PDA

View Full Version : I sunk my 22ZX...sortof

M3James
06-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Hello all,

I am officially an idiot.

On my first day out in my new (to me) 2000 Donzi 22ZX w/ 496 Mag HO and Bravo One, I forgot to put the plug in!! :bonk:

I didn't realize this until I noticed the bilge pump running constantly and was out of the channel. When I put the hammer down, the boat bogged down and wouldn't get on plane. I rushed back to the ramp and pulled the boat, but not before the motor ingested a lot of water...there was about twice as much oil in the motor as before, and it was milky as hell.

I changed the oil and filter (no metallic stuff in the oil, but there was a lot of water in there) and gave it another shot the next day. It fires up and idles fine, but when I went to put the hammer down...same response....the engine bogged down, the overheating alarm came on, and it won't get on plane. Idling back into the ramp, the oil pressure gauge showed low and then NO pressure...

Anyone have any advice? I didn't change the gas...but could water get in the gas? Maybe I should change the spark plugs?

Another thing I don't understand is how the water got into the motor to begin with...the block was probably 1/4 submerged at worst.

Any help would be very much appreciated...I'd love to get her back in the water for the 4th.

Thank you, James

mrfixxall
06-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Hello all,
I am officially an idiot.
On my first day out in my new (to me) 2000 Donzi 22ZX w/ 496 Mag HO and Bravo One, I forgot to put the plug in!! :bonk:
I didn't realize this until I noticed the bilge pump running constantly and was out of the channel. When I put the hammer down, the boat bogged down and wouldn't get on plane. I rushed back to the ramp and pulled the boat, but not before the motor ingested a lot of water...there was about twice as much oil in the motor as before, and it was milky as hell.
I changed the oil and filter (no metallic stuff in the oil, but there was a lot of water in there) and gave it another shot the next day. It fires up and idles fine, but when I went to put the hammer down...same response....the engine bogged down, the overheating alarm came on, and it won't get on plane. Idling back into the ramp, the oil pressure gauge showed low and then NO pressure...
Anyone have any advice? I didn't change the gas...but could water get in the gas? Maybe I should change the spark plugs?
Another thing I don't understand is how the water got into the motor to begin with...the block was probably 1/4 submerged at worst.
Any help would be very much appreciated...I'd love to get her back in the water for the 4th.
Thank you, James
The water probably got in are the dipstick goes into the oil pan,thate the only place i could think of or it wasnt winterized correctly and somting is cracked internaly...
now about your oil pressure,is their any knocking? and how many times did you change your oil after the motor took on water......i would have changed it at leaste 4>5 tiimes with 10 w 30 its easier to suck out and then 15w50 mobile 1 their after.....take off the oilfilter and cut it open and look for metal shavings...if you dont have a filter cutting tool like me then use a screw driver to get the hole started then a pair of tin snips to finish it off....once you have the filter element in your hand look between the crack in the filter if you have shavings then you spun a bearing then the motor has to come out...

Cuda
06-27-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm an old hand at getting oil/water mixture out. Use about half 30 wt oil, and half diesel fuel, and run it about five minutes at idle. It will cut all the emulsified oil in the engine. Generally, the next fill won't have any water in it.

Pull all the plugs, and turn it over several times. Check plugs, replace if necessary. Start it up on the hose, and make sure you have oil pressure. If no oil pressure, check the sending unit, but do not run the engine if there is any chance of not having any oil pressure.

How many hours on the engine?

joseph m. hahnl
06-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Water does not compress<if you got it in the combustion chamber it could easily have blown a head gasket. due a compession check while you got the plugs out.

Low Or No oil pressure can also be a spun rod or main bearing ,over heating can also make it loose oil pressure if you used to thin of oil.

joe

M3James
06-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Thank you guys for the advice. I'll keep my fingers crossed and give it another shot after changing the oil a few more times and checking the compression and sender.

The engine only has about 50 hrs on it....

joseph m. hahnl
07-01-2006, 09:48 AM
The engine only has about 50 hrs on it....

Aaaag !!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek!: The cursed 50 hours:boggled: , Get her to 51 and all your troubles will disapear:yes:

It would we better not to turn the crank excesivley. you dont want to score the Babbit. Turn the crank to line up the #1 cylinder on the harmonic balancer and the distributer> Pull the distributer out. take a long long screw driver or oil pump prime rod. stick in a drill and then stick it down the distributer hole and engage the oil pump shaft. spin it until it preasurizes . you should be able to see the oil pressure on your gauge and flush the diesle oil mix thru with out the chance of scoring .

good luck

joe