PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Purchase

True Blue
12-26-2003, 08:09 PM
Ok, boys and girls, after 18 months of lurking and occasionally posting on a variety of boating sites, Donzinet, Hotboat, Offshore only and Powerboating, I very close to pulling the trigger. Initially, I just confined myself to looking at the boats that captivated my imagination growing up on Long Island, the Donzi Classics. It took several months for me to realize that an 18 Classic was probably a bit small and that I should focus on a 22 Classic. That was as of last years NY Boatshow, exactly 1 year ago. Since then, I went to California on business and while there checked out the best of the West Coast custom boat builders, Howard, Ultra, Hallett and Laveycraft. Really nice boats folks. Took test rides in the Howard 25 Bullitt and and the Ultra 247 XS, both with the 496 HO motor. Yikes! Anyway, narrowed it down to the Donzi 22 Classic, 496 HO, well equipped ordered boat for $48,822, including shipping and dealer prep and the Ultra 247 XS, closed bow, 496 HO, have a ballpark price from the factory but going to their east coast dealership tomorrow on Long Island to really negotiate. I definitely do not want to make a mistake here. The Ultra is really well regarded, more amenities, fast stepped hull, very well built, good in rough water, higher freeboard, unbelievable gelcoat, better for family. The Donzi Classic is, well, a Donzi Classic, the best looking, raw, pure smaller speedboat built, better specifically for me, myself and I. I need guidance. Please provide.
Thank You,
Ken

BUIZILLA
12-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Ken, the only guidance that I thnk anyone can give you... is just to simply trust your heart.

J

Shanghied Again
12-26-2003, 09:13 PM
What Long Island Dealer? Thought thought they were all gone.

RedDog
12-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Ultra sounds like a really nice boat - Power Boat Report (http://www.powerboatmag.com/2000tests/may6.php)

But so is the 22 Classic - Report (http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2002tests/jan1.php) - this report is so stupid. Reports they would like to try this boat with less power. Lets see, if you don't push the stick thing so far forward, don't you have less power?

Anyway, these are 2 completely different boats. It just boils down to what do you want.

True Blue
12-26-2003, 09:52 PM
Frank, Ultra has a dealer in Long Island. Exit 56 on the LIE.
Ken

DonCig
12-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Ken, you asked for advice, so I will give you my vote. Donzi Classic 22. I don't own one, so I can say that my vote is unbiased.

Don

When in doubt, go with the proven first class product. You can always resell it if it does not work out.

Cuda
12-30-2003, 10:25 PM
Just ask yourself, do you remember anyone ever lusting for an Ultra?? :) Was it part of your dreams?? :)