PDA

View Full Version : Criterion instruments

Barry Eller
06-28-2006, 08:05 AM
I have always wondered about the instruments on Criterions. They appear to be duplicated across the panel. Also from the photos I've seen they have more gauges than most boats as well. Are the flat panels with the outline of a boat functional? Are there any gauges in the front passenger compartment?

Ed Donnelly
06-28-2006, 09:16 AM
The passenger gets the same gauges as the driver. Tach,speedo,battery condition. The extra gauges are, 2 pyrometers(engine exhaust) 2 hydraulic pressure gauges(Bennett trim tabs) The single gauges are-water temp,oil temp,oil pressure,vacum.16 accounted for missing 4(total 20 gauges) will check out the boat tonight and let you know what the other 4 are .....Ed

P.S. The boat image shows what lights are on,engine compartment,cockpit,anchor,navigation.
I don't understand your last question though..Ed

farmer tx
06-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Volts,Amps, Battery condition,Trim position,Fuel presure,Clock. Ed you only missed a couple:lookaroun That means it's been too long since you had your Criterion out on the water.:wink:

Mark

I had to tag the temp and oil presure guages untill I got familiar with the layout.

Ed Donnelly
06-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Mr. Farmer; I have made a few changes to my gauges and couldn't remember what I took out. 1 amp gauge replaced with O2 sensor, gas pressure was changed out when I went with the fuel injected engine,vacum changed out to vacum-pressure when I put in the Gale Banks twin turbo. Haven't looked at the clock for 10 yrs. always shows high noon:wink: ...Ed

P.S. It hasn't been that long since it was in the water. Aug.2004
Think of the money I have saved on gas,oil,wax,plugs,etc. etc.
Thank God my friends have Donzis I can bum rides in..Hoping for 1,000 Islands 2006....Ed

Barry Eller
06-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks Ed, my question about the passenger compartment, does it have any instrumentation for the passengers to see? Speedometer perhaps? What is the layout of the front passenger compartment? Access to the front of the boat, storage? In other words whats up there?:confused:

Just curious, I've never seen a Criterion in person.

Ed Donnelly
06-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Barry; I think you are referring to the jump seat in front of the windshield,Yes?? If so, there are no gauges. I have the only Criterion that has a storage shelf for the hatch (farmer TX may be adding one)..
There is a removeable hatch in the middle of the foot well(pain in the a** to remove, that gives you access to the bow..Thinking of putting a hinge on the hatch for better access....Keep on asking away...Ed

Barry Eller
06-28-2006, 01:18 PM
I think its a cool design. How many Criterions built?

A neighbor of mine has a HackerCraft runabout that has separate seating compartments. His boat is beautiful, but he doesn't run it much. Next time I'm out, I'll take a photo of his hanging in his boathouse.

Check out these boats...www.hackercraft.com

Donzi LG
06-28-2006, 02:20 PM
I think its a cool design. How many Criterions built?
A neighbor of mine has a HackerCraft runabout that has separate seating compartments. His boat is beautiful, but he doesn't run it much. Next time I'm out, I'll take a photo of his hanging in his boathouse.
Check out these boats...www.hackercraft.com

The ultimate classic Lake George boat. My uncle has a 30ft triple cockpit that is absolutely gorgeous! Nothing like seeing one of those beauties flying by at dusk....

John

Ed Donnelly
06-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Barry; I don't think anyone knows how many were built
4 Criterions on the registry
4 Criterion SS's on the registry
0 Criterion 11's on the registry

Built between 79 and 85
Farmer TX has one of the last built 84 and sold as an 85
Mine was built dec85 and was the last one...Ed

farmer tx
06-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Scott, Brownie did mine so he should know. I want to say they are 1/4 NPT but they may be 1/8 NPT.:confused: You know I turned 50 a couple of months ago so I have a valid excuse.:)

Also I had him weld the bungs on the inboard of the respective riser so I could run the thermocouple with the wiring along the valve covers.

superhatz
06-29-2006, 01:23 AM
What's the difference between the 3 models?

Ed Donnelly
06-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Mr. Poodle; The black Criterion was owned by Barry Gibbs of the BeeGees
Missed out on it by 10 minutes when it was sold by him many,many years ago.
Never thought to ask what model of Criterion it was,as I was so upset that I was too late:( :( ...Ed

Speed-Racer
06-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Criters are awesome, they ride much better due to being further back in the boat...now if we could get that in a GT look:yes:

Ed Donnelly
06-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Mr Poodle; I had Brownie install 4 bungs. 2 for the pyrometers and 2 for O2 sensors. I replaced the battery condition and amp gauge(drivers side) with Auto Meter AIR/FUEL ratio gauges Sport-Comp models. Mounting the bungs on the inside is a great idea Farmer. Wish I had thought of that......Ed

Barry Eller
06-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Who owns the Criterion in the Video Archives? Any more videos of it running?

farmer tx
06-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Sounds like Big Grizz!