PDA

View Full Version : Flush/Winterization fitting...

Tony
06-27-2006, 10:32 AM
While the boat is laid up for hullside restoration, I'm looking for an 1 1/4" barbed tee with a female hose fitting on the bull end. Also, a check or shutoff valve to prevent the water/antifreeze from exiting the inlet line the wrong way.

Did all that make sense? Do they sell a "kit", or just one part, that does all that? In the south I imagine this would be used for fresh water flushing, in the north I plan on feeding antifreeze through the engine in the fall.

THANKS!

:beer:

Tony
06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah...kind of like this Perko Flush Pro Flush Valve (http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?keywords=engine%20flush%20kit&session_id=069676465&cart_id=252254649&list_time=1151422611&search_in_category=f&view_id=39356)!

Are there other options or choices that anyone knows about?
I could cobble up the same idea for about $5 at the local hardware store, but it would look like sh*t!

Tony
06-27-2006, 10:59 AM
I feel like I'm talking to myself!

Here are a couple of reviews of the Perko Flush Valve:

Strengths: Allows for FW to be passed through engine to clean out SW.
Weaknesses: PERKO does not tell you it will not work with an I/O engine. Did not work with my VOLVO 5.7 engines due to the air lock formed when the boat was taken out of the water. The SW pump cannot open the check valve to cool the engines. We almost burt up our engines.
Review Summary: PERKO should give more information on this unit. If the unit was below the water line of the boat and is flooded all the time, it would work great. I would give it a 5. But if it is above the waterline, watch out. You can cause major damage to your engines.

Strengths: Great idea but once it breaks you have just lost all of the convenience it saved you. Poor customer support from Perko.
Weaknesses: PLASTIC!!!!!!! It broke at the body of the outlet. No strain was placed on the product at all.
Review Summary: Installed and used for a year. Just broke while out. Got an high temp alarm on the engine and opened the engine hatch to see bilge filled with water and rushing in from Flush pro. Closed seacock and stuck water pump hose into bilge and limped back to launch ramp at 210 degrees! New impeller and 1 1/4" hose cost more than Flush pro. If you need something like flush pro make it out of brass. Do not install Plastic!!!! I learned my lesson.

Bob
06-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Try Eddie marine for fittings. They have all the standard hardware stuff but in polished stainless or chromed. A lot cheaper than iboats kit too.
My Hornet is plumbed with a ball valve after the strainer. Then a tee with another ball valve above it (ending in a hose fitting) to feed antifreeze into the engine. When winterizing, close first ball valve to make fluid go into block. In springtime, open first and close second.

MOP
06-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Tony another thought would be a (1) ball check valve before a T, a couple of brass nipples. When you wish to winterize remove the thermostat, shut the valve remove the cap clamp a hose over the fitting with the pickup end cut at a slight angle to keep good flow from the 5 gallon jug of anti freeze mix sitting next to the engine. Drain the block and manifolds, shut the cocks have your fogging oil ready and start it up. Let it run until there is about 4 inches left in the jug then fog it heavy and kill it, don't forget to change your oil & filter before hand. My guess at hardware store prices about $30, but bullistic compared to the plastic crap they want a fortune for.

Phil

CHACHI
06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Tony, my Minx (and alot of Donzi's form that time frame, 87ish) have a fresh water flush connection on the transom. The actual valve is also plastic like the Perko model however mine is an opaque plastic so I cannot see into it. Although I perfer to pour the antifreeze (RV type) directly into the block thru the water pump hose, I have used the flush out a few times with no problem. The plastic "valve" is not hard mounted to anything, it just floats in mid air being that it's attached to 3 hoses. Hope this confuses you some more. Ken

MOP
06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Gee is it not fun breaking on Tony!

hardcrab
06-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Livorsi Marine has a flush kit available for $95.
I have a similar set up on my boat; a deck/transom mount hose fitting in chrome on brass, ball cock and barbs (even has hose)
www.livorsi.com 1-877-548-5900