PDA

View Full Version : Need Work Situation Advice

apollo24
06-26-2006, 05:12 PM
I recently moved back to my hometown to take a position and turned down a good offer in my former city to do so. The President at the time promised me XYZ salary and commission based on the success of a couple key accounts that I was to be over. It sounded great- being over marketing and national sales accounts for a firm with 350 employees, $95 million/yr in sales. A week after moving here that President left to go work for our competition!!!

Anyway, I came to find out that those two key accounts were still being negotiated. Bottom line is that one went to our competitor (where former Pres is now their Pres). The other isn't really moving and isn't worth my time. I also handle our marketing company-wide.

My boss, our V.P., has been telling me that "they would take care of me and renegotiate my compensation based on the situation that happened." Well, today we (CEO/owner, new Pres and myself- my boss is out of town) sat down and they basically told me that they weren't going to do anything because they didn't pay people that much and that the former Pres. shouldn't have made those commitments.

Enter new President two weeks ago. With him came his son, who immediately got a created position, son's friends, and now I have President's wife (who happens to know everything) telling me how to do my job because she was in advertising 15 years ago- seriously, she is coming in every other day and giving me suggestions and telling me that she doesn't like this or that and that we need new designers, etc. Unbelievable. What would you guys do? Remember, I moved back up here, bought a house, etc. for this job and turned down a really good one in doing so. At least its my hometown, otherwise I would probably come in here and triple-tap some skulls.

The funny thing is that the new President actually suggested that I apply for his old job (Pres. of another firm that supplies to ours) today since I was so professional and have such an experienced background.

Should I bide my time, play by the rules and start looking for another opportunity? What else is there to do?

Geez.

gold-n-rod
06-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Bottom line is that one went to our competitor (where former Pres is now their Pres).
I'd talk to him about a position with his new firm. He must remember why he hired you in the first place.

Well, today we (CEO/owner, new Pres and myself- my boss is out of town)
Your boss is out of town interviewing for another job. 10 bux sez so.

Enter new President two weeks ago. With him came his son, who immediately got a created position, son's friends, and now I have President's wife
That's never a good sign. Nothing good can come from that. Won't be long and the his son (or wife) will want your job..... and get it.

The funny thing is that the new President actually suggested that I apply for his old job (Pres. of another firm that supplies to ours) today since I was so professional and have such an experienced background.
That's the most telling thing of the whole sorrid tale. Get looking for a new job. You can sell the house and relocate, you've done it before and you can do it again.

It's funny, when I first read the subject, I thought it said "Work STATION." I was going to suggest Steelcase or Herman Miller. Turns out a desk is the LEAST of your worries.

Good luck and keep us posted. Now, go find that new job!!!!! :bonk:

p729lws
06-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Ben,
Was the old job offer at Star or somewhere else? Do you like the boating scene better in MS or AL? And most importantly, will the blonde follow you back to Mobile?:crossfing
Dan

TuxedoPk
06-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Do a web search on "promissory estoppel". It sure sounds like you have grounds for a claim based on your detrimental reliance upon the company's offer. (Relocation, etc.)

Personally I'd avoid having any further negotiations with the company until I had a legal opinion of the value of this type of claim. You will have a much better understanding of whether you should be pushing for a seperation package or better compensation package.

LKSD
06-27-2006, 09:49 AM
I agree with TUX, but only if anything was in writing or recorded will something maybe able to be done, but will still be difficult. Also whil doing that maybe talk to your old boss about going to work in the company he is now at.. That is if you trust him & would be comfortable working there. Most good jobs are never advertised. They are made or faught over or requested. Good luck with your dilema.. Jamie :)

Ed Donnelly
06-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Go work for the old boss??? Sounds like HE screwed you over. Bonus on 2 accounts,one of which he takes with him a week after you start. I would go after the old boss too..New job is now a deadend street.. cut your losses and find a company with a bit more class.. Hope you have all the goodies in writing. Remember, what goes around,comes around..Good Luck...Ed

TuxedoPk
06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Ed, while I'm not a lawyer and I'm only intending to point someone in the right direction, I don't believe that he has any cause of action against the old boss who made the representations and left the company.

While its always nice to have things in writing, in cases of promissory estoppel it isn't a requirement. Basically it comes down to whether a "reasonable person" would have taken action on the promise to their detriment. http://facstaff.gallaudet.edu/marshall.wick/bus447/promissory_estoppel.html

Also, just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting going to court as the best means to resolve this. If it were me I'd be sitting down with the new mgmt and having an amicable discussion while explaining how I relied upon the company's representation, what is needed to remedy the situation, and establish a reasonable time frame for the new management to review the situation (and seek the advice of counsel if needed) and get back to me with their position.

Schnook
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
I agree with what Tux says, but seek legal counsel first. You don't want to undermine yourself by saying something in a meeting without knowing the ramifications of what you say. No need to sick the dogs on them yet, just make sure you're informed.