PDA

View Full Version : Can you run a Merc propeller on an OMC King Cobra?

blackhawk
06-26-2006, 01:41 PM
A friend of mine needs a new prop for his Liberator and the OMCs are tough to find used. I put his prop on my Bravo drive and the spline seem to be ther same but the depth was different. Is there any kind of "kit" with thrust washers, spacers, etc (besides a flo-torq) that would allow him to run a Merc prop? I think his boat would run well with a Mirage and there a lot more out there used.

Thanks

Dr. Dan
06-26-2006, 01:54 PM
A friend of mine needs a new prop for his Liberator and the OMCs are tough to find used. I put his prop on my Bravo drive and the spline seem to be ther same but the depth was different. Is there any kind of "kit" with thrust washers, spacers, etc (besides a flo-torq) that would allow him to run a Merc prop? I think his boat would run well with a Mirage and there a lot more out there used.
Thanks

:bonk: Hawk ...My King has 15 Splines and you are correct the depth is different...as to my understanding you need to have the Prop ReHubbed to match the King Prop Shaft.

I have been purchasing the Turbos with the T-Lock Hubs... these allow me to share my Prop with my local buddies that have Merc Drives as long as they have the T- Lock Merc Kit... works pretty cool actually. The Brass Inserts have been very durable... and I have had no issues.

Doc :cool:

blackhawk
06-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks Dan, I know he could go to a T-loc, Flo-torq, etc but the main reason I asked is I can pick up a used 21 Mirage pretty cheap that is older.

It would seem that with the right thrust washer and aft adapter a merc prop could work. :confused:

mrfixxall
06-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks Dan, I know he could go to a T-loc, Flo-torq, etc but the main reason I asked is I can pick up a used 21 Mirage pretty cheap that is older.
It would seem that with the right thrust washer and aft adapter a merc prop could work. :confused:
yes it will work and they make a flo-torque hub for omc///if the mirage has a rubber hub in it you can press it out and use the flo torque hub in its place...

joel3078
06-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Hey blackhawk stay tuned. I have a perfect condition OMC Raker SSTL prop that has just been rehubbed. The old hub was slipping sometimes. I think the size is 14.5 x 21. I'll have to confirm the pitch. Anyway, it was from my King Cobra Black Widow boat and is too small a pitch for me. It is probably perfect for that Liberator. Shoot me a price your buddy wants to pay and I'll consider it. I'm gonna be ebaying it for $200 reserve very soon.

blackhawk
06-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Hey blackhawk stay tuned. I have a perfect condition OMC Raker SSTL prop that has just been rehubbed. The old hub was slipping sometimes. I think the size is 14.5 x 21. I'll have to confirm the pitch. Anyway, it was from my King Cobra Black Widow boat and is too small a pitch for me. It is probably perfect for that Liberator. Shoot me a price your buddy wants to pay and I'll consider it. I'm gonna be ebaying it for $200 reserve very soon.

He has a Raker 20 on it right now with some damage. A 21 might be the ticket. But $200 might be a little steep for him. He's just looking for a replacement, I'm trying to find him a prop that will pick him up a couple mph! :D

blackhawk
06-26-2006, 03:18 PM
yes it will work and they make a flo-torque hub for omc///if the mirage has a rubber hub in it you can press it out and use the flo torque hub in its place...

Well they make an OMC flo-torque but a rubber hub is round and a flo-torq is square. :confused:

blackhawk
06-26-2006, 03:25 PM

Actually he has a 25 Rapture that is in decent shape and too big for his boat. Would you consider taking it on trade if it would work on your boat?

joel3078
06-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Love to but 25" pitch is too big for me also. If my 500hp wet dream would happen then that 25 would be about right. For now stock 365hp will have to do. Have your buddy pay attention to our ebay auction under the seller name uniquemerchants. I'll post it to ebay in a couple days.

blackhawk
06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Love to but 25" pitch is too big for me also. If my 500hp wet dream would happen then that 25 would be about right. For now stock 365hp will have to do. Have your buddy pay attention to our ebay auction under the seller name uniquemerchants. I'll post it to ebay in a couple days.

Joel, PM me what $$$ it would take to sell it outright. I'll run it by him and see what he says. I see you're in MN and I'd like to hook him up before the weekend if possible.

Thanks

joel3078
06-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Playing with props costs money. Thanks to ebay, you can recover some of the costs. You have a PM now.