channel or go aluminum. My 2 cents. Ken

Digger
06-30-2006, 01:17 PM
I've been very happy with my Owens & Sons. Would suggest rethinking not needing galvanized, maybe someday you'll want to drag the boat to the ocean.
good luck with search

www.slideon.com

Team Jefe
06-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Dude? what part of Tejas you in? Aluminum is the way to go...Digger nailed it as usual, you may want to drop in saltwater and the painted trailers fizz when that happens:wink: Plus steel is heavy.

I ask about your location becasue IMHO you should buy froma local manuf. In the Houston Area we have Tech-Sun and McClain who do the Aluminum ones.

It is a warranty issue, I have a Loadmaster bought new when I got the Revenge, it had a bad axle.....Loadmaster was happy to replace it as long as I brought it to them in Florida....No way. Finally we worked out a deal with McClain to do the work, but burned up a few tires in the interim.

I agree with Poodle...bigger is better

Biskit
06-30-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm still in need of a Trailer for my 18 footer and would like to get an aluminum
over steel. Any suggestions Jefe? Sig

florida gator
06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
I just bought a brand new Nextrail. I'm very pleased so far.

undertaker
07-01-2006, 08:20 AM
:yes: Poodle that outdrive is a little dirty....:wink: :wink: sorry there are a lot of trailer mfg. but IMO:) there are only a few decent trailer mfg. Poodle can get you a NICE trailer, MYCO steel or aluminum (by the way myco warrants there steel trailers for 5yrs even with saltwater use) although I do not recommend a lot of salt water use, but if 99% of your boating is fresh and 1% salt MYCO will not be a problem IMO:) :) . Minxguy is right MYCO has C channel which is real nice, also Dr. Dans trailer (performance) is tube steel But is solid tube no way for water to get inside nice feature:yes:

Have seen trailers that poodle sells, seen Dr. Dans, and have seen MYCO'S ans for a little more cash you will have a piece of mind that your nice boat will be supported the right way and you will have a great trailer with no issues for years to come. Ok I am done now sorry for the long post.:yes: :yes: :yes:

LKSD
07-01-2006, 08:30 AM
I am very happy with my custom Phoenix steel trailer all square tubular steel it fits like a glove & tows like a Cadillac.. (the sad part is I have more towing hours with it than boating hours.. ). It has ss discs on both axles, diamond plated step pads, all Led lighting etc..... The other trailer I think is made very well That would compare is Undertakers Myco & Dr. Dan's new Trailer.. I hope you make out ok.. :) J

Barry Eller
07-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Second one is my 22 in it's cradle.. Err, I mean on it's trailer.. Anyways, you can sort of see how the bunks AND the trailer frame come all the way back to the transom.. No chance of the bunk bending, allowing the hull to be damaged.. Also brings the tail lights to the rear where folks can actually see em....[/QUOTE] Madpoodle
That is good advice. I bought a aluminum Performance Trailer that was listed in their catalog at the dealer that was supposed to fit the Donzi 22 Classic I own. Nice trailer, SS disc brakes, SS bolts, galvanized axles, etc. I bought the trailer which was a "new 2004" in May of 2005. I was in the process of building my new 502 crate motor and didn't have the opportunity to really use it until the Fall on 05 when I completer the re-power. That is when I discovered that I had no tongue weight. I had to move the axles back 4" to get 300 # tongue weight. Works fine now. But the rear of the trailer is still under the boat 3 feet from the transom.

Donzigo
07-02-2006, 06:19 AM
MadPoodle, as usual has it nailed...........and as Cuda always says: "The last thing you want to ruin a fun day & a great boating memory, is a bad tralier experience on the way home.......... oh yeah.

There are many good manufacturers out there, check some earlier threads, where we have chronicled all of the people who make the trailers. It was quite in depth and had great information.